Debunkiing old wive's tales and myths

Beelzebub

Please take everything you read from this point on with a table spoon of salt and a sense of humor. I certainly am.

For starters, I'm relatively new to this site and have probably asked a few (ok, more than a few) dumb questions. Some even got answers I understood.

Two days ago I stumbled across a thread in this forum asking "which 243 bullet". It had like 6,000 views and bunches and bunches of replies. Poor kid admitted right up front that he was new to reloading and then made the all too often fatal error of asking "which 6MM bullet is best". ...And let the games begin..................................

I tried to read and follow some of the more in depth responses, but lost interest and moved on. Most of the "suggestions" I was reading came from expert reloaders with the best of intensions but again, most never had even held a 243 Winchester bullet, much less worked one up.

"""""Many, I'd start with Lapua brass, forstner dies, berger vlds, varget powder Federal gold match primers, 2 night force scopes, harris bipod, jeweled triggers,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

****, made me feel inadequate as hell. I've never seen a piece of Lapua brass, much less loaded one. Same thing goes for forstner, berger, varget, night force and jeweled triggers. But I did feel better when I saw the Federal Gold match primers. I've shot thousands of those, but in 38 Specials.

My brass is once fired Remington brass, sized with an old Lee FL sizing die and bullets (Amax's and SMK's) are seated with an RCBS standard seating die, measured with a $12.00 electronic/digital micrometer from Harbor Freight Tools. Powder is dispensed from an OLD RCBS dispenser.

I have no way of measuring head space, how far the ogive is sitting off the curly things in the barrel. My most accurate 3 loads in my 4 243's are off the internet. Grain for grain and .0001" for .0001".

I can't school anybody on what they NEED to do to START OUT other than be careful, patient and shoot a lots of different powders, bullets, primers and all at varied seating depths. Get in the ball park of what your rifle likes and tweak your loads by 1/10 grain and .002" at a time. No more than 1 shot per minute.

Here are some pictures of some targets. Each has load data along with the picture. These targets are shot with my gun (Remington 700 VLS) with a 9.125 twist. Don't ever let anyone dictate to you what this twist can do. Here's proof that this gun will MOST DEFINITELY stabilize the 105's and 107's and not marginally. 0.1xx and 0.2xx with the junk I own isn't marginal in my eyes.

Cheers,
B

Attachments

• 107 SMK .jpg
    107 SMK .jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 77
  • 305 yd plate.JPG
    305 yd plate.JPG
    111.5 KB · Views: 71
  • 0.jpg
    0.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 93
Reminds me of the which stock rifle is best, which caliber is best, etc. Always winds up with a custom 5k plus rifle and the almighty 338. LOL. Oh well, you get what you ask for when you ask. Even I tend to spew out some biased BS so wear some waders and dig through it to find the value in each persons experience.

I will say this though, not all rifle can shoot well with minimal work. Just because your rifles does not mean all will. I have a 204 that shoots **** near bug holes with factory ammo and I have 3 hand loads that I have spent very minimal time on that shoot .25MOA and less. This single rifle makes a guy feel like an expert. However, I have other rifles it took some serious work to get to shoot .25 to .5MOA consistently. Those rifles are the ones that separate luck from skill. I have luck on my side.

Nice!:D When it comes down to it the only "thing(s)" a person really needs is food, oxygen and more time to shoot!

And that's it and that's the only thing I need, is this. I don't need this or this. Just this ashtray. And this paddle game, the ashtray and the paddle game and that's all I need. And this remote control. The ashtray, the paddle game, and the remote control, and that's all I need. And these matches. The ashtray, and these matches, and the remote control and the paddle ball. And this lamp. The ashtray, this paddle game and the remote control and the lamp and that's all I need. And that's all I need too. I don't need one other thing, not one - I need this. The paddle game, and the chair, and the remote control, and the matches, for sure. And this. And that's all I need. The ashtray, the remote control, the paddle game, this magazine and the chair.And I don't need one other thing, except my dog.
I don't need my dog.

LMAO. You do need your dog. Any man worth anything has a dog, I don't mean yer average mut neither, I mean yer pure bred, like a Ssssshnowzer, or a ssshhhhhitsue. That is the kinda dawg right ther that keeps a man grounded, just by the dawg alone, you can tell he is an expert.....that and the look in his eye, if you can see his eye's behind those mirrored aviators.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.