Imperial Sizing Wax

I understand why you like the STP. It has what is known as a tackifier meaning it hangs on to whatever you apply it to and maintains lubricity. However the original STP formula contained Zinc Diphosphate which is a known carcinogen and should not come in contact with any skin or tissue. Should you insist you continue using it best be certain you use rubber gloves when using it for reloading. Before you continue using it would be advisable to request a MSDS (material safety data sheet)--the supplier is required to provide on request.
I do appreciate your concern but the STP is not gonna be what gets me

I understand why you like the STP. It has what is known as a tackifier meaning it hangs on to whatever you apply it to and maintains lubricity. However the original STP formula contained Zinc Diphosphate which is a known carcinogen and should not come in contact with any skin or tissue. Should you insist you continue using it best be certain you use rubber gloves when using it for reloading. Before you continue using it would be advisable to request a MSDS (material safety data sheet)--the supplier is required to provide on request.
This, I tend to stay away from petroleum stuff on my skin if possible. Lots of chemicals go into the processing of petrol in its various forms and byproducts.

Imperial Sizing isn't easy to find these days, most suppliers are out of stock.

I've been using Franklin Armory case lube recently, (which smells and feels like the old alcohol and lanolin mix I used to make?) with good results. I have a can of Hornady one shot, that I'm sure works fine, but I use it mostly for a release agent when barrel bedding. I have also used Lee sizing lube, liked it a lot until I ran out and got the Franklin Armory stuff if for no other reason than it's easier to apply. I tried using the RCBS lube for a while, wasn't crazy about it, picks up dirt and crud too easy. STP? Now that is something to consider? I'm just wondering, health warnings aside, how well it would clean up after use? And would it play hell with dies? I generally wash my brass in Dawn with Lemishine and dry or give it an alcohol dip after sizing to clean off the lubricants. Been doing it this way for about 40+ years with no issues. Got to admit though the STP trick would definitely be cost-effective if it washes off easily.

I know your gonna think I'm crazy but in all my years of reloading STP has worked the best for me, a bottle will last you a lifetime and it cleans the brass as well it's the sickest stuff I've ever used, Just food for thought
I know your gonna think I'm crazy but in all my years of reloading STP has worked the best for me, a bottle will last you a lifetime and it cleans the brass as well it's the sickest stuff I've ever used, Just food for thought
Hi ButterBean, You are not crazy, STP makes a great high pressure forming lube. I use it in conjunction with wool fat.. Try 15% STP to 85% wool fat to start and adjust the STP to the season temperature, the colder it is use more STP. When added together they tend to separate so I use a small saucepan half filled with water, brought to the boil and a bowl larger in diameter than the saucepan. The ingredients are placed in the bowl over the saucepan until liquid then stir with a spoon until they cool and not separate.

About 99% of everything on the face of the earth will cause something to go wrong sometime or another

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.