Imperial Sizing Wax

About 99% of everything on the face of the earth will cause something to go wrong sometime or another
I agree. I have a dozen MSDS sheets on the wall at the shop. I have been wrenching for a living since the 70's and still in better health than my cousin that works in an office. I will try the STP, since it's on the shelf already. Always willing to try something new and never stop learning. I hope you meant rubbing alcohol to clean, because I am stingy with my Cognac.

If you have ever changed your motor oil ONCE you have probably received more bad chemical exposure than a lifetime of reloading using STP.
Heck, even just checking your oil level on the dipstick is probably worse if you were not careful.
Being realistic, something else will get me first. And that's the thing about life, no one gets out alive.
Read that the "old" Hoppes #9 cleaner trademark smell was benzene. Read up on that one.
I may drink water, but I sterilize it with scotch or bourbon for safety.
Thanks for all the lube alternative ideas.

I agree. I have a dozen MSDS sheets on the wall at the shop. I have been wrenching for a living since the 70's and still in better health than my cousin that works in an office. I will try the STP, since it's on the shelf already. Always willing to try something new and never stop learning. I hope you meant rubbing alcohol to clean, because I am stingy with my Cognac.
Pour me a shot will ya and let me know what you think, It will amaze you how easy it makes resizing

In the past when time was more important than money, I would clean my cases after sizing with spray electrical contact cleaner. Spread them outside on a shop towel and spray away. Did lots of bulk batch prep. Squeaky clean and dry in minutes.

Acetone is normally easy to source and gets rid of oily residue. Dries fast as well. Re-usable. Dump cases in the fluid and drop through cloth to strain the acetone.

But olive oil tastes better than STP. LOL

Seriously, I would agree with Butterbean, there are a lot of other things that will cause his or others' demise. Remember that if you drink water and breathe air, I (MD Orthopedic Surgeon and BSEE) guarantee you will eventually die. That being said, there are some things about all petroleum distillates alone that can possibly cause cumulative effects, notwithstanding the effects of zinc lubricants. The MSDS for STP Oil Treatment shows the following:

GHS Classification: Physical: Not Hazardous Health: Not Hazardous
FIRST AID: Skin Contact: Rinse skin with plenty of water. If skin irritation or redness develops, seek medical attention.
PPE: Gloves: Impervious gloves such as neoprene or nitrile are recommended if needed to avoid prolonged or repeated skin contact
TOXICOLOGICAL INFORMATION: Carcinogenicity Listing: None of the components is listed as a carcinogen or potential carcinogen by IARC, NTP, ACGIH or OSHA.

So the method of STP on a sponge or rag and applied only with a dab on the fingers is PROBABLY not going to cause any significant problems. However just to be a safe as possible I would probably use while wearing a pair of nitrile gloves then a wipe off with a clean rag which should be a reasonable thing to do. DocZ
Agree. According to the state of California, every part that the shop has purchased in the last couple years, causes cancer and birth defects. I feel safer knowing that I don't live in California.

As a friendly heads up I decided to give resizing wax/lube a try as I was having difficulty resizing my brass and needed it RIGHT NOW and low and behold I found Hornady Unique case Lube in stock at my local Cabela's and bought it. Have used it to resize about 150ish 300wsm, 100 300wm and 100-125 35 Remington pieces of brass and it has worked superbly well.

Noticed immediately a decrease in the effort needed to FL or body only resize all of my brass and was most impressed by what I can best describe as a consistently buttery smooth resizing process, gone were the jerkiness I sometimes experienced both on the down and up through's of the press handle. A very minute, miniscule amount goes a LONG way.

Hornady Unique case Lube is all I will ever use again.

Those having difficulty or are unable to finding Imperial sizing wax may want to consider using Hornady Unique Case lube it is in paste form is non-petroleum and is advertised as will not adversely affect/contaminate primers or powder. It's about $5 for a 4oz tub.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.