Imperial Sizing Wax

I hate to say this in public, but I had a friend back about 40 years ago tell me all he ever uses is Vaseline. I thought he was nuts. Then one day I was out of lube so I thought about the Vaseline thing so I thought I would try it. I never bought case lube again. Never bought Vaseline again because I'm still on the original jar. A little goes a long way. Small batches wipe off with rag. Big batches tumble for half hour or so. Just get a trace on the fingertips and roll case between thumb and fingers.

There, I said it. Hope you don't think I'm to crazy. I'll continue to wittle away at my jar for another 40 years and you do what you got to do.
OMG !!!!!!!! What ???????? Your using Vaseline, You do know it doesn't say case lube on the jar so it cant be used

laugh.gif

What does this have to do with case lube ??????

What does this have to do with case lube ??????
Looking in this same question you will see one answer in response that says he over annealed his brass and I was mentioning annealing makes a difference and it applies to ease of sizing. Trying to show importance of brass hardness or softness is just as important as what lube to use. Apologies for the comment.

But olive oil tastes better than STP. LOL

Seriously, I would agree with Butterbean, there are a lot of other things that will cause his or others' demise. Remember that if you drink water and breathe air, I (MD Orthopedic Surgeon and BSEE) guarantee you will eventually die. That being said, there are some things about all petroleum distillates alone that can possibly cause cumulative effects, notwithstanding the effects of zinc lubricants. The MSDS for STP Oil Treatment shows the following:

GHS Classification: Physical: Not Hazardous Health: Not Hazardous
FIRST AID: Skin Contact: Rinse skin with plenty of water. If skin irritation or redness develops, seek medical attention.
PPE: Gloves: Impervious gloves such as neoprene or nitrile are recommended if needed to avoid prolonged or repeated skin contact
TOXICOLOGICAL INFORMATION: Carcinogenicity Listing: None of the components is listed as a carcinogen or potential carcinogen by IARC, NTP, ACGIH or OSHA.

So the method of STP on a sponge or rag and applied only with a dab on the fingers is PROBABLY not going to cause any significant problems. However just to be a safe as possible I would probably use while wearing a pair of nitrile gloves then a wipe off with a clean rag which should be a reasonable thing to do. DocZ

But olive oil tastes better than STP. LOL

Seriously, I would agree with Butterbean, there are a lot of other things that will cause his or others' demise. Remember that if you drink water and breathe air, I (MD Orthopedic Surgeon and BSEE) guarantee you will eventually die. That being said, there are some things about all petroleum distillates alone that can possibly cause cumulative effects, notwithstanding the effects of zinc lubricants. The MSDS for STP Oil Treatment shows the following:

GHS Classification: Physical: Not Hazardous Health: Not Hazardous
FIRST AID: Skin Contact: Rinse skin with plenty of water. If skin irritation or redness develops, seek medical attention.
PPE: Gloves: Impervious gloves such as neoprene or nitrile are recommended if needed to avoid prolonged or repeated skin contact
TOXICOLOGICAL INFORMATION: Carcinogenicity Listing: None of the components is listed as a carcinogen or potential carcinogen by IARC, NTP, ACGIH or OSHA.

So the method of STP on a sponge or rag and applied only with a dab on the fingers is PROBABLY not going to cause any significant problems. However just to be a safe as possible I would probably use while wearing a pair of nitrile gloves then a wipe off with a clean rag which should be a reasonable thing to do. DocZ
My point exactly, Thanks Doc

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.