I want a legit argument against an old trusted cartridge

While some of the new, specialized, high velocity cartridges are "trendy" and great for a narrow field of uses.....there comes a point of "diminishing returns". When you add 20% more powder for a 5% (or less) gain in velocity....I believe you've effectively reached that point! memtb

The best argument I have against the old cartridges is kind of two parts. First everything absolutely depends on specific needs and wants. All things being equal though, you can get bigger quality factory ammo for cheaper with some of the newer cartridges than you can with the old ones. Powder and projectile technology has come a long ways in the last 15 yrs and so looking at common loading in factory configurations there is a great argument to be made for the newer cartridges.

Second, and in my opinion probably the biggest argument against the older cartridges is recoil. Not because of the sissy man bun people around the country, no. For an adult male or female with a muzzle brake or not, a hunting rifle and recoil should not be much of a consideration. But what about getting the next generation into shooting and hunting? I don't want my daughter to learn how to shoot a gun with a 7mm mag because I don't want to have to wait til she is 14 or older to handle the recoil. Besides that, when she does learn, she will develop such a terrible flinch as most of us did when we learned with dad's 30-06 or 7mm, that she will not enjoy it and probably hinder her shooting abilities. Same goes for my son. Sure he can man up, but if I can make it more enjoyable for my kids to go shooting and prepare to go hunting, I will. Then make him shoot a mans gun when he becomes a man lol. I will pass on my dad's 30-06 to my son but I bet ya it won't be his go to when we want to go spend a day on the range!

I am only saying this because you specifically asked for arguments against the old cartridges and specifically the 7mm mag. That's the only arguments I can think of. I like different cartridges so personally I'm looking at more of a 7mm-300wm wildcat or a 7mm-300 Norma because from what I have researched, the 7mm seems to be the best BC to size/weight/sectional density combination of projectiles that we have now and yes, grown adults should be able to shoot and handle heavy recoiling rifles especially for hunting. 1-2 shots is all you should need and who can't handle that??

I have no issues with the 7mm Rem Mag it is still one of the most accurate and has the largest variety of bullets! I am a big fan of the 7mm STW over all three of my Nosler 28's. Both the Nosler 26 and 28's are temperamental and require excessive work. My 7 STW out performs my Nos 28 by a good 30%. I'm currently pushing a 168gr ABLR at 3352fps safely at 10,000 ft alt at 30 degrees and below. Of course I do use a 28" Bartlien barrel. I did get both my Noslers to preform after new Bartlien barrels were installed. No sure who Nosler uses for barrels but not a fan! My 26 took 300 rounds to break in and by then it was 3/4 gone!

Hasn't anyone ever ever heard that belted magnums are icky??
gettyimages-82099198-1024x1024.jpg

The muffin top.
That there is the belt on a cartridge. Nothing wrong with it, buuuut.......lol

But seriously I have my sendero decked out 7mmRM and love it. I also have a 3006 I inherited from my brother. For what I ever hunt I need nothing more. I am a huge 7 rm fan where everything just flops for me it seems.

I do have the desire for a custom job more to scratch an itch I am thinking. Zero need for it at all. I would NEVER use it to its capabilities ever as I have no need for it. I dont shoot distances you boys do as a 500 yard shot to me is like 2 miles to me its insanely long. I live in a state NJ where my average shot is about 40 yards max. I am now going to SC with a guide with some friends of my gun club so I can stretch it it good bit more in open fields.
7mm can do anything I will ever do. So you win not us . 7 mm rocks and I totally agree with you.

Think you may be missing the big point. A new cartridge is a reason to buy a new gun, new dies, new powder, new scopes, etc. it's not to replace one. Don't fight the new stuff, embrace it. I love all the new stuff, but I most often grab my browning 300wm. It's tried and true. Never lets me down. Although, I still can't get the courage to embrace that creedmoor.

Think you may be missing the big point. A new cartridge is a reason to buy a new gun, new dies, new powder, new scopes, etc. it's not to replace one. Don't fight the new stuff, embrace it. I love all the new stuff, but I most often grab my browning 300wm. It's tried and true. Never lets me down. Although, I still can't get the courage to embrace that creedmoor.

A "somewhat" valid point.....however, that money "could" be spent on hunting trips, additional loading components (for stuff you already own), a vacation, ect. Just say'n! memtb

I have one and I'm happy with it. It has worked well on everything I used it for.
I probably would take my 338LM for big bears but for anything else it will work!
I was really thinking on a 280AI but I can't justify the $$$ with really no gain in performance.
Well you stepped on my toes emotionally about the 280 AI.. I think it's a perfect fit between the big mags and the many great smaller cartridges from 25 to 270 classes. It's just slightly less than the belted mag 7mm with less powder, recoil, and same bullets. But..it's really a reloaders rifle since ammo is hard to find and pricey. Emotionally it's great choice vs 7mag but I wouldn't take my 280ai to Alaska after those big coastal Brown Bears...those need 338 mag medicine in my opinion. I agree with you 100%. You can kill them with less but I want lots of ft pounds energy on them..when hunting things higher in the food chain I go big mags, strong heavy bullets and feel good about it. It was a coin flip for me when deciding which to buy many years ago between 7 mag and 280 AI. Don't know what I would do if had to go down to just one rifle for everything..probably end up with the 300WSM or 338WM to comfortably cover all the dangerous game hunts. Admittedly spooked on the big bears!!!!

I started off my hunting career with a 7mm Remington Magnum. It never failed me but eventually I was bitten by the "bigger and better" bug. I switched to a 300 win mag which I believed would serve me well with a little more knock down power, if I ever made it to Alaska to hunt big bears.

I shortly realized elk, dear, antalope, and black bear don't know the difference between the 300 and 7mm... it's more about shot placement and the type of bullet being used.

So I went back the the 7mm because of less recoil and better wind fighting capabilities.

Then I was bitten by the "newest shinniest" bug. I picked the next cartridge by going backwards. I wanted the highest BC, highest SD bullet made, which was at the time the 7mm 195 Berger EOL. Then found the cartridge which would push it the fastest and flattest, the 28 Nosler (besides the Allen mags and other wildcats).

After messing with the 28 Nosler for probably 2 rifles, 5 barrels, maybe 2000 rounds within the last year... I don't know it's worth it.

The 7mm Remington Magnum will kill anything. It's cheap. It doesn't kick bad with a muzzle brake. I could hunt around the world and if I lose my hand loads, I can find ammo. I believe it is the best all around, do anything, caliber ever made.

It has better ballistics and more power than all the small target cartridges (6mm, 6.5mm Creedmoor and x47 Lapua, 6.5- 284, the BR range of cartridges, and 308 win). Yet is far cheaper, less recoil, more available and easier on barrels than the "bigger and better" or "new and shiny" cartridges like 26 and 28 Nosler, 300 rum, 6.5-300 weatherby and the like.

I guess I want a valid argument (I hope you win) as to why any caliber out there is better than the 7 mag, because the more I try new things, the more I get pulled back to my 7.
Are you looking for an excuse or an argument? Here's both.... have you watched the Hobbit...if so you know PRECIOUS the character and.....OH SHINNY....SHINNY... PRECIOUS LOVES SHINNY! About all the explanation I use and excuse to try more.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts