.280 , 284, 7mm mag, 270 wbm

With all the reading I've done and the advice im receiving there are more checks in the 280 ai column.

I really don't want a 30 inch barrel, plus it seems easier to get a 280 ai. I located a dealer in pa, and it will take a year to get. No big deal I can wait.

What's barrel life like on the 280 ai. Unless it's gunshot , I don't think I feel safe buying a used rifle. But once I place my order I can't go back.

The 280 is more versatile and more practical, it's a better choice for me. I can't see myself hunting with a 30 inch barrel , and I don't want to.
Unless you run one hot and just keep shooting it and do so repeatedly the barrel life on the 280 AI will be at least 2,000rds and probably more.

Don't be afraid to buy used, just go through a dealer who has a gunsmith that can inspect the chamber and have one on your end to confirm it.

When I buy used that's how I always do it and have yet to have a problem. I also send the payment to the FFL holder with instructions to only turn it over after the weapon has been delivered, inspected and is what it's represented to be.

I've bought 7 rifles now from LRH members and every one of them has proven to be a good deal.

Yes Ohio the nosler is a custom gun, but there are dealers (gun shops) that order certain models . The shop I found is going to place a order in a few weeks.

Either way it's going to be a one year wait, which is ok. I only need half down now, and it's cheaper than going directly through nosler. I don't know all of the custom gun makers, but of the ones I looked at nosler has the best price for what I want.

I'm pretty sure that their 280 ai has a custom magazine that's made for the round. It doesn't seem to smart to me to make custom gun and not have a magazine to accommodate the round.

If it's the case well than ill get a gun where the round and magazine work together. Nothing is set in stone yet. It has to function, or it's of no use to me. I'm getting something that I want to keep not to throw together , hate and get rid off.

Thanks wildrose that's good info, I have never bought a used gun. That's my biggest fear, is getting burned up barrel.

Also some of the used guns are almost as much as a new one. That's my other reasoning. If I'm going to pay that kind of money I might as well go new. Plus I only need half down to start and the balance when complete. I like that too.

Yes Ohio the nosler is a custom gun, but there are dealers (gun shops) that order certain models . The shop I found is going to place a order in a few weeks.

Either way it's going to be a one year wait, which is ok. I only need half down now, and it's cheaper than going directly through nosler. I don't know all of the custom gun makers, but of the ones I looked at nosler has the best price for what I want.

I'm pretty sure that their 280 ai has a custom magazine that's made for the round. It doesn't seem to smart to me to make custom gun and not have a magazine to accommodate the round.

If it's the case well than ill get a gun where the round and magazine work together. Nothing is set in stone yet. It has to function, or it's of no use to me. I'm getting something that I want to keep not to throw together , hate and get rid off.
Just build it on a long action and you won't have any issues. It will feed just fine with standard adl/bdl bottom metal and there are lots of quality aftermarket bottom metal/magazine combos out there to be had so any competent gunsmith can tell you what you need.

These kinds of projects are also a lot less painful if you buy the parts here and there as you come across a good deal.

Sorry Ham.. our idea of "custom" differs. On the mag issue I was thinking about my savage 280 which will not mag load berger 180's with an OAL of 3.535" which would leave the 195's at about 3.65ish. But savages are a considerably shorter than rem.

Sorry Ham.. our idea of "custom" differs. On the mag issue I was thinking about my savage 280 which will not mag load berger 180's with an OAL of 3.535" which would leave the 195's at about 3.65ish. But savages are a considerably shorter than rem.
This is just another reason why I recommend the 700 actions. They have about the longest internal magazine of any of the mass-produced bolt actions available.

I don't think I'd have a need to shoot 195s .I could be wrong but a nosler 280 ai would have to be made from the ground up to shoot 280 ai rounds. That's a question I will ask.

I don't think I'd have a need to shoot 195s .I could be wrong but a nosler 280 ai would have to be made from the ground up to shoot 280 ai rounds. That's a question I will ask.
Nah, you can turn just about any long action with a standard .473" bolt face into a .280 AI with a simple barrel swap, or opening up the chamber, if you already have a .280 Remington.

Part my reasoning for these calibers, except for the 7mm mag. Is I like to be different. I don't buy to resell. I have my very first gun.

Ammo shouldn't be a problem for me, since it will only be shot occasionally. Ill get ammo way ahead.

Should I or do I need to worry about rem 700 safety with all the recall issues.thanks.

No.

7mag is a lot more round than any of those others that you listed. My personal preference would be the 270mag, but it's just that, a preference. All will do the job just fine. Maybe look at a 6.5 Creedmoor?

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.