280 Ackley or 284 Win

buckbrush

My wife's 270 has seen a lot of rounds so we were thinking about a re-barrel to one of these chamberings. This is a long action gun. Any thoughts about either one?

Apparently, the 284 with RL17 can really make the 168 Bergers scream.

Thanks.

.280 Ackley. Winchester admits there was no reason to chamber the model 70 in the .284 because it had no advantage over the .270, back in the day.
The other reason? Try to find .284Win brass right now.
.280 Ackley brass is available pre-formed nowadays, and just about everybody carries it.

They're both good cartridges, but... if it were me... I would go with a 7 WSM since you already have the bolt for it. to go with eithe of the others, you need a new bolt or new bolt face. If you're concerned about barrel life, you can load it down a little and still have the ballistics of the others. Of the two you mentioned, I would go withe the Ackley. RL17 should work well with it also.

- Mark

Actually, I'd have to get a different bolt for the 7 WSM since my bolt face is currently 0.473". For brass, I was going to use 6.5-284 Lapua brass and neck it up. It's cheaper than the 280 AI Nosler brass.

It looks like the 280 AI case gives about 7-8% more case capacity though. Recoil is a concern too since this is for my wife. She's only 105# and has to pack it AND shoot it so it has to be light.

Thanks for the discussion so far.

Actually, I'd have to get a different bolt for the 7 WSM since my bolt face is currently 0.473". For brass, I was going to use 6.5-284 Lapua brass and neck it up. It's cheaper than the 280 AI Nosler brass.

It looks like the 280 AI case gives about 7-8% more case capacity though. Recoil is a concern too since this is for my wife. She's only 105# and has to pack it AND shoot it so it has to be light.

You have two options at this point. Put a break on it, or use low power loads. I think that the 6.5x284 is a good option. You can get it in either Norma or Lapua. Lapua would be my choice. You can load with a 140grn or 150grn bullet and it would still be a hammer.

Tank

My apology, I thought I had read 270 WSM instead of 270. I have never shot a 280 AI,but have read that their recoil isn't real bad, but I wouldn't attempt to promise you anything. The 284 Win might be the way to go. The 7-08 with RL17 should also be a good option. But... then again, i'm not sure that 280 AI is going to kick much more than the 270 and you could put a decelerator recoil pad on it. It would be nice if she could shoot one first.

I found a good deal on a .284WIN Lothar Walthar Savage prefit barrel a couple of months ago and have been braking it in and doing load development. It is on a long action Savage that used to be a .270.

Brass is not an issue, I got some 6.5x284 Norma brass from a buddy and used the Sinclair neck turning, expander mandrel to size it up to .284. Since the mandrel is straight it does not make doughnuts.

Also, found Winchester .284 brass with no problem.

This is a wonderfull cartridge to work with, good accuracy with beginning loads with 168 and 180 Berger VLDs right off.

Recoil is mild although I do have a fairly heavy Savage varmint taper barrel.

You will not be disappointed with a .284WIN.

Only downside is there is no commercially available loaded ammo. I don't care about that because I don't buy loaded ammo anyway.

I have no experience with the .280/.280AI so can't provide a direct comparision. Although I do have a .270WIN which is very enjoyable to shoot also. Don't think you can go wrong with any of these.

Good luck with your build!

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.