Torn between the 280 ai and the 7mm rem mag

I was pretty sure I'd build a Long Range Hunter in 7mm Rem Mag ( or buy one) for shooting 180gr bullets. But now I'm starting to like the idea of a 280 AI since it can come close with a 26" barrel. It'll serve dual duty of hunting elk at probably not great distances, but possible targets out to a mile. Who's out there with set up with 24-28" barrels?
Update: Sorry I should of mentioned I'll probably be focusing on 175gr-180gr bullet weight class. Loads for that weight and 24-28 inch barrels would be appreciated. Thanks.

Between your two choices, "my" personal preference is the 7MM RM. I considered the .280 AI before but went with a .270 AI with 30" Lilja 1:8" 3G barrel instead.

Good luck and Happy safe shooting/hunting.

Between your two choices, "my" personal preference is the 7MM RM. I considered the .280 AI before but went with a .270 AI with 30" Lilja 1:8" 3G barrel instead.

Good luck and Happy safe shooting/hunting.
I still could go that route. My JC Higgins with a bad chamber would probably clean up in 270AI. Unfortunately the barrel is only 22" long. And the die cost is pretty high. I saw a picture of your 270AI and it's a nice rig. Devastating on coyotes!

I still could go that route. My JC Higgins with a bad chamber would probably clean up in 270AI. Unfortunately the barrel is only 22" long. And the die cost is pretty high. I saw a picture of your 270AI and it's a nice rig. Devastating on coyotes!

Unless you already have a 1 in 8" twist in your 270 barrel, you're going to need a new barrel anyway to accomplish what FEENIX has done with his rifle. The standard factory 1 in 10" twist of the 270 Win and other .277" diameter offerings, has always been the biggest drawback in that caliber to me. With a 1 in 8" twist, the 270 Win really unleashes its potential!

But, if you're going to have to rebarrel anyway, sticking with the original idea of a 280 AI with a 1 in 8" twist makes sense, unless you are willing to alter the bolt face as well... in which case the 7 mags come into play.

I get the same result on deer too! Unfortunately, the wapitis remain elusive. :cool:

Last edited:
Unless you already have a 1 in 8" twist in your 270 barrel, you're going to need a new barrel anyway to accomplish what FEENIX has done with his rifle. The standard factory 1 in 10" twist of the 270 Win and other .277" diameter offerings, has always been the biggest drawback in that caliber to me. With a 1 in 8" twist, the 270 Win really unleashes its potential!

But, if you're going to have to rebarrel anyway, sticking with the original idea of a 280 AI with a 1 in 8" twist makes sense, unless you are willing to alter the bolt face as well... in which case the 7 mags come into play.

Agreed!

The guys at Rokslide shot the 165gr Matrix and 170gr EOL in their 1-10" twist barrels so it's possible in a standard 270 win. But I pretty much agree that a 1-10" isn't the best option. 7mm RM is still doable, easy in the m98, but harder and more expensive in my pushfeed Model 70. Decisions, decision lol. It's all on hold right now anyways. But thanks for the input.

I really like both cartridges. Seems like 3000 fps is doable in most 26" 7mm RM barrels with a 180gr ELD-M. But with less powder and the same barrel if I can get 2900 fps with the 280 AI and the 180gr ELDM I'd be pretty happy.

I really like both cartridges. Seems like 3000 fps is doable in most 26" 7mm RM barrels with a 180gr ELD-M. But with less powder and the same barrel if I can get 2900 fps with the 280 AI and the 180gr ELDM I'd be pretty happy.

Nice dilemma! Can hardly go wrong either way, so long as you choose the proper twist rate. :D

Twist isn't hard to figure out. The issue for the 270 AI is dies, 200 bucks is the cheapest die set. 35-90 bucks get's you a decent die set for the 280 AI.

Twist isn't hard to figure out. The issue for the 270 AI is dies, 200 bucks is the cheapest die set. 35-90 bucks get's you a decent die set for the 280 AI.

If you truly like the idea of building a 270 AI, don't let a measly $150 difference in dies hold you back! It is much better to save a bit longer and get what you truly want, than to kick yourself in the rear for the next 10 to 20 years wishing that you hadn't settled for less than you really wanted!

Last edited:
That money could go towards a barrel. but the biggest issue is bullet selection. The bullet I would use in the 270 would be the 170gr EOL. After that there isn't a heavy/ high BC bullet available. In the 280 AO I'd concentrate on the 180gr ELDM, after that there are what at least 5 heavy/ high BC bullets to select from. Having the bullet selection increases the odds for a useful rifle IMO. It's nice to have a bullets selection. You know barrels, they don't always like the bullets we want to shoot.

Don't forget that Hammer is making some excellent "heavy for caliber" solids in many calibers now, that you could take advantage of with faster twist barrels.

I love the Hammer Hunters!

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.