What is the difference between a 7 Rem Mag and a regular 7mm

Our elections up here are basically over once the east is done voting. Reading what you wrote about Trudea is funny but oh so true his wife defiately wears the pants in that family. I think what got him elected ws his promise legalize Marijuana.

I told people back in 2015, when the campaigns were running here, that if Trump guaranteed to legalize pot, he'd win by a landslide. He never said anything about legalization, and won the electoral college by a landslide anyway. But if he had said he would legalize (and the Dems hadn't rigged those 3.5 million illegal votes), I bet he'd have won popular vote by like 75+%. :D

Personally, I think it should be legalized and decriminalized, but that's just me. I think drugs are bad, but marijuana is not a drug, IMO. It has more pros than cons. I don't smoke it, but I have before. I have chronic back pain from motorcycle wrecks, and I don't take anything for it, because i don't trust big pharmaceutical companies. I tough it out with the three "A's"... Advil, Aleve, and alcohol. If weed were to be decriminalized, then I could use it as a natural pain reliever (while still being able to own weapons), and anti-inflammatory agent. But, since it's currently illegal, I don't use it at all. Currently on the books, even if you legally use medical marijuana and hold a card, you are a prohibited person from purchasing a firearm in the United States...Even if you've never committed a crime. Pretty messed up, huh?

Last edited:
It is funny I have never heard mention of that any where. From what I am learning lately we are in big trouble if the mind set of the millenials can't be changed. They are so social media brain washed that the truth no longer exists out there.

WR you are right there is no regular 7mm but there is still the original the 7x57. I suppose that could be called the regular.. If that were the case most newer 7mm's could be mags because they are in some cases a lot faster with more case capacity. I do not remember how the term magnum got its name but I believe it meant a larger then normal volume. In fact I think if I remember the name came from the wine industry. I guess my explanation should have read larger then normal container volume.

I hear you mud runner.

A trick for me is to eliminate the working argument of,,, we could refer to the debate and puzzles in life.

Some times, not always I like to finish up with "for those that choose to", or "IMO only= IMO Only." If In dought i''ll end with "hopefully more wrong than right."
LOL.

So in my IMO only, I'm guessing it "could" depend on what day of age a person was on the planet,,, purhaps where one grew up might be considered in the puzzle.

Maybe the 30/06 was the crown and Jewel of standard of 7mm. It is close to the category of 7.62. Doo Noo.

Funny thing is that very few people these days challange the "Known math".

To me, and me only, the 270 caliber is the closest bullet to 7mm then a 7mm.
Very suprized that after all these years that no humans on the planet have challanges the math on this,,, oh well. Purhaps us humans are not as wize as we seem. """"No disrespect to humans my friend."""

Many past moons ago in a far away land, I'm guessing the first standard 7mm was a rock or stick,,, that's not saying that there wasn't a spear tip or Wholly Mammoth spear tip bone that fit that category. One would guess that earth offered endless standard 7MB's,,, now thinking about it,,,, what's in a bullet or trajectile. Hummmmm, life becomes confusing now.

Purhaps its wize too fast forward a few 10.000 years,,, a standard 7mm way back when "might" of been a 7x57.
Maybe this standard is a 7mm Mag. Would the 7mm Ultra or Nosler 28 be the new standard if we were born in year 2002,,,guess we won't know this since it hasn't happened yet now that we're not alive yet.

Boy this gets confusing.

Ho Hummmmm,,, life comes with endless challanges, some find it wize, others not so much... For those that choose to follow puzzling discoveries threw out life. Again my friend,,, each to their own as its not my job in life to tell people what they wish to find out for them selves.

Any input, thoughts, ideas in my pumpkin are mine, I own mine just as much as other folk own theirs... That way it allows us to be us,,, if we can't be who we are than we can't be us.

Purhaps the saying of us humans "not being real" is true. That is for those of us that choose to research stuff like this.

Well its harvest time, I'm off in my standard 7mm rocket ship into the bliss of unknowns as I search to planet looking for the 7x7 extra large many times over 7mm Elk. Beginning how far we are spaced apart.

Purhaps the old saying is true,,, answer a question with a wize follow up question since clarification with communication solves all puzzles in life,,, ok,,, not all or we would be living the dream of 5mm or 13 depending if the sun cones up this morning. LOL.

Good luck on your quest as the unknown if life are here to challange us along the way.

Reporting from the Eastern Slopes of Western Canada as I'm some where no where found but lost.

Don, hopefully more wrong than right

well, it is possible that the individual posing the question is simply ignorant of common terminology; however, there is a chance that the word "regular" or "standard" was in fact carefully chosen to facilitate a metaphysical discussion about the eventualities of time and space.

For example, if the question was asked in late 19th century Latin America, or even South Africa of the same period, a "regular 7mm" would refer to the 7x57mm round fired from a Mauser rifle.....

edited.

Last edited:
Riflehunter1776... I agree with what you're saying, but you do realize that all of those "7mm's" you listed, other than the 7x57 and 7mm-08, are all actually .30 calibers and not 7mm bores, right?

Riflehunter1776... I agree with what you're saying, but you do realize that all of those "7mm's" you listed, other than the 7x57 and 7mm-08, are all actually .30 calibers and not 7mm bores, right?

my post was meant to be a joke reflecting the vague concept of a "regular 7mm" which could mean almost anything depending on who's saying it. Having worked at a few gun stores, I've heard many comments like that which lead you down a path of trying to figure out what, if anything, a customer actually knows.

But since I'm new here and dont want to ruffle any feathers, if my humor was that abstract, I'll just delete it rather than cause more concern.

I reload for about 30 different cartridges right now, and have been reloading for over 25 years.

Last edited:
I think what's happening is that your friend is thinking about where the bullet hits the mark.

He's come to the realization that cartridge differences don't necessarily mean bullet differences.

To us, 300 fps extra velocity means extra range which is a real difference. But looked at another way, the cartridge itself doesn't change the bullet or it's affect given the same velocity.

A 140 grain Nosler Accubond fired from a 7mm-08 or a 7mm rem mag is still a 140 Accubond. Both bullets are identical.

You could shoot a deer at 300 yards with 7mm-08 and the bullet will be traveling about 2280 fps. You could shoot that same deer at 450 to almost 500 yards and the bullet will be traveling at that same speed. So there would be no real difference as far as bullet effect goes on the animal except that the 7mm rem mag has the same affect about 150 to almost 200 yards further away.

In your friends's mind, at some range and bullet choice, a 7mm-08 and a 7mm-rem mag are identical. He is correct. In our mind, the difference is more range and the increased practicality of loading much heavier bullets in the mag. We are correct.

No my friend has no idea in any of what any body here has said. To him a hunting rifle is a hunting rifle. He needed me to explain to him that a 30-06 and a 308 used the same bullets. The cocept of a 280 Rem using the same bullet as a 7mm Rem Mag would blow his mind same as the 6.5x55 and 264 Win Mag using the same bullets. He knows what he has and could buy ammo fr them but would buy 5 different bullet weight and design of bullet and expect them all to shoot to the same point of impact. In fact he did this he came out one time to sight in his 30-06 and he brought Winchster white box 180gr round nose bullets. We got the gun sighted in and it shot those bullets very well. He did not believe in reloading because of stories he had heard. So I sent him off and told him he should buy several more boxes of that ammo to always have some on hand and his current box was almost empty. The last day of hunting season with an hour and a half of shooting light left he shows up and says lets go get me a deer. Ok I get in the truck and on the seat is a box of top grade Winchester 165gr boat tail ammo. There is no time to resight his gun and he says well thy should shoot the same they are 30-06. This guy has horse shoes where horse shoes should not be because he did get his deer. A doe came out at I am guessing 250yds and I said well aim just on top of her shoulder. He shoots and I see snow fly up just behind her tail but she stands there and this is a white tail unheard of. He lines up again and isaid aim at her nose he shoots and she drops he hit her in the neck. So in his mind it was a good shot and his changing ammo made no difference. He has no clue what kinetic energy is .What trajectory is doubt he could pronounce it. To him a 243 is the same as a 338 Win Mag. I showed him data for the 50 BMG yesterday and said here this is what you need for a deer gun. He looked at the next page and there was the 577 Ntro Express and says this gun is bigger and more powerful because the bullet diameter was bigger. I tried to show him the loading data he shut the book and says that is too complicated. Now we all know the 577 is powerful but it is no where near the gun the 50 BMG is. To him though the 577 is more powerful so do not explain just smile and nod. What still has me baffled in his thinking is why did he buy his 06 and 6.5x55 when he had the 30-30 after all they will all kill deer to 200yds. This is his thinking not mine. That was why the magnum was pointless most deer are shot at 200 or less yds and all guns are equal in that distance. What can you say except yes sir you are correct I am sorry for doubting your wisdom.

my post was meant to be a joke reflecting the vague concept of a "regular 7mm" which could mean almost anything depending on who's saying it. Having worked at a few gun stores, I've heard many comments like that which lead you down a path of trying to figure out what, if anything, a customer actually knows.

But since I'm new here and dont want to ruffle any feathers, if my humor was that abstract, I'll just delete it rather than cause more concern.

I reload for about 30 different cartridges right now, and have been reloading for over 25 years.
You didn't have to delete or edit your post, I was just making sure you were aware. We have had posts where people say stuff like that, but are actually misguided and think they are correct, because they were ill-informed.

I also used to work in a gun store and reload for around 20 different cartridges, so I was just making sure the clarify for anyone who might not be aware of the facts, and came across the post and did not know it was a joke.

WR you are right there is no regular 7mm but there is still the original the 7x57. I suppose that could be called the regular.. If that were the case most newer 7mm's could be mags because they are in some cases a lot faster with more case capacity. I do not remember how the term magnum got its name but I believe it meant a larger then normal volume. In fact I think if I remember the name came from the wine industry. I guess my explanation should have read larger then normal container volume.
Bill that wasn't to pick on anyone here, just pointing out that the unnamed local asking the question is asking a question with no actual answer.

Ask the average guy shooting the 7mm Rem Mag and he'll tell you he's shooting a 7mm Rem or a 7mm and the conversation generally won't go any further.

As someone with a bit more knowledge of centerfire calibers and he'll probably say "7x57", "7 mag", "7mm Weatherby" or "7mm-08".

The three most popular rounds of all time are all 6.5's, 7mm, or .30 calibers but they've all been stuck in so many different cases over the years any real discussion of rifles has to be a whole lot more specific.

WR I wasn't thinking you were picking on anyone. In fact your last comment was what I figured the average shooter thought. I even tried to tell my friend that even though the 7 Rem Mag was a magnum it might be considered the regular 7mm as it is probably the most common one out there. He told me I was wrong and another friend of his had a regular 7mm. I should get him to bring this gun to me so I could get pictures to show everybody here so we could become better informed lol. This guy is a good fiend but he just one of those guys that says you are wrong no matter what you say. It is aggrevating at times but it has given us a good discussion here and I am sure a few laughs. I know in the long run it keeps a smile on my face and in the end I know I was right.
I have to wonder if some day maybe the 7 Rem Mag will become as uncommon as the 7x61 Hart or was it Sharpe&Hart. Well that alone should help make my point. Being on this forum and learning from all of you guys has helped me grow as a reloader. To assume we know enough and need not learn any more is a dangerous place to put one self.

WR I wasn't thinking you were picking on anyone. In fact your last comment was what I figured the average shooter thought. I even tried to tell my friend that even though the 7 Rem Mag was a magnum it might be considered the regular 7mm as it is probably the most common one out there. He told me I was wrong and another friend of his had a regular 7mm. I should get him to bring this gun to me so I could get pictures to show everybody here so we could become better informed lol. This guy is a good fiend but he just one of those guys that says you are wrong no matter what you say. It is aggrevating at times but it has given us a good discussion here and I am sure a few laughs. I know in the long run it keeps a smile on my face and in the end I know I was right.
I have to wonder if some day maybe the 7 Rem Mag will become as uncommon as the 7x61 Hart or was it Sharpe&Hart. Well that alone should help make my point. Being on this forum and learning from all of you guys has helped me grow as a reloader. To assume we know enough and need not learn any more is a dangerous place to put one self.
Understood, just making sure it was clear.

As for this forum, anyone and everyone can learn here. Between the knowledge and experience of all the members here we have a virtually unlimited resource and no one person will ever have the sum total of both.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.