Is there a difference between a 300wm action and a 300RUM action?

I love the 7stw and will likely have one for the foreseeable future... ie. forever ( I have about 400 casings loaded for my rifle at present)...
That said, in today's environment I would not build or buy one...

If the brass situation gets better in time as it should, I would snag a few hundred casings and get busy.

At present, if I wanted a hotter 7mm, I would look at the 7x300... It will come very close to what the stw can produce and you can actually get brass without forming and blowing it out. My brother just got a sps lr in 7mmstw and he's playing the neck and blow out game with 375 h@h brass. He's actually contemplating getting the nosler treatment and buying some of their 7mm stw brass...

I love the 7stw and will likely have one for the foreseeable future... ie. forever ( I have about 400 casings loaded for my rifle at present)...
That said, in today's environment I would not build or buy one...

If the brass situation gets better in time as it should, I would snag a few hundred casings and get busy.

At present, if I wanted a hotter 7mm, I would look at the 7x300... It will come very close to what the stw can produce and you can actually get brass without forming and blowing it out. My brother just got a sps lr in 7mmstw and he's playing the neck and blow out game with 375 h@h brass. He's actually contemplating getting the nosler treatment and buying some of their 7mm stw brass...

^ This, coming from possibly the most noted 7mmSTW fan on this board, is as good a recommendation as anyone can ever hope for.

I have 300 new WW 300 Win Mag cases and about another 180 cases on their 2nd and 3rd firings that I am saving for when I do a 7mm-300 Win mag build. These came from a lot of 500 that I bought years ago when I 1st got into reloading. I kept the brass even after I had to sell my reloading gear (private graduate school is super spendy....) knowing/hoping I would one day be able to re-enter the shooting sports again (though thinking of another 300 Win Mag - I didn't know about the 7mm-300 Win Mag in the early '90's).

The 7mm RM is likely my favorite chambering for most of the hunting I've done and plan on, BUT the 7mm-300 Win Mag may be my next build.

The 7x300 weatherby is a very old wildcat at this point in time. Its a very simple
straight foward design where the 300 wby case is simply run thru a 7x300 die.
The dies are easily obtained thru RCBS without special ordering.
As has been stated the 7stw also started life as a wildcat using the 8mm mag case.
That cartridge however became a factory offering causing cases to be made specificly for it. Balisticly, there is no real differences between the 7x300 wby and the 7 stw.
Both will have an advantage over the 7x300 win mag and a considerable advantage over the 7 rem mag.
Ive owned 7x300 wbys. for well over 40 years at this point. Ive used them for long
range hunting exclusivly and have seen lots of deer killed with them.
But frankly if i were starting over today i wouldnt be owning any of the 7mms for hunting long range.
There are simply much better bullets for the 30 calibers.
Look at the results of the 1000 yd matches and see how few 7mms are used.
Bruce Baer was the top gunsmith at williamsport for at least a decade. He simply
had his fill of the demands of the target shooters and pretty much gave up that part of his business. But you will still find quite a few shooters using his guns.
And several world records have been set with them.
Look for the 308 Baer, or also the 284 Baer. Both built on the 340 weatherby case.
So there are lots of good options in both 7mm and 30 cal without the Rums and STW.

Thanks very much for all of the replies. I am still undecided on this build. The problem is I am not sure what I want out of this rifle. I am considering making it a dedicated elk rifle. Most likely I will go with a 300 win mag. I have considered something in 338. But other than the 338 win mag the others are pricey to load for and shoot. And most of them a lot heavier than what I want to carry in the mountains. But again I just don't know...

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.