Any accuracy difference between push feed and CRF actions?

a rifle getting jammed up in the excitement of one's trophy of a lifetime getting away after a wounding or clear miss shot. Those who say they never have done either are only proving that they have not hunted very much yet.
I love the old M70s and well done Mauser customs but I've hunted my whole life, (60+ years), and have never lost an animal due to using a push feed. Sorry.

That's the fastest Ive ever seen a man loose his credibility
Count the small block Chevy's in unlimited classes of drag racing VS the hemi head big's. It is easier and cheaper to get good HP from a small block, just like it is easy and cheap to make push feed rifles shoot tiny groups. But a big Hemi will out produce it by a mile when the gloves are off. Just like with an unlimited budget custom rifle a model 70 (other than the 84-94 versions) or a commercial Mauser/professionally built and tuned military mauser based rifle is simply, better. Many big specialty motors for drag racing are simply machined steel/billet construction close copies of the Chrysler 426 Hemi motor. I know, I drag raced against them at Golden State raceway not so many years ago. But, for a small town boy in the poorest state in the US, where the family trees don't have any limbs on them, I can understand the love affair with the little Chevy motor.

To get this back on track and hopefully end the personal attack posts:

In MY opinion and experience, the accuracy potential between a push feed and a CRF action is negligible. Barrel quality, bedding of the rifle, its trigger, the glass used, sound and solid scope mounts, the load development and most of all the shooter and his or her consistency in form when shooting for groups all affect the end result of accuracy far more than the type of action so long as that actions face is square and flat, it is stiff, and it is set up well in other areas that affect accuracy.

I do not care to be involved in this conversation further, Im pretty sure we have beat the dead horse quite enough.

Count the small block Chevy's in unlimited classes of drag racing VS the hemi head big's. It is easier and cheaper to get good HP from a small block, just like it is easy and cheap to make push feed rifles shoot tiny groups. But a big Hemi will out produce it by a mile when the gloves are off. Just like with an unlimited budget custom rifle a model 70 (other than the 84-94 versions) or a commercial Mauser/professionally built and tuned military mauser based rifle is simply, better. Many big specialty motors for drag racing are simply machined steel/billet construction close copies of the Chrysler 426 Hemi motor. I know, I drag raced against them at Golden State raceway not so many years ago. But, for a small town boy in the poorest state in the US, where the family trees don't have any limbs on them, I can understand the love affair with the little Chevy motor.
awesome-reaction.gif

I would point you to the d*ck measuring sub forum but unfortunately there isn't one at LRH. But if you were to start a new thread telling us how awesome you are we could probably make it work here.

This thread is why I hardly ever post on forums. Some guy-Preacher- comes on and gives his opinion (and it sounds like he has a lot of experience and knows what he's talking about). Others apparently take offense to his opinion and sling insults. I am a ''backyard" gunsmith. but nothing he said offended me.
Anyway, I'll go back to lurking and you guys have a good day.

This thread is why I hardly ever post on forums. Some guy-Preacher- comes on and gives his opinion (and it sounds like he has a lot of experience and knows what he's talking about). Others apparently take offense to his opinion and sling insults. I am a ''backyard" gunsmith. but nothing he said offended me.
Anyway, I'll go back to lurking and you guys have a good day.
It does sound like he has plenty of experience as he told us all about it as he climbed up on his pedestal to pat himself on the back, I took no offense at all but I personally have absolutely zero use for glory hounds, He puts me in the mind of GerryBaker1960

Wrong answer. I have hunted a lot in Alaska and Zimbabwe. There have been many instances of failures from push feed rifles with disasterous results. You will be hard pressed to find a model 700 or A Bolt in the hands of a professional hunter or those of us who have hunted these places more than a couple of times. This said, a push feed is probably just fine for backyard whitetail hunters and of course many, many animals are killed quite dead with push feed rifles. I just prefer the "better mouse trap" because I can and know the difference. Most don't really understand how the two mechanisms are vastly different.

The part of your post I bolded is certainly true; never heard of a PH using anything other than CRF (or a double).

The rest of your post does come across as somewhat sanctimonious. There are many people on here with tons of experience, and they don't just hunt "backyard whitetails".

You know, if you are really are a preacher, you would know "a soft answer turneth away wrath".

Welcome to LRH.

Last edited:
The part of your post I bolded is certainly true; never heard of an PH using anything other than CRF (or a double).

The rest of your post does come across as somewhat sanctimonious. There are many people on here with tons of experience, and they don't just hunt "backyard whitetails".

You know, if you are really are a preacher, you would know "a soft answer turneth away wrath".

Welcome to LRH.
I too have never heard of a PH or any serious dangerous game hunter that uses anything but CRF, break action, or other extremely reliable mechanisms. (even single shot falling/rolling/tilting blocks) This isn't even debatable to any degree.

-----------
Follow on Instagram
Subscribe on YouTube
Amazon Affiliate

It is always interesting to see where a thread asking a simple question like - Is there an accuracy difference between two action types - ends up. The only thing the OP found out for sure is that if he is offered a job as a PH in Africa he had better go CRF. Happy Friday!
True. I haven't noticed an accuracy difference that can be attributed to extractor setup. However, I have noticed that push feeds with spring loaded ejectors are much more forgiving of a headspace uniformity problems, as well as other non-uniform variables.

In those instances, the extractor or controlled round feed setup is not directly responsible... but the fact that there often isn't any spring loaded ejector to accompany them, is the variable that matters. However, that too is only compounding the actual problem, which is the users inability to control the dimensional uniformity and dimensional accuracy of their ammo.

So it's a question of forgiveness, rather than a directly attributable trait.

-----------
Follow on Instagram
Subscribe on YouTube
Amazon Affiliate

True. I haven't noticed an accuracy difference that can be attributed to extractor setup. However, I have noticed that push feeds with spring loaded ejectors are much more forgiving of a headspace uniformity problems, as well as other non-uniform variables.

In those instances, the extractor or controlled round feed setup is not directly responsible... but the fact that there often isn't any spring loaded ejector to accompany them, is the variable that matters. However, that too is only compounding the actual problem, which is the users inability to control the dimensional uniformity and dimensional accuracy of their ammo.

So it's a question of forgiveness, rather than a directly attributable trait.

-----------
Follow on Instagram
Subscribe on YouTube
Amazon Affiliate

That's easy to digest. well said.