MOA differences between Savage model 12 actions, and model 10 actions.

I think scope manufacturers center the scope to the midpoint of vertical travel because they can't control how level the rails are in relation to the barrel. One minute of angle translates to just over one thousanth of an inch difference in height between the front and rear of a four inch rail or base. I mounted a scope on the rail of an M1A and I'm still about 3 inches high at 100 yards and I'm at the extreme end of vertical adjustment for the scope. The plus side is that puts me close to a 300 yard zero and I have the full vertical travel for elevation drop.

Nope, not ragging on Savage rifles as being inferior at all. I have 12 of them and none have been problem child's. But as a longtime mod on Savageshooters.com, I've seen quite a few go out the factory door that weren't capable of hitting the proverbial barn door. And those that were sent back to the factory were almost all returned as fine shooters. .001 runout difference between two actions over 24" of barrel length is .024" - That's gotta be good for a few moa.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.