Savage Model 12 fclass

Ghostmoney

After shooting to 1000 yards with my 300 weatherby I wanted to get a gun that could reach out to 1000 while shooting under MOA. I wanted a gun accurate enough that it was not the limiting factor. So I researched and ended up purchasing a savage model 12 fclass to hopefully obtain this goal. Thought I would start a thread to track my progress to reaching my goal so others may see the kind of accuracy the stock savage model 12 can obtain in a beginners hands. Hopefully I will learn a lot about long range shooting and what it takes to reload for it.

Here is the rifle with falcon menace scope and Karsten's Cheek Rest
402917_10150486135859891_742634890_8865865_1093383117_n.jpg

Took the rifle out to day to do barrel break in while testing a few different charges of powder to get an idea of what powder charge this rifle liked. Looks like around 50 gr. of 5831 with a 1/2" group.
402859_10150486004999891_742634890_8865688_176510794_n.jpg

Thinking I will load some up with various seating depths close to the lands and start with 48.5gr and work my way up towards 50gr to watch for pressure signs this sound like the right way to developing a load?

Ghostmoney,
Congratulations on crossing over in to the "light". Savage makes wonderfully accurate rifles and their products are opening a lot of eyes. I figured you must have the 6.5-284 Norma, as there are only two calibers listed for this model on their website (6mmBR & 6.5-284 Norma). This is a very accurate cartridge and a ease to reload for. What bullet are you trying to reload for? JohnnyK.

Have fun with your new toy. A friend of mine bought one and made a few people feel dumb for spending an extra $2500 on a full custom rifle for f class. It should hammmer and have fun learning this challenging sport.

Ghostmoney,
Congratulations on crossing over in to the "light". Savage makes wonderfully accurate rifles and their products are opening a lot of eyes. I figured you must have the 6.5-284 Norma, as there are only two calibers listed for this model on their website (6mmBR & 6.5-284 Norma). This is a very accurate cartridge and a ease to reload for. What bullet are you trying to reload for? JohnnyK.

Yes I have the 6.5x284. I am reloading for the 142 smk

I have shot some 5shot groups at 1K with an identical rifle using a hart front rest and graphite lube on a rear bunny ear bag. Mine favored lapua scenars, I used 48.7grns of Imr4350 in Norma brass with CCI BR2 primers, necks touched up .293" neck bushing with the inside of the necks ppolished, using 139 lapuas jammed .015", (they can still be ejected without pulling the bullet out of the case on a live round), this shot in the .2s at 100yrds. Best group would have been under 4"s at 1k but I had a high right flyer. Savage target rifles surprise a lot of people and hold several recors, I was using mine as an IBS light gun and it got the job done. With the rifle scope and mounts I had under 2600 in it and I've saw guys in the IBS spend that on just an action.

.0035" neck tension, falls between 30 and 35lbs anything higher or lower I use as sighters.

Well finally was able to load up some with 49gr of 4831 with various seating depths. It shot the best with the bullets right at the lands. Now I am going to work up some loads with different powder charges. Will changing the powder charge mess with where the bullet likes to be seated? Or if it likes to be seated at the lands at 49gr will it shoot better at the lands with more powder?

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.