Push feed or controlled feed?

Discussion in 'Long Range Hunting & Shooting' started by Rick_W, Apr 18, 2019.

Help Support Long Range Hunting by donating:

1. Rick_W

Rick_W Well-Known Member

Which do you prefer?

Do you think one has an advantage over the other?

2. therifleman556

therifleman556 Well-Known Member

I haven't handled anything that fed or felt as smooth as my model 70s. That said, there's probably no tangible benefits to the system outside of dangerous game hunting. And to be fair the M70 lacks some of the features that make the M98 so bulletproof.

Frog4aday, alcesgigas and Rick_W like this.
  3. memtb

memtb Well-Known Member

If either, or were offered to me....I’d take the CRF. But, I have no issues with our push feed Model 70’s! memtb

whitetail regulator and Rick_W like this.
  4. Edd

Edd Well-Known Member

What CRF action are you comparing?

5. Rick_W

Rick_W Well-Known Member

I only have first hand experience with an older Savage 110 7RUM. Never handled any others.

My push feed is limited to Rem 700 and Savage 10/110 actions.

I've never noticed a difference between any of them and wonder if others can tell a difference - and why they might prefer one to the other.

I am not aware of the different CRF actions and what would make them feel different or make one more/less reliable than another.

I know Ruger is marketing their Hawkeye rifles having "Non-rotating, Mauser-type controlled round feed extractor" - but I don't know if this means they are true CRF.

6. alcesgigas

alcesgigas Well-Known Member

My first centerfire that I hunted was my dad's 8mm M98. He'd put a Lyman 48 on the stern and a Bishop under the steel; not sure about the bow accoutrements, but I could hold 2" groups at 100 paces. That is before going into the woods. I'm thinking I'd had to have a passel of luck to whack anything smaller than a moose at over 100 yards while hunting and returning home? Well, let's just say me targets were lucky indeed. I hadn't made five feet tall yet and hovered--when fully clothed and a bit wet--right at 100 pounds. But I hunted just about every day in spite of all the jokes--use your imagination, please--and now and again something fell down in front of me that either died from laughter or somehow... ---- thing was soooooooooo heavy; gained weight exponentially every time I liberated it, trigger pull seemed about my weight and the safety, well, while it always worked was really awkward for me at the time. However, the worst part of Peter and Paul's genius was that the bolt bound nearly every time it was yanked rearwards. Otherwise I just loved that rifle. The next adventure was with my girlfriends dad's Husqvarna lightweight 30-06. Another animal altogether. The rifle was a beauty though--a tamed 98.

As a sophomore in High School it finally happened. New girlfriend; out with the old. That was 1961 and the gal's name was Winchester, Model 70 270 Winchester. True love 'dat--still be and I took on the sisters too all 270s and one 375. And while I might change a few other things that happened along the way I'll just leave my Winchester experience the way it was, the way it is. There's two Model 12s in there too--and a 52D, but...

7. LongBomber

LongBomber Well-Known Member

The feel of a well timed and tuned CRF seems to be a bit smoother to me. I have a couple newer M70 crf actions, bolt action is nice and slick. I also just picked up a LAW rifle, cheap as a rifle to start a build off of, that action is super smooth. It matches any of my custom actions for feel.
    I don’t think there are any relibility issues between push/crf, but if a crf is set right the action is super smooth. You can force a miss feed in any action if you want to, run the bolt like you know what you are doing and they both work fine.

Frog4aday likes this.
  8. KyCarl

KyCarl Well-Known Member LRH Team Member

I have been a fan of Mauser type actions for a long time. But I have push feeds that work fine?

9. Rich Coyle

Rich Coyle Well-Known Member

The only failures to feed were with control feed. I won't own one.

Huggy likes this.
  10. 25WSM

25WSM Well-Known Member

Even a push feed is controlled to some extent. Not by the bolt face or extractor but by the feed rails. By the time the case is free of the rails half of it is in the chamber already.
    Shep

Slim13 and Frog4aday like this.
  11. Lasiter

Lasiter Well-Known Member

All other things being equal, if you have a failure to extract a fired case and the extractor pulls through/tears the case rim, it is far more likely to be one of those dinky, money-saving extractors than a big Mauser or Winchester.
    That's why they are called "Big Game" rifles. Which would you prefer when facing a Griz , or two?

Alibiiv and ptsdvet like this.
  12. rugers

rugers Active Member

For my all around hunting and truck gun I use crf have both mausers and pre 64 model 70 win, for tripod or bench shooting it doesn't matter much, but I've seen people dump rounds out of a rem 700 on a few occasions.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2019
    Lasiter likes this.
  13. Sam C

Sam C Member

CZ makes a Mauser type action, are they any good?

ptsdvet likes this.
  14. Lasiter

Lasiter Well-Known Member

Yes. All the CZ items I've bought or seen are well-made.

Frog4aday likes this.