What is the difference between a 7 Rem Mag and a regular 7mm

Wild Bill G

I had a friend ask me the other day what the title says. Not thinking I told him case size and about 3to4 hundred fps difference in velocity. He responded so no real difference. The next mourning thinking about it I thought you know the 7Rem Mag is the regular 7mm. Then I thought about his other statement and thought why does he shoot 3in mag shotgun shells there is no difference fron the two and thre quarter jobs lol. So today I told the guy this and as usual he said I was wrong because he knew a guy with a regular 7mm. Now this guy is a close friend but will not listen to much I say without arguing. I told him that most people when they say they have a 7mm mean the 7Rem Mag. Now am I right or wrong I know there are now a lot of 7mm cartridges out there but is the 7 Rem Mag still the most popular in America? How would you guys have answered this question remember your answer will be wrong or pointless. Not to me but to the guy you are responding to. I am curious to see what you guys would call the regular 7mm. To me this is still a great caliber and the 7 Rem Mag was my first big game rifle.

First of all, I would ask for clarification on what a "regular 7mm" is? Never heard of that one, and I used to work in a gun store, so I've heard and had to decipher all kinds of stupid in order to figure out what the customer wanted.

Second, in my most sarcastic tone, I'd ask him to tell you the difference, since he obviously knows enough to argue with you.

In my experiences, when most folks say "7 Mag", they're talking about the 7mm Remington Magnum. And to my knowledge there is no "regular 7mm", unless he's referring to the 7mm RemMag, which is the same **** thing, so his question was riddled with stupidity from the get-go.

You guys now know the wall I was against. This guy thinks he knows a lot but does not. Trust me I tried to pry what a regular 7mm was out of him. His response was the one the other guy had but no further description. The part that got me was when I said the 7Rem Mag had a 3to4 hundred fps advantage and he said so know difference really. Had I told him though that his 3 inch mag shot shells were no better then the two and three quarters he would still be telling me how little I knew. This guy knows very little about guns and figures all he needs are the 4 he has . However I dare not tell him or ask him why he bought his 6.5x55 when he already had a 30-06. After all the way my friend thinks really they are equal in evey way.

maybe it was the 7mm mauser he was thinking of...cause it is so common and I find ammo all day long at every general ammo store I step foot in. you know the general like walmart. Ha Ha..

I've had friends like that, you just learn which conversations NOT to have with them to avoid wanting to punch them in the face.

Possibly, he was referring to (but I doubt it), the 7mm Express Remington (also commonly called the 7mm-06 Remington), which later got named the .280 Remington. If this is the actual case, then there's about 250 +/- FPS difference in the .280 Rem and the 7mm RM with the same weight bullets and same barrel lengths.

Normally I avoid these situations but he asked the question. Which I don't mind if a guy wants to learn. The 7mm I kind of thought of was the 7x57. You mentioned the 7mm Express It was making a try again when I bought my Rem Mag in 1986. I might even have bought one but up here ammo was hard to find and 7 Rem Mag was every where plus it had that extra punch. Thinking about it there were only 4 common 7mm's then or at least talked about ones. The 7 Rem Mag,7 Weatherby Mag,7mm Express and the 7x57. Wow how times have changed. Even velocities of most of these guns have climbed a bit. It was hard to get a 3000fps load in the 7 Rem Mag. I finally found it with a max charge of H870 I still have a pound of it on hand. It was the slowest powder going back then.

I hear you mud runner.

A trick for me is to eliminate the working argument of,,, we could refer to the debate and puzzles in life.

Some times, not always I like to finish up with "for those that choose to", or "IMO only= IMO Only." If In dought i''ll end with "hopefully more wrong than right."
LOL.

So in my IMO only, I'm guessing it "could" depend on what day of age a person was on the planet,,, purhaps where one grew up might be considered in the puzzle.

Maybe the 30/06 was the crown and Jewel of standard of 7mm. It is close to the category of 7.62. Doo Noo.

Funny thing is that very few people these days challange the "Known math".

To me, and me only, the 270 caliber is the closest bullet to 7mm then a 7mm.
Very suprized that after all these years that no humans on the planet have challanges the math on this,,, oh well. Purhaps us humans are not as wize as we seem. """"No disrespect to humans my friend."""

Many past moons ago in a far away land, I'm guessing the first standard 7mm was a rock or stick,,, that's not saying that there wasn't a spear tip or Wholly Mammoth spear tip bone that fit that category. One would guess that earth offered endless standard 7MB's,,, now thinking about it,,,, what's in a bullet or trajectile. Hummmmm, life becomes confusing now.

Purhaps its wize too fast forward a few 10.000 years,,, a standard 7mm way back when "might" of been a 7x57.
Maybe this standard is a 7mm Mag. Would the 7mm Ultra or Nosler 28 be the new standard if we were born in year 2002,,,guess we won't know this since it hasn't happened yet now that we're not alive yet.

Boy this gets confusing.

Ho Hummmmm,,, life comes with endless challanges, some find it wize, others not so much... For those that choose to follow puzzling discoveries threw out life. Again my friend,,, each to their own as its not my job in life to tell people what they wish to find out for them selves.

Any input, thoughts, ideas in my pumpkin are mine, I own mine just as much as other folk own theirs... That way it allows us to be us,,, if we can't be who we are than we can't be us.

Purhaps the saying of us humans "not being real" is true. That is for those of us that choose to research stuff like this.

Well its harvest time, I'm off in my standard 7mm rocket ship into the bliss of unknowns as I search to planet looking for the 7x7 extra large many times over 7mm Elk. Beginning how far we are spaced apart.

Purhaps the old saying is true,,, answer a question with a wize follow up question since clarification with communication solves all puzzles in life,,, ok,,, not all or we would be living the dream of 5mm or 13 depending if the sun cones up this morning. LOL.

Good luck on your quest as the unknown if life are here to challange us along the way.

Reporting from the Eastern Slopes of Western Canada as I'm some where no where found but lost.

Don, hopefully more wrong than right

Last edited:
I have to ask is the 7Rem Mag the most commonly sold 7mm rifle. In ammo sales I imagine it out sells all other 7mm's combined. I am looking at this just in North America.

In some ways there might not be much difference in 7mms in some people minds. If you're shooting a 100 yds, given the right bullet, etc most 7mm will get the job done. After all dead is dead. And maybe this is how your friend looks at it. Maybe a better approach would be show how far it retains it's knock down power. Then simply hand him a ballistic calculator and he can argue with facts not you.

You point is good dmj in fact that was his logic they are all the same out to 250yds. He does not understand kinetic energy so more speed makes no difference. In his logic though it makes him look silly for buying his 6.5x55 when he already had a 30-06 as both rifles will kill anything in North America out to 250yds. The 6.5 would be under gunned on a griz but he does not hunt them any way.
I wanted to say him which would you rather get hit by a car doing 10mph or one going 40mph. This would help explain kinetic energy any way. I know some day down the road I will hear him repeating what I have told to someone else as his knowledge of guns and ballistics. It just takes time for all of the info to sink in.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.