what is the difference ?

Well, the paints not even dry on the 6.5 PRC yet. Hornady has ammo, but has published no load data even though Hornady 6.5 PRC brass is now available.

* The 6.5 PRC uses a mag bolt face the 6.5x285 Normal uses a standard bolt face
* No factory rifles are chambered in the 6.5 PRC yet.
* Velocities are similar.

Here's a link to some good dicussion on the 6.5 PRC: https://www.longrangehunting.com/threads/new-hornady-6-5-prc.181597/

The 6.5 PRC is marketed as a SA cartridge @ 2.960"while the 6.5-284 Norma is designed for a long action @ 3.228" OAL.

IMO the 6.5-284 has superior brass with both Norma and Lapua making it.

I suppose you could also run the 6.5-284 with a SA and a custom reamer to your specs. Many SA actions have some room to lengthen the mag box. Wyatt's offers lengthened mag boxes for Remington and some Winchesters. My gunsmith altered my two SA Ruger M77 tang safety rifles to 3.1".

At this point the 6.5x284 has proven itself as a championship winning cartridge in most forms of target shooting and is a well established game getter.

Hopefully the PRC will be a success, can't have to many quality options !

From reading about it sounds like it's just a better mouse trap. They will both be similar in ballistics but the PRC should give you its full potential in a short action where the 6.5-284 needs a long action or loaded as a single shot to reach its full potential.

You should get better barrel life out of the PRC too. I also suspect with handloads and a 26 in plus barrel you will likely get more FPS out of the PRC.

I have no hands on dealings with either so this is just an opinion based on case design.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.