7mm rem mag vs. 270 win

As for the original question of recoil of a 7RM comapared to a 270win,
The 7RM recoils more. Set your mind to it and you'll be fine.
If your accustomed to the recoil of a 270win as I am, you'll want to reduce that recoil some how, whether it be with recoil pad or muzzle brake is up to you;I'm going to do both. If that makes me a big girl then I'm going shopping for my camoflouge tutu!!! At least I'll be able to shoot comfortably and accuratly!gun)

austino33
best of luck to you!!.....buy the best equipment you can afford.....practice, practice , practice.....take a lot of the stuff you read on the internet with a grain of salt....although there are some guys that know what their talking about...there are also a lot of guys that don't ..and its all talk....get with a club or group that shoots long range...learn ....enjoy and have fun....best of luck to you !

I am on the side that you don't need a 338 to shoot elk with.
Not sure why there is always a push on this site for the 338's, but under 1000 yards anything from a 264 WM shooting the 140VLD's up to a 300 WM shooting the 190 VLD's will get the job done.
If you don't want to deal with a brake or the recoil of the 338, get a 7RM and shoot the 168 VLD at 3000fps+
+ 1 get the caliber you feel most comfortable with and practice. I prefer a break on my rifles because I do alot of back country hunting alone, and a break lets me spot my shots. dont let anyone tell you a 7mm rem is not enough for elk, I watched john burns shoot a large griz at over 600 yards at it dropped that bear quick. dead is dead. shot placement and the proper bullet is what counts.

All differences aside, both are top tier for stomping ***, so long as you practice, but my nod for having the fuel to effectively lay out big game at long range is the 7mm.

If energy is king, ballistic coefficient is queen, and design is the ace in the hole.

Lots of females in my area shoot the 243 for elk and deer. A bullet going into the right place will kill anything. I personally think that if the bullet exits the animal that more energy is wasted than used in the animal. I have shot several deer and elk. The bullets go through the deer, but on elk usually just get stuck right under the skin.

No matter what gun you have they all will work with a good shot placement.
Think about how many deer have been killed with a 30-30, how many buffalo have been killed with the 45/70, and how many elk/deer/bear that have been killed with the 06.

Now when we are talking long range, you should be looking for something accurate first and power second.

My daughters both have .270s, they love them. I have a 7MAG and they both shoot them and my .3006s. a flinch? you won't find them doing it. They blow off more rounds with the MAG than with there .270s or there .223s some need a muzzel break they have got to a point that they have no use for it. Now my daughters are both around 120lbs and are not Girly girls. they gey mud up to there knees and have never complained, they can gut there own Deer and they
have never asked the old mans help. they both have back packs and snowshoes and camp in the woods. And may I say they are both BABES...every friend I know asked, where did they get there looks.
Sure the 7MAG has a kick but its less than a 12gage shotgun.
Try holding the stock tight against your shounder and find your sweet spot.

These "BABES" of yours KC would not happen to host a camp for liberal women? I have a BABE of my own, but refuses to go hunting because she wants to "Pet and Rub the Prarie Dogs Tummy", or "Play Fetch with Coyots". My BABE needs to learn from your BABES how to be a girl, yet skin a buck :)

THis is a *great* thread and thanks so much for asking such a pertinent question (despite the likelihood of ignorant/biased posters de-railing/subverting positive dialogue about your question).

I'm currently in the beginning stages of a move to a "elk-hunting-possible" state (a life-long dream) and have a 7RM i'd love to use for elk hunting.

However, i've read so much about the more humane killing ability of the fast, modern .338 cartridges for elk at longer ranges i was in a bit of a quandry. I was considering whether to start saving for something custom in a fast .338 or if i'd be able to have my "old" (my 1983 HS grad present) Rem700 ADL 7RM "modernized". The saving process would have taken a LONG time for me as i'm in transition.

Since my longest game kill is ~525yds (using my 7RM, 175grn factory loads and iron sights back in 1985....) and i've not shot in far too long, i'm now more convinced than ever that my 7RM, with reloading (need to re-acquire that stuff too), i can *easily* get out to 600 with diligence in training.

This discussion has profoundly good timing!!!

Last edited:
THis is a *great* thread and thanks so much for asking such a pertinent question (despite the likelihood of ignorant/biased posters de-railing/subverting positive dialogue about your question).

I'm currently in the beginning stages of a move to a "elk-hunting-possible" state (a life-long dream) and have a 7RM i'd love to use for elk hunting.

However, i've read so much about the more humane killing ability of the fast, modern .338 cartridges for elk at longer ranges i was in a bit of a quandry. I was considering whether to start saving for something custom in a fast .338 or if i'd be able to have my "old" (my 1983 HS grad present) Rem700 ADL 7RM "modernized". The saving process would have taken a LONG time for me as i'm in transition.

Since my longest game kill is ~525yds (using my 7RM, 175grn factory loads and iron sights back in 1985....) and i've not shot in far too long, i'm now more convinced than ever that my 7RM, with reloading (need to re-acquire that stuff too), i can *easily* get out to 600 with diligence in training.

This discussion has profoundly good timing!!!

I think this is an excellent thread as well. The one thing I have learned over the years is that in every sport or hobby, the "geek" flag is likely to be raised. What I mean is, we are all "hot-rodders" at heart I think. It's in mans nature to speculate on how to do things better, more efficiently, or, simply to make them more cool. You definitely DO NOT need a 338 for your intended use. Your current rifle will DEFINITELY do the job in an excellent fashion. (assuming it's in good condition etc. So, what is my point? Well, I think folks get mired down in trying to justify "need" through "data".

What I want, or would enjoy having, or just like to monkey around with has NOTHING to do with what I actually need. I have to admit, probably 90% plus of the game animals I have harvested could have been harvested easily, effectively, and humanely with the same 30 06' My Dad gave me when I was 11. Sure, as I have grown older and more proficient, I have taken some animals at distances that would outpace that old rifle. But, I haven't really "needed" more. Yet, I find myself with a safe full of "more" :)

In your example, I would be the guy who would tinker with my old Remington, bedding it etc, to get the most out of it, re-barreling etc, spending more money on it than I most likely could ever recover, and certainly more than I could just go buy what I was after. But, that wouldn't be nearly as satisfying, or fun.

I will share an anecdote I heard in a hunting camp a couple seasons ago. A group of guys was bench racing about caliber (imagine that!) and which was best for the Elk we were seeking. One fellow said " you have to shoot a .30 cal or greater if you are serious", this Old fellow said " well, if a 7 mag is better than a 270, and a 300 win mag is better than that, and a 338 is better than that, maybe you should just shoot your .50 Barret" We all laughed, but he was right, of course. Better is subjective ;)

That same Old Timer went on to harvest his one hundred and something Elk with his old Winny 06' with its 2 1/2 power Lyman scope and his Winchester silvertips.

Enjoy your sport, enjoy your gear, if you WANT a 338, get one, it's an awesome round. But, you darn sure don't "need" it! Lol.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts