7mm Rem Mag vs 6.5mm Creedmoor

Just a thought, but have you considered a switch bbl rig?

The only obsticle is the bolt face....you will either need to have chambers that use the same bolt face, or get two bolts.

I have a magnum bolt face on one of my rifles. One of the BBLs is a 300 Weatherby, one is a 300 WSM, and one is a 6.5WSSM. Another gun I have a 300 WBY and a 338 Edge.

You could do a 280/280AI or 30-06 for hunting and a 6mm br or a 6-6.5-47L for the rest.

With two bolts a guy could build a 6mm for practice and shooting steel/ paper, ect... and a bigger 7mm or 30 cal for LRHing.

Again, just a thought.
Tod

What distances are you planning on shooting? The creed could take you to 600 yards for game and the 7mm Mag would take you to 900 or so with more authority. Maybe a little further with the 180 Bergers.

The 7mm would burn more powder, have shorter case life, and burn the barrel out quicker than the 6.5 creed.

Depends on whether target or hunting takes priority too. Maybe you should get two rifles. Get a Savage 6.5 Creed or similar for target and long range practice and go hole hog on that 7mm and the defiance action. That way you have some backup if one rifle is down for some reason and you wont be burning up an expensive custom long range magnum rifle at the target range. That's probably what I would do.

FYI, "hole" refers to an empty or negative space. Whole refers to complete or filled.
Sorry, don't mean to be a nit picker.

Hello guys just wanted so input on my rifle I am putting together. I have set my sights on two cartridges (6.5mm Creed & 7mm Rem Mag). The idea behind this rifle is to be my first long range target gun. Also would love to use this gun for Mule Deer in New Mexico. I am building this gun on a Defiance Deviant Action built by Short Action Customs in northern Ohio. Both guns are very capable of shooting long range. For the Creed I will shoot 140 AMAX and for the 7mm I was planning on shooting 168 berger's or 180's. Any suggestions you guys might have would be great ! Thanks for reading !

A fellow on a serious budget should build one platform based on maximum flexibility.
The first "modern" hunting rifle I bought was chambered in 375 H&H Magnum. As it turned out, maximum loads with the heaviest bullets (i.e. Sierra 300 grain spritzer Boat Tailed projectile) became my "standard load. It is suitable for everting from snakes, crows, pigs and deer to Cape Buffalo.
Build what will cover the widest range of targets and just get used to it. When you burn out our 7mm RM, change the barrel to one chambered for the 280 Nosler.

Remember, if you're not having fun, it must be Work.

I have had both never shot the creedmoor just owned one. A friend borrowed it (creedmoor) and shot 140 grain factory stuff. Loaned it to another friend while hunting goats here in Wyoming. Shot two antelope 0ne at 650 an one at 1000. I don't think he could have accomplished it with the 7mm Remington Mag in a Sako Forester. My other rifle. Recoil is quite a bit more and I haven't found any factory ammo nearly as accurate as the cheap Hornady ammo. I shoot a 6.5x47 Lapua. Don't want a creedmoor but ballistic twins. Wife has a .260( I have an 7stw.) We hunt the 6.5's. Stupid accurate and reliable. I wouldn't shoot an Elk with the STW because I am a wimp when it comes to recoil. I would be at a disadvantage with the 7 because it kicks. A bullet in the lungs just plain works. The 6.5's are easy to shoot. We both shot elk this year at distance. I think range is irrelevant for elk as they are huge. Shoot a coyote at long range and you have accomplished something. I am confident on a 7 inch target at 600 yards. I can't say that about the 7remington magnum in a sporter weight rifle.

morning, practice, practice, practice. shoot, shoot, shoot, practice, practice!
this makes near perfect. God Bless our troops. TUM

you can "down" load the 7mm, there is no reason to shoot it at max, and barrel life will be extended. 160ish gr bullets will fly just fine at 2700-2800fps, I can hold 3.5in groups at 700yrds no problem. bullet selection for future hunts will be better with the 7mm as well, so if some day you want to hunt........moose lets say load up some 175's an go, or dogs 125-139gr. Too me the 7mm is more versatile of a cartridge.

This is not even a choice, let's at least have a level playing field !! There's is nothing the big 7 can't handle better than that little pipsqueak ! If you could only have one rifle the big 7 would be one of the two choices the vast majority of shooters would pick...

The whole slamming a cartridge just because it's popular with beginners is really petty.
Hornady marketing is reason the Creed is so popular. Yes there are overlapping cartridges, but the Creed case is a improved case design, everything about its design is for long high BC bullets. That's the advantage, it's design.
If Remington would had Hornadys marketing team, the ultra mags would have been more successful, maybe they wouldn't be on the verge of default.
Hornady put out good factory ammo, got companies to make affordable rifles and then basically sold ice to Eskimo's.
With all that said, i will always have a Creed.

I'd choose both. 6.5 Creedmoor is a great bench shooting round and also great for hunting whitetail, antelope, mule deer, etc. However, the 7mm Rem Mag is going to do everything the 6.5 can and then some. More velocity, more energy, heavier bullets, etc. This all comes at a price in the form of more gun powder burned, more costly brass, and more recoil. It's up to you to decide.

I don't shoot either of those calibers but I do shoot a 6.5x47 which is similar and have also shot a bunch of 300 mag. A big belted case and a meaty bullet is some very serious medicine. It goes a long ways and it'll flat spin things around. The 6.5 though... where have you been all my life? Very enjoyable to shoot, long brass life, easy to load for, fairly economical to shoot, I could go on. These short action 6.5's are beginning to make the others jealous due to lack of attention.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.