7mm Rem Mag & 300 Win Mag

KevinDisneyFSU

Have a Ruger American 7mm Rem Mag on its way. Considering getting a Remington 700 as well. Is there any reason to get it in another 7mm? Should I just get it in 300 Win Mag so I have one of both? I doubt I will ever be in an area to stretch them out any her in Northeast FL, so both are more than I likely will ever need......but just in case....lol.

I have read through the 4 year old VS. thread. Mainly just going to use for paper, eventually some hog and maybe deer (already have a Savage 11 and Windham Weaponry SRC in .308 and a Marlin 1895)

I own two 7mm Remington magnums and I will ALWAYS own a 300 WM.
So I don't see any shame in having two 7mm RMs.

However, a man should have a 300WM, just because !

You're talking about the two biggest selling magnum cartridges of all time.

I don't see much sense in buying another 7mm Rem if the one you have is shooting well for you unless you just plan on keeping it a safe queen until the current rifle is shot out.

As for the 300wm. My go to caliber is 7mm STW. I also shoot the 300wm and 300 Rum and own three of each.

The 300wm however is never the wrong answer.gun)

I really like my 7mag but I love my 300wm. It's never a bad thing to have a backup rifle in the same caliber but everyone should have a 300wm.

Sounds like I will be adding a 300 Win Mag.

This has been debated 1000 times... They are ballistic twins. So, it's kind of pointless. Needless to say, I have both. And have never fired my new 700 5R Milspec 26" .300 WM, because I really have no need to. I got it because I traded in a rifle with a bad barrel and $100 bill for it. I have been debating on having the chamber opened up to .300 Ackley, so I will have 2 of them...If you're going to go .30 cal, go bigger than a .300WM (just my opinion), like the .300 Weatherby, .300 Ackley, .300 RUM, etc... That's just my opinion.

However, it is your money, buy what you want. If you want both, buy both.

I own a 300 and love it, do not own a 7mm.

If your goal is game in your local area, both are overkill. So why not stick with 7mm. All the 300 will give you is additional meat damage and more shoulder pounding.

For paper punching, the 7mm as said before has similar ballistics but lower recoil. Again, not a real reason for the 300 here.

My 300 was for elk hunting. I am a big believer on bullet diameter for large and tough animals. For medium game and paper, I struggle to see why my beloved 300 would serve you better than the 7mm. I've shot elk, deer, and antelope with my 300. If given a choice with deer and antelope, I would step down to a smaller round except at very extended ranges.

I have both, and both will do what ever you ask them to do with in reason.....
My 7mm shoots the 162 ELDs very well, my 300 shoots the 208 ELDS very well....
I think we should let this thread die.... Its been debated for as long as the 30-06 vs .308.

Arguments are going to start, feelings are going to get hurt.... :D
So I replied to tag in, on what's probably going to be a thread that gets shut down, sometime in the future...:rolleyes:

This has been debated 1000 times... They are ballistic twins. So, it's kind of pointless. Needless to say, I have both. And have never fired my new 700 5R Milspec 26" .300 WM, because I really have no need to. I got it because I traded in a rifle with a bad barrel and $100 bill for it. I have been debating on having the chamber opened up to .300 Ackley, so I will have 2 of them...If you're going to go .30 cal, go bigger than a .300WM (just my opinion), like the .300 Weatherby, .300 Ackley, .300 RUM, etc... That's just my opinion.

However, it is your money, buy what you want. If you want both, buy both.
Not really. The 300wm carries considerably more energy with comparable bullets and at long range the higher BC bullets available for the 300wm really start to shine.

Out to a thousand though it's a lot closer to the 7mm STW and 28 Nosler with their added velocity/energy.

Not really. The 300wm carries considerably more energy with comparable bullets and at long range the higher BC bullets available for the 300wm really start to shine.

Out to a thousand though it's a lot closer to the 7mm STW and 28 Nosler with their added velocity/energy.

It does carry more energy, but not considerably more energy, when you compare equal weight-for caliber bullets, such as the 7mm 180 vs. .30 cal 210... Or the 180 Hybrid vs. the 215 Hybrid...According to numbers on paper. Now, whether one "kills" better, Jeff has said that his experience has proven the .300WM kills better, but as I have had as many DRT moments with 7mm and .30 caliber rifles, it's hard for me to say either one is better than the other...But that is my experience. Which is why I said it was a toss-up, because I was basing it on number crunching and my personal experiences.

As a matter of fact, I am ashamed to say that I think I might have more .30 caliber rifles than 7mm's at the moment...

the gun is more important to me than the caliber. weight helps for long range . a sendero, 5-r or rem 700 long range.

I have and love em' both...there's substitute for .308 holes when the range goes past 500 yards but sometimes .284 will do just fine, size of the game matters... How about the .284 is just easier on the shoulder, especially if you burning ammo having fun ...both are just about perfect and when components get scarce for them a lot of other barrels will make nice tomato stakes..no gun cabinet is complete without them.. OLD WARHORSES !!!

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.