7mm Rem Mag & 300 Win Mag

Is there any reason why you do not shoot Berger Bullets?

TIA
Too inconsistent with respect to expansion/terminal ballistics.

I don't like pencil holes and I don't like an exit wound over 2" in diameter, and unfortunately they have a tendency to all too frequently pencil straight through with zero expansion or blow a huge hole in the back side.

I know a lot of guys, including quite a few I respect use them and swear by them but until I see much more consistency in the kind of expansion I consider to be necessary and desirable I just can't ride that train.

The Hornady Interbond is my go to bullet when I can get them followed by the Nosler Accubond.

I've also had very good results though limited with the Nosler Accubond LR, but like others have found their published BC's to be highly inflated which left a bad taste in my mouth. Manufacturers should stick with the truth when publishing BC's and when we're paying premium bullet prices they absolutely owe it to us to do the best that they can. On this point nobody works harder at getting it right than Berger.

I have very limited but extremely positive experience with the Peregrine VRG-4 bullet as well.

Based on the results I've seen so far I plan to shoot the Hornady ELD-X and Peregrin VRG-4's a lot over the next couple of years.

Too inconsistent with respect to expansion/terminal ballistics.

I don't like pencil holes and I don't like an exit wound over 2" in diameter, and unfortunately they have a tendency to all too frequently pencil straight through with zero expansion or blow a huge hole in the back side.

I know a lot of guys, including quite a few I respect use them and swear by them but until I see much more consistency in the kind of expansion I consider to be necessary and desirable I just can't ride that train.

The Hornady Interbond is my go to bullet when I can get them followed by the Nosler Accubond.

I've also had very good results though limited with the Nosler Accubond LR, but like others have found their published BC's to be highly inflated which left a bad taste in my mouth. Manufacturers should stick with the truth when publishing BC's and when we're paying premium bullet prices they absolutely owe it to us to do the best that they can. On this point nobody works harder at getting it right than Berger.

I have very limited but extremely positive experience with the Peregrine VRG-4 bullet as well.

Based on the results I've seen so far I plan to shoot the Hornady ELD-X and Peregrin VRG-4's a lot over the next couple of years.

Thank you for the coherent response...

I have both, and both will do what ever you ask them to do with in reason.....
My 7mm shoots the 162 ELDs very well, my 300 shoots the 208 ELDS very well....
I think we should let this thread die.... Its been debated for as long as the 30-06 vs .308.

Arguments are going to start, feelings are going to get hurt.... :D
So I replied to tag in, on what's probably going to be a thread that gets shut down, sometime in the future...:rolleyes:

Let this thread die ? Heck no. Two reasons why I prefer the the .308 over the 30/06.Sorry to hijack this thread.1st my dad always shot .308 M88 Win. And 2nd John Wooters the outdoor write once said "The 30/06 holds 10% more powder than a .308 but it is not 10% better" I remember reading that probably sometime in the late 70's and it has always stuck in my mind.

Let this thread die ? Heck no. Two reasons why I prefer the the .308 over the 30/06.Sorry to hijack this thread.1st my dad always shot .308 M88 Win. And 2nd John Wooters the outdoor write once said "The 30/06 holds 10% more powder than a .308 but it is not 10% better" I remember reading that probably sometime in the late 70's and it has always stuck in my mind.

lightbulbIt simply boils down to respective "personal preference" (and "WE" all have them) for the intended purpose. lightbulb

Per OP, as previously stated, my personal preference is the .300 WM.

Cheers!

John Wooters had a sako mannlicher carbine which is the ideal for the 308. handles like a dream.

For a custom build, IIWM, I'd be propelling the 230s instead. :):Dgun)

Just curious if your comment is in regards to the chamber or the barrel twist? Do factory 300 Win Mags not shoot the 230gr Bergers? Thanks.

Me too!!! I have also been researching the Hornady 225 BTHP, and people seem to be coming up with a BC of .71 instead of .670. I'm thinking those would be cheap to run in my 300 Weatherby. I'm hoping Hornady doesn't discontinue them, I can't find any in stock.. They offer good stability in a 10 twist.

Hey gohrigh3006. Where were people talking on the higher BC of that Hornady bullet? Most of the time the bullet manufacturers are overzealous with their posted BC's. Midwayusa has some of the 225's right now. I have excellent accuracy with the same Hornady BTHP bullet but 178gr out of one of my 30-06's. It makes me want to maybe try that 225gr option in my 300 Win Mag also, especially if the BC is really that high. Thanks!

Just curious if your comment is in regards to the chamber or the barrel twist? Do factory 300 Win Mags not shoot the 230gr Bergers? Thanks.

Hey gohrigh3006. Where were people talking on the higher BC of that Hornady bullet? Most of the time the bullet manufacturers are overzealous with their posted BC's. Midwayusa has some of the 225's right now. I have excellent accuracy with the same Hornady BTHP bullet but 178gr out of one of my 30-06's. It makes me want to maybe try that 225gr option in my 300 Win Mag also, especially if the BC is really that high. Thanks!
I'm almost 100% certain, it was over on Snipershide. And I'm thinking MontanaMarine was the one commenting on the BC, I have come to trust his judgment enough to give them a try. So far so good...

Both! Most factory rifles in .300 WM chambering has 1:10" twist; some EU made has 1:11" and 1:12". Berger made adjustment from 1:10" to 1:9" twist rate to stabilize the 230s. Even though I can get away with 1:10" due to my altitude, I'd go with 1:9" or faster (for the longer Hammer Bullets) for custom build ... but that's just me.

Cheers!

Ed

The BC's of the ELD series bullets are going to be extremely close to correct up and down the line due to the fact that they are not just computing them using best possible numbers they are instead checking them with doppler radar throughout the flight of the bullet.

Even prior to that I'd always found their BC's to be very close and considerably closer than most of the manufacturers were producing.

I'm almost 100% certain, it was over on Snipershide. And I'm thinking MontanaMarine was the one commenting on the BC, I have come to trust his judgment enough to give them a try. So far so good...

Thanks!

Both! Most factory rifles in .300 WM chambering has 1:10" twist; some EU made has 1:11" and 1:12". Berger made adjustment from 1:10" to 1:9" twist rate to stabilize the 230s. Even though I can get away with 1:10" due to my altitude, I'd go with 1:9" or faster (for the longer Hammer Bullets) for custom build ... but that's just me.

Cheers!

Ed

Thanks. Before I ordered a new 300 Win Mag barrel a while back I emailed with Berger Support. They actually told me to go with the 1:10. So that is interesting to me. If I can't shoot the 230's it won't be the end of the world. But I'll definitely be disappointed. I had the chamber cut long specifically for the heavy bullets. I haven't had a chance to put the barrel on and test shoot it yet.

I actually found their response:
"We would go with the 1:10" twist barrel and not look back. The 1:10" will work very well for either of our 230 grain bullets as well as any of the lighter bullets we offer for you in .30 caliber."

I guess time will tell if I made the right decision or not.

The BC's of the ELD series bullets are going to be extremely close to correct up and down the line due to the fact that they are not just computing them using best possible numbers they are instead checking them with doppler radar throughout the flight of the bullet.

Even prior to that I'd always found their BC's to be very close and considerably closer than most of the manufacturers were producing.

Thank you!

Go and run them through a couple of twist rate calculators to see how they do. Berger has one on their website.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts