7mm Rem Mag & 300 Win Mag

Thanks. Before I ordered a new 300 Win Mag barrel a while back I emailed with Berger Support. They actually told me to go with the 1:10. So that is interesting to me. If I can't shoot the 230's it won't be the end of the world. But I'll definitely be disappointed. I had the chamber cut long specifically for the heavy bullets. I haven't had a chance to put the barrel on and test shoot it yet.

I actually found their response:
"We would go with the 1:10" twist barrel and not look back. The 1:10" will work very well for either of our 230 grain bullets as well as any of the lighter bullets we offer for you in .30 caliber."

I guess time will tell if I made the right decision or not.

I don't know exactly when but it's a recent change and it is reflected on their website to date.

http://buybergerbullets.3dcartstores.com/30-Cal-230-Gr-Hybrid-Target_p_152.html

"IF" you can push the 230 at 2800 FPS at 0 altitude (using Berger's twist calc per Bruce's post) out of the muzzle with 1:10", your SG = 1.51 (need 1.5 or greater) compared to SG = 1.87 if you have 1:9".

At my altitude of 3333', it'll be 1.71 and 2.11 respectively.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.