7mm rem mag vs. 270 win

Yep OKIE it is funny, hell I've seen 2 black bear "DRT" shot from 30-40yrds with a 22lr!

Heck I got a DRT on a cottontail with my Red Ryder at 30 yards the other day!!:rolleyes:

I chronyed it at 212fps!

Of course my buddies aren't going to not take me cottontail hunting anymore for having to track that big bull cottontail for 3 days!

Yep OKIE it is funny, hell I've seen 2 black bear "DRT" shot from 30-40yrds with a 22lr!

I know my uncle never used anything but a 22 lr for deer.
stuff like this is why I quit buying gun magizines over 20 years ago all the gun writers telling you that you need a 50 bmg to kill deer & 750 grain bullets.
I use my 264 mag for deer hunting because it is so accurate but only use 100
nosler Btips you don't need heavy bullets.
Another thing I don't buy is guys buy a 22 caliber and need 90 grain bullets for it or the 18 inch barrels. You know pump them up and then cut the barrel off.
Just don't make good sinse to me.

one of the things that concerns me when we start talking 500+ yard shots on big game is the mentality that all you need is a bigger rifle.
The original post was 270 vs 7mm mag........but the truth of the matter is just simply moving up to a 7mm mag from a 270...or 300 mag or 338 or whatever does not mean you are ultra ;long range capable. Ultra long range meaning over 500 yds. when you get to the 500 and beyond range. It really requires specialized equip...Just as important if not more important as the caliber rifle you shoot are things like your scope...your range finder and your ammunition..your ability to calculate wind drift, spin drift..ect 500+ yards is no place to be using wal mart equipment when shooting at big game...There is a huge difference in bullet drop and wind drift as yardage increases....The ability to make the needed adjustments on an elk at 200 yds or at 700 yds...huge, HUGE, HUGE!!! difference. you may get away with guessing your hold over out to 400 or even 500 yds with the common sporter , and common scope...but you will not....much beyond that....beyond that you will need to calculate...and make precise adjustment with your equipment..namely your scope....A guy with a 7mm rem mag....with the proper equip...is much better off than a guy with a 338 and the common every day stuff....to shoot ultra long range...be prepared to shell out some money to get set up....i happen to be a very, very good shot...out to say 400yds or a little better...after that i won't shoot...not because i can't or that i don't have a big enough cal...but because i lack the proper equip to take the guess work out of it.....big game animals are no place to be trying out your.."lucky shot"

one of the things that concerns me when we start talking 500+ yard shots on big game is the mentality that all you need is a bigger rifle.
The original post was 270 vs 7mm mag........but the truth of the matter is just simply moving up to a 7mm mag from a 270...or 300 mag or 338 or whatever does not mean you are ultra ;long range capable. Ultra long range meaning over 500 yds. when you get to the 500 and beyond range. It really requires specialized equip...Just as important if not more important as the caliber rifle you shoot are things like your scope...your range finder and your ammunition..your ability to calculate wind drift, spin drift..ect 500+ yards is no place to be using wal mart equipment when shooting at big game...There is a huge difference in bullet drop and wind drift as yardage increases....The ability to make the needed adjustments on an elk at 200 yds or at 700 yds...huge, HUGE, HUGE!!! difference. you may get away with guessing your hold over out to 400 or even 500 yds with the common sporter , and common scope...but you will not....much beyond that....beyond that you will need to calculate...and make precise adjustment with your equipment..namely your scope....A guy with a 7mm rem mag....with the proper equip...is much better off than a guy with a 338 and the
common every day stuff....to shoot ultra long range...be prepared to shell out some money to get set up....i happen to be a very, very good shot...out to say 400yds or a little better...after that i won't shoot...not because i can't or that i don't have a big enough cal...but because i lack the proper equip to take the guess work out of it.....big game animals are no place to be trying out your.."lucky shot"

Here, here. Well put.

assuming in the original post the statement was..a rifle capable of reaching out to 700 yds..if i'm not mistaken using the 1800 ft lbs of energy limit..the 7mm mag will fall below that with the best loads somewhere around 800 yds.
keeping this in mind, i'm assuming your talking about shooting elk from 0 to 700 yds.
i stand to be corrected .. but with a 162 gr boattail bullet leaving the muzzle at 3000fps. and a 300 yd zero...your bullet will strike somewhere around 4' feet low at 600 yds 10 feet low at 800 and if you want to stretch it to 1000 yds it will be somewhere in the neighborhood of 18 feet below point of aim.

long range shooting at elk is no place to be guessing, using the" ole kentucky windage and elevation" method ......give as much thought into your scope and rifle ,and ammo as what cal rifle. no cal is going to shoot like a lazer beam.

Thanks fellas for everything! To the most recent posts I completely agree and understand that fully, I practice very much and wouldn't dare take a shot I know that is out of my range especially on an animal. I am a respectful hunter and this is why I'm trying to gather as much information as I can from people such as yourselves before I make any choices. I am a good shot, and continue to practice and work on my tech. So I agree!

700 yrds for ELK!!!
Give me a 200+ gr bullet and neither the 270 or 7mm can push that weight bullet flat enough.
If you have a 270.Jump to a 300 mag or bigger.Throw a brake on the 300 and that 270 willbe collecting dust.

At my normal elk hunting elevation the 270 or the 7mm would be GTG at 700 yards if loaded correctly. I prefer a 270 over a 7mm any day of the week but that is just a personal decision. My buddies 270 Win loaded with 165gr Matrix bullet will hit a bull at 700 yards with over 1500 ft lbs of energy and with a velocity of 2030 fps at 6000ft elevation, this is more than enough to change a bulls out look on living!!! I like the 270 WSM or go to the larger 338's. I've actually ditched the 300's for the 270 WSM for elk and have been much happier!!!

162 at 3000fps wth? My best friend sometimes hunts with his 7mm mag (24" pencil barreled savage 110 with a brake) I just finished testing his ground hog exploding loads which consist of winchester brass, 162grn hornady bthp match, 73grns H1000, fed215M primers and a 3.410" OAL, had a ES of 18fps and averaged 3236fps from a 24" toothpick, and will hold under 3/4 moa for 5 shots and the rifle is 15 years old. So what is the remaining energy and velocity with a 162grn bullet with a .61bc at 800yards with just 3150 muzzle velocity for example, I think some of you are not giving the ole 7mm mag the respect it deserves, it took off fast in 1962 and been going strong ever since. Oh and the black bear with a 22lr was not a joke, my grandfather had 2 22lrs, a 30-30, and a 12ga, and always grabbed his semi auto 22lr that I still enjoy shooting to this day.

My daughters both have .270s, they love them. I have a 7MAG and they both shoot them and my .3006s. a flinch? you won't find them doing it. They blow off more rounds with the MAG than with there .270s or there .223s some need a muzzel break they have got to a point that they have no use for it. Now my daughters are both around 120lbs and are not Girly girls. they gey mud up to there knees and have never complained, they can gut there own Deer and they
have never asked the old mans help. they both have back packs and snowshoes and camp in the woods. And may I say they are both BABES...every friend I know asked, where did they get there looks.
Sure the 7MAG has a kick but its less than a 12gage shotgun.
Try holding the stock tight against your shounder and find your sweet spot.

Everybody has different tollerance when if come to recoil.
A post telling me a 10 year old girl can shoot a 7RM doesn't mean anything to me.
If she can shoot that with out flinch and fully undrerstand what is going on ballisticly she is one hell of a shot!! And she may very well be.
That doesn't mean that us 40 year old guys that don't like recoil can't put a brake on ours if we want to.
Hell I Know a guy that put a brake on his .270 win. and recomendes it to any one shooting a .270win.
It's all about personal preferance. I'm putting a brake in my 7RM, and after that maybe my .270win.gun)

Everybody has different tollerance when if come to recoil.
A post telling me a 10 year old girl can shoot a 7RM doesn't mean anything to me.
If she can shoot that with out flinch and fully undrerstand what is going on ballisticly she is one hell of a shot!! And she may very well be.
That doesn't mean that us 40 year old guys that don't like recoil can't put a brake on ours if we want to.
Hell I Know a guy that put a brake on his .270 win. and recomendes it to any one shooting a .270win.
It's all about personal preferance. I'm putting a brake in my 7RM, and after that maybe my .270win.gun)

I agree, I enjoy being able to comfortably shoot my firearms. I agree it's easily doable without flinching but takes work, I want to make sure that if I'll be taking an Elk at 500 yards plus there is less room for error, I've got enough to worry about with conditions and don't need to have second thoughts before I squeeze the trigger and end up with an Elk with a broken leg or wound rolling around suffering. If I'm going to do it, I'm going to do it right and once.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.