7mm Rem Mag vs 6.5mm Creedmoor

I hope to get a longer life out of mine by Reloading with less of a charge and lower pressures .
One of the ways I can do that is by taking a medium weight bullet with a little less than recommended powder charge.
And it doesn't compremise the bullets accuracy.

To the OP.... go for both; custom 7mmRM for hunting and a less expensive over the counter 6.5 Creed for targets and honing shooting skills.

I don't shoot past 500 yards, and at 500 yards the punch of the 6.5 cannot beat the 7RM, no way no how. We also owe it to the animals we hunt of providing them a fast and clean kill.

Best regards

LVJ76

I think that this statement needs a little attention....like..."when both shooting (heavy, med, lite) for cal bullets there is no way........;

I have a friend who used to brag on his 30-06 for deer out to LR and laugh at the fact that I shoot some of my deer with the lowly Dasher.

He was shooting factory Rem 125's (3150ish) and I was shooting the 105 Berger VLD Hunting (2970 ish).

Now, both held in your hand side by side it would seem obvious that the 30-06 would CRUSH the Dasher based on shear size of the case. But in reality.....not so much. In this case, not even close.

So...when both shooting heavy for cal bullets the punch of the 6.5 cannot beat the 7rm, no way no how!!

I agree 100 %!!! ;)

Tod

I think that this statement needs a little attention....like..."when both shooting (heavy, med, lite) for cal bullets there is no way........;

I have a friend who used to brag on his 30-06 for deer out to LR and laugh at the fact that I shoot some of my deer with the lowly Dasher.

He was shooting factory Rem 125's (3150ish) and I was shooting the 105 Berger VLD Hunting (2970 ish).

Now, both held in your hand side by side it would seem obvious that the 30-06 would CRUSH the Dasher based on shear size of the case. But in reality.....not so much. In this case, not even close.

So...when both shooting heavy for cal bullets the punch of the 6.5 cannot beat the 7rm, no way no how!!

I agree 100 %!!! ;)

Tod
Off topic, but nothing lowly about the Dasher. I shoot it almost exclusively when whitetail hunting. Otherwise, just to stay on topic, Go 7 Rem. Mag!

I am not disparaging the abilities of the 6.5C. I am only trying to point out that when one only possesses a hammer, everything begins to look like a nail.

History has proven that men will tend to push the laws of physics and use tools intended for one job on another job far outmatched to the tool. Even hammers have a range of jobs.
I have often seen fellows banging away with a tiny ball peen hammer and only making noise.
Conversely, I have also seen men wielding sledge hammers, trying to shape sheet metal!
The 6.5C was designed as a target cartridge. In that role, it performs beautifully.

I have a 6.5 CM barrel that's starting to go at 2300.
My 6.5 SLR is right there too. 2300 rounds and starting to open up. From .1 to .3, but I already have a new barrel ready to go to the smith this week.

My 7RM has about 800 rounds down the pipe and shill going strong.

I used to own a sporter barreled 7mm rem mag. It shot well but like these folks said, and I can attest, the recoil can be an issue. I traded it off on a 260 rem and don't have the slightest regret. Pleasant to shoot, and if you plan on buying ammo rather than reloading the creedmoor will save you a pile of money.

I have both 6.5 creed and 7 mag. If I had to choose only 1? Hands down it would the 7mag. Why? They both shoot 1/2 moa and weigh about 7 lbs but the creed runs out of gas (below 1500 lbs energy) at 450 yds where the 7mag runs out @850 yards. That being said, A better choice than either will be the 6.5 PRC, it maintains energy to 750 yds and is a lot easier on my shoulder. I shoot my PRCs and my 6.5 rem mags a lot more as I consider them superior for hunting and long range target shooting. I don't use barrel life as part of the equation unless it was going to be my only rifle I owned which IT isn't.......

Last edited:
I would go 300 win, better barrel life and better options out there if you are looking for long range hunting.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.