.280 , 284, 7mm mag, 270 wbm

If you go w/ a 7mm mag, I have a slew of different factory loads I was trying out in my 7mag. Let me know if you're interested.

Part my reasoning for these calibers, except for the 7mm mag. Is I like to be different. I don't buy to resell. I have my very first gun.

Ammo shouldn't be a problem for me, since it will only be shot occasionally. Ill get ammo way ahead.

Should I or do I need to worry about rem 700 safety with all the recall issues.thanks.
I wouldn't worry, just adjust the trigger properly and locktite your screws when you are done and then keep it reasonably clean. If your'e still worried stick an aftermarket trigger in it.

I guess I would have to throw my vote to a 7mm mag such as a sendero, or a savage long range hunter, or a weatherby set up similar to one of these if they have one available. My thought is if you really want to be affective at 500 yds even punching paper you really need some options regarding ammo choice. Every gun likes something a little different in terms of ammo to really wring some accuracy out of them, especially production rifles. The other chamberings listed seem to pigeon hole you to a handful of factory ammo choices. If you were to reload the 284 or 270 wbm would be my pick hands down for cool factor! A 270 wbm flingin matrix high bc bullets would be wicked!

Hey great guys good stuff. I just got a tikka t3 in 7mm-08. I have shot it once and it's sweet.

I'm not going to buy ammo before the gun. I meant to say that I'm going to research ammo and get the appropriate ammo before I hunt.

This into something I'm going to run out and do tomorrow. I don't need it fast. I'd really like the 284, with the 270 mag real close.

What would the 270 mag be close to. Also he's a thought. What caliber could I buy and make it into a 284. With just boring the barrel and not worry about head spacing. Can it even be done.

As far as weatherby goes, they come with a guarantee to shoot moa and a target showing it. I really don't want to buy a gun to gut. Good action and trigger would be fine. I really like my tikka, I'd really consider them my first choice.

Hey great guys good stuff. I just got a tikka t3 in 7mm-08. I have shot it once and it's sweet.

I'm not going to buy ammo before the gun. I meant to say that I'm going to research ammo and get the appropriate ammo before I hunt.

This into something I'm going to run out and do tomorrow. I don't need it fast. I'd really like the 284, with the 270 mag real close.

What would the 270 mag be close to. Also he's a thought. What caliber could I buy and make it into a 284. With just boring the barrel and not worry about head spacing. Can it even be done.

As far as weatherby goes, they come with a guarantee to shoot moa and a target showing it. I really don't want to buy a gun to gut. Good action and trigger would be fine. I really like my tikka, I'd really consider them my first choice.
.284 Winchester or .280 AI...But you will want a long action for either of those calibers.

On a short action, about the only other options would be to have the bolt face opened up and the magazine follower replaced (if you can even buy them for the Tikka T3) for a 7mm SAUM or 7mm WSM. But even with those you're going to want to use a long action to get all you can out of the case and bullet length.

The only other thing for a magnum short action I can think of are both wildcat calibers and you WILL have to handload and form brass for them... The 7mm BR, 7mm Dasher, and 7mm SS. And all 3 will need very experienced handloaders to form brass for them. They're really not for newbies, I hate to say. But would get you what you are looking for.

The 7mm-08 is a great caliber, but is not going to perform remotely similar to a short-action magnum. And in all honesty, you're going to want a long action for those calibers.

Kind of all over the place?? You could have a smith rechamber your 7mm-08 to 284, but personally I wouldn't do that. Your 7-08 is capable of what you are asking for in a hunting gun. Who ever rechambers your barrel will have to head space it, not sure if you were implying you were going to chamber the barrel yourself???

If you are set on a new gun I'd go w/ the 7mag. Doesn't sound like you reload and there are more factory ammo options. Sendaro, LRH, or tikka would be at the top of my list, weatherby would be towards the bottom.

Kind of all over the place?? You could have a smith rechamber your 7mm-08 to 284, but personally I wouldn't do that. Your 7-08 is capable of what you are asking for in a hunting gun. Who ever rechambers your barrel will have to head space it, not sure if you were implying you were going to chamber the barrel yourself???

If you are set on a new gun I'd go w/ the 7mag. Doesn't sound like you reload and there are more factory ammo options. Sendaro, LRH, or tikka would be at the top of my list, weatherby would be towards the bottom.
Yep........

No, not all weatherby's come with that gurantee. The Accumark's do and the MK5's might, but not all of their line does.

Sorry I didn't mean to go all over the place. I'm just throwing stuff at the wall to see what sticks.

I don't know a whole lot, so I was just asking questions from guys who have been down that road.

On a good note I have decided on a rifle. The nosler 28. It's everything I'm looking for. It's perfect. I've searched the internet and nothing comes close. Only problem I see is it only seems to come in a 26 inch barrel.

Second choice would be the 26 nosler. I can't wait. Thanks for your help.

Sorry I didn't mean to go all over the place. I'm just throwing stuff at the wall to see what sticks.

I don't know a whole lot, so I was just asking questions from guys who have been down that road.

On a good note I have decided on a rifle. The nosler 28. It's everything I'm looking for. It's perfect. I've searched the internet and nothing comes close. Only problem I see is it only seems to come in a 26 inch barrel.

Second choice would be the 26 nosler. I can't wait. Thanks for your help.
Actually, the 7mm STW, and 7mm LRM both come very close ballistically...

Also, don't believe all the BS supporter hype on the internet... This caliber has only been officially out for a week or 2... I highly doubt the 50 million people talking about it, all own one. :rolleyes:

Also, Nosler put out a ton of hype over the .26 Nosler, and it was pretty much a dud, other than the case being good for wildcats like the .28 Nosler, .30 Nosler, etc...

I am not saying it's a bad caliber, because I am looking into building one soon. I'm just saying, that it's too new for everyone to proclaim that it is the best there is, was, and ever will be.....Because we all see how the .26 Nosler turned out. LOL

Also, I've been told that Nosler's rifles are not always superbly accurate... And their customer service has been less than lackluster in my experience when sending them emails asking about their brass, and never getting a reply back. So, if that's any indicator, I wouldn't spend $3,000+ on a rifle built by them. I do like their brass, but that's the only thing Nosler I buy these days.

Awe man mud I was on cloud 9 ,until I read you post. Now I'm sitting in the corner with my bottom lip stuck out.

They have a production 28 that's half of the custom price. Well I guess ill be doing some more research , maybe some customers reviews.

Mud if I don't go with a nosler 28, who else makes one.

You could always buy a cheap Remington 700 chambered for a RUM caliber and have the barrel removed, order a good blank like a Krieger, Lilja, Brux, Benchmark, etc... And have it chambered for 28 Nosler, get the action trued, buy an inexpensive Bell & Carlson Medalist or basic Manners stock, bed the action to the stock, and float the barrel...And be WAY ahead of the game for about what that Nosler rifle would cost.

There are lots of good smiths on this site that can help you out. Your local gun store might even have a designated smith they use and recommend. You might could even talk to Fred "jfseamon" on here and he can point you in the right direction. JE Custom, Kirby Allen, and several others are all excellent smiths that reside on this site. Kevin Cram from Montour County Rifles up in PA, is another one I hear great things about. He also sells trued 700 actions for a good price, if you don't already have one. So that might be a good direction to go.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.