.280 , 284, 7mm mag, 270 wbm

Awe man mud I was on cloud 9 ,until I read you post. Now I'm sitting in the corner with my bottom lip stuck out.

They have a production 28 that's half of the custom price. Well I guess ill be doing some more research , maybe some customers reviews.

You've have gotten very good recommendations but the good folks here (with many years of hands on personal experience) can only do just that "provide you the best advice based on your criteria or information you've provided". However, you have the ultimate decision to make but you must face the consequences associated with the decision.

IMHO, it does not matter which rifle or chambering you decide on because I guarantee once you're hooked it is not going to be your last and you'll be facing the same decision again at a later date - so get what you really want/need at this time - you can always modify it later. :D:rolleyes::cool:

Having said that, if you're going to do LR shooting/hunting you really need to consider reloading, regardless if you're going to end up with factory or custom rifle. It just doesn't sound right to feed a factory ammo in a custom rifle; custom rifle deserves a custom load. lightbulbgun)

I can't speak for the 26 or the 28 but a friend have a .280 AI in M48 patriot and he's shooting <1 MOA at 200 yards with factory ammo. I only shot it a couple of times at the range and it is a nice rifle and looks very well put together but that's all I really know about the rifle. The bottom-line is he's happy with his investment.

Good luck!

I'm not really new to shooting just to owning a custom rifle. I love the 280. I have a bar 280. I've always wanted a bolt rifle in that caliber. I'm kinda shocked that it's so hard to find. Browning, savage, and I think remington offer them, but I'm not interested in those companies.

If the 26 or 28 aren't the right gun, than the 280 ai sounds pretty enticing.

I have a 280 .284 and a 7mag.My favorite is the 280 in a 700 mountain rifle.It is the most accurate of the three and the most fun to shoot.It has taken deer bear caribou and a cow moose.Shooting a speer 145 BT going 3000fps.

Oh boy , I've located a nosler 26 and nosler 280 ai. Both good prices. Decisions, decisions. Since the 26 is so new and no reviews. The 280 has nothing but great reviews, might lean towards the 280. But the 28 is sooooooo cool and it's a beast.

Oh boy , I've located a nosler 26 and nosler 280 ai. Both good prices. Decisions, decisions. Since the 26 is so new and no reviews. The 280 has nothing but great reviews, might lean towards the 280. But the 28 is sooooooo cool and it's a beast.
You're looking at around 200-250fps more velocity with the 28 vs a .280 AI plus a good supply of factory ammo and brass in the future so I know which way I'd choose between the two.

lightbulbIf your choices above satisfies your quest to "owning a custom rifle" as you noted below then go for it!lightbulb

I'm not really new to shooting just to "owning a custom rifle". I love the 280. I have a bar 280. I've always wanted a bolt rifle in that caliber. I'm kinda shocked that it's so hard to find. Browning, savage, and I think remington offer them, but I'm not interested in those companies.

If the 26 or 28 aren't the right gun, than the 280 ai sounds pretty enticing.

You're looking at around 200-250fps more velocity with the 28 vs a .280 AI plus a good supply of factory ammo and brass in the future so I know which way I'd choose between the two.
For a common bullet in 280 like the Nosler Accubond 168, more like 300+ at the same pressures but.....

Everyone seems to want to down speed the xx-Nosler and up speed their favorites. It has ever been thus...

As for choice, what ever floats your boat. Want a bigger boom, go xx-Nosler. Want more load data go 280AI.

For a common bullet in 280 like the Nosler Accubond 168, more like 300+ at the same pressures but.....

Everyone seems to want to down speed the xx-Nosler and up speed their favorites. It has ever been thus...

As for choice, what ever floats your boat. Want a bigger boom, go xx-Nosler. Want more load data go 280AI.
No I'm certainly not knocking it. The 280 AI gets within a 100fps of the 7mm Rem and the 28 adds another 100-150fps on top of that.

The 28 would really start to shine I think in a rig with a 28-30" barrel just like the STW.

With a 26" barrel though you just can't take full advantage of the large case capacity so the net gain in velocity isn't as great as it would be with the long barrel.

To be clear, if I were choosing between the two it would be the 28 Nosler I'd take home because of all of the reasons outlined above.

Give me a choice between two calibers using the same bullet, both capable of great accuracy and I'll take the faster and flatter of the two every time for a hunting rig.

With all the reading I've done and the advice im receiving there are more checks in the 280 ai column.

I really don't want a 30 inch barrel, plus it seems easier to get a 280 ai. I located a dealer in pa, and it will take a year to get. No big deal I can wait.

What's barrel life like on the 280 ai. Unless it's gunshot , I don't think I feel safe buying a used rifle. But once I place my order I can't go back.

The 280 is more versatile and more practical, it's a better choice for me. I can't see myself hunting with a 30 inch barrel , and I don't want to.

With all the reading I've done and the advice im receiving there are more checks in the 280 ai column.

I really don't want a 30 inch barrel, plus it seems easier to get a 280 ai. I located a dealer in pa, and it will take a year to get. No big deal I can wait.

What's barrel life like on the 280 ai. Unless it's gunshot , I don't think I feel safe buying a used rifle. But once I place my order I can't go back.

The 280 is more versatile and more practical, it's a better choice for me. I can't see myself hunting with a 30 inch barrel , and I don't want to.

A dealer? I thought you were going custom? 1yr sounds like a long time, by then you'll already want a different rifle.

I have a 280 and a 284, if I had a little hind sight I would have two 284's. Maybe even a 284 shehane. One reason is you will be able to comfortably load the long heavys in your mag where as the 280 may have problems. This may be more of an issue once the 195's come out. Also there's something about those short fat cases... oh and LAPUA brass.

*Unless you get an absolute lemon used gun, worst case scenario is you put a new tube on it. Just make sure the price is right... and most likely not a year wait. Dang, I just realized that's after next season.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.