I want a legit argument against an old trusted cartridge

IMO - No one rifle or caliber is the best but the 7mm RM is a really good compromise for an "all around" rifle on most dear species, pigs and black bear.

Most deer? I would say all deer. Moose aren't even immune to that 7mm Mag.

Look at something simple like the 160g Nosler Partition loading by Federal.

Out at 400 yards its still traveling at 2200 feet per second and carrying 1730 pounds of energy. I would take that kind of performance on moose any day.

If you're handloading you can obviously do better, however the cartridge has been around for so long and has been so popular there are a ton of great off the shelf choices.

Last edited:
Id
I started off my hunting career with a 7mm Remington Magnum. It never failed me but eventually I was bitten by the "bigger and better" bug. I switched to a 300 win mag which I believed would serve me well with a little more knock down power, if I ever made it to Alaska to hunt big bears.

I shortly realized elk, dear, antalope, and black bear don't know the difference between the 300 and 7mm... it's more about shot placement and the type of bullet being used.

So I went back the the 7mm because of less recoil and better wind fighting capabilities.

Then I was bitten by the "newest shinniest" bug. I picked the next cartridge by going backwards. I wanted the highest BC, highest SD bullet made, which was at the time the 7mm 195 Berger EOL. Then found the cartridge which would push it the fastest and flattest, the 28 Nosler (besides the Allen mags and other wildcats).

After messing with the 28 Nosler for probably 2 rifles, 5 barrels, maybe 2000 rounds within the last year... I don't know it's worth it.

The 7mm Remington Magnum will kill anything. It's cheap. It doesn't kick bad with a muzzle brake. I could hunt around the world and if I lose my hand loads, I can find ammo. I believe it is the best all around, do anything, caliber ever made.

It has better ballistics and more power than all the small target cartridges (6mm, 6.5mm Creedmoor and x47 Lapua, 6.5- 284, the BR range of cartridges, and 308 win). Yet is far cheaper, less recoil, more available and easier on barrels than the "bigger and better" or "new and shiny" cartridges like 26 and 28 Nosler, 300 rum, 6.5-300 weatherby and the like.

I guess I want a valid argument (I hope you win) as to why any caliber out there is better than the 7 mag, because the more I try new things, the more I get pulled back to my 7.
I'd like to argue with you but I just can't. LoL!!! We both on the same page. If a 12 year old boy can drop a Elk at just under 1400 yards with a 7 Rem Mag and 180 grain Berger VLDs. Well that's it. Just nothin else to say.

I think that the 6.5's are the BEST because that's what all the cool, bearded, 511 pants wearing "Tactical Guys" at the range use....and they all know what's BEST. They love saying things like, "I'm running 140 Berger's."

Come on guys, you know who you are;)

PS Why do the cool guys say "Running" now? We used to say, "using."
Wow, I didn't know I was joining a club with my latest purchases ! I recently built a 6.5 creed remage , and caught some 511 taclite pants on sale not long ago too. I will have to start practicing using the term " running " when referring to my bullet choice. I'm RUNNING 130 Berger's in my perfect caliber rifle . Hmm, gonna take some getting use to, I recon. :D

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.