.260, 6.5-284, 7mm-08, 7mm

Yes I was thinking about a .264 and loading in down alittle to lessen the recoil. And increase barrel life a tad. Although when you start talking .264 speed barrel life shouldn't be one of your concerns. I don't mind rebarreling. Lol... With a brake and 9 pound gun. You think it is possible to get a .264 MW recoil down to around 14-15.

Yes I was thinking about a .264 and loading in down alittle to lessen the recoil. And increase barrel life a tad. Although when you start talking .264 speed barrel life shouldn't be one of your concerns. I don't mind rebarreling. Lol... With a brake and 9 pound gun. You think it is possible to get a .264 MW recoil down to around 14-15.

Why not just barrel in 6.5-06? High quality brass will be easy to locate and max loads aren't needed.
Just a thought.

My buddy has a Cooper 6.5x284 single shot and it's a hammer.

It's become his go-to hunting rifle. Originally designated as his sheep gun, among other things, he's killed 5 wolves and a 61" alaskan moose with it.

I've used a 6.5x284 when I started shooting 600 yard F-Class (Savage) and learned a lot. That barrel was rough as a cob, and it struggled with fliers, but I was a great way to learn.

What they say about being a barrel burner is true, but for a hunting gun it shouldn't be an issue if you don't run it hot for probably 1500 rounds.

-nosualc

Last edited:
The advantage of the 6.5-284 and .264wm is that they are factory rounds. Commercial ammo is available. Granted small choice. But, yes it does make it easy to sell. Don't get me wrong the 6.5-06 is a very nice round.

Put one of the North West Precision slotted muzzle brakes on it and I promise it will be completely tolerable.

I have one on my light weight 300Rum M70 and it made it a pure pleasure to shoot and it's only about 7lbs.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.