6.5 Credmoor vs 7mm-08

Glocklover72

Which do you prefer and why, the 6.5 Creed or the 7mm-08?

I own a 308, 300 win mag, and a 257 Weatherby mag. Looking for something different. Will use this rifle in a lightweight bolt action platform. Plan on handing it down to my son for his first whitetail deer rifle. I'm not a paper puncher but do like to go out to the range and shoot long distances for fun.

Which do you prefer and why, the 6.5 Creed or the 7mm-08?

I own a 308, 300 win mag, and a 257 Weatherby mag. Looking for something different. Will use this rifle in a lightweight bolt action platform. Plan on handing it down to my son for his first whitetail deer rifle. I'm not a paper puncher but do like to go out to the range and shoot long distances for fun.

It is really just a matter of preference because both are almost identical in performance.

So with that said, My preference would be the 7/08 for many reasons. Availability of ammo, cases, dies and reamers. and it is just a proven dear round.

You can also set the 7/08 up to be a 7/08x40 and improve the performance while still being able to fire standard 7/08 ammo with great accuracy and fire form at the same time.

There is no downside to ether in performance so it is just what is easiest to use. any standard action
setup for the 308 family of cartridges will work perfectly with ether the 7/08 or the 7/08x40 without any alterations to the action.

Just my opinion

J E CUSTOM

I just had my first custom rifle built and I had it built in 7/08 because I like the 7mm. 168gr. Berger VLD's. I shot my first buck with it this year at 550 yards. One shot, he ran a few yards and he was done. Wish I could load some pics on here so I could share the story. My friend used my rifle to shoot his at 420 yards during the same hunt. (He owns a 338 ultra mag and chose to use my much more accurate 7/08):D

It is really just a matter of preference because both are almost identical in performance.

So with that said, My preference would be the 7/08 for many reasons. Availability of ammo, cases, dies and reamers. and it is just a proven dear round.

You can also set the 7/08 up to be a 7/08x40 and improve the performance while still being able to fire standard 7/08 ammo with great accuracy and fire form at the same time.

There is no downside to ether in performance so it is just what is easiest to use. any standard action
setup for the 308 family of cartridges will work perfectly with ether the 7/08 or the 7/08x40 without any alterations to the action.

Just my opinion

J E CUSTOM

I like your well thought-out opinion.

Hi Glocklover,

You have a keen eye for handguns.

Here's my guess: if you were to buy a lightweight 7MM-08 Rem, it'll soon become your most often used rifle.

I own a couple heavy rifles, one of which I've never used. Now when I reach for a big game rifle, I reach for the lightest one.

BTW, there's magic in .284 caliber bullets. 175 grain .284 caliber bullets will penetrate just about anything including elephants' skulls & kill 'em dead.

Just my opinion

J E CUSTOM
Hope this is not too much of a threadjack but I've never heard of a 7/08x40 and now I'm curious. Is that a 7/08 w/40* shoulder perhaps? What kind of velocity can that realistically provide?

Hope this is not too much of a threadjack but I've never heard of a 7/08x40 and now I'm curious. Is that a 7/08 w/40* shoulder perhaps? What kind of velocity can that realistically provide?

I'm pretty sure he means a 7/08 Ackley which has a 40* shoulder. I've never seen anyone call it a 7/08x40...must be a Texas thing...:rolleyes:

I like the 6.5mm rounds for deer sized game. I have two different chamberings in 6.5mm. A 6.5 SLR and a .260 Rem. My 14 year old daughter took her muley this year at 637 yards with a single shot using a 127 Barnes LRX. I usually shoot 140 Berger HVLD, but the unit we were hunting requests the use of non-lead ammo.

I like the 6.5mm rounds for deer sized game. I have two different chamberings in 6.5mm. A 6.5 SLR and a .260 Rem. My 14 year old daughter took her muley this year at 637 yards with a single shot using a 127 Barnes LRX. I usually shoot 140 Berger HVLD, but the unit we were hunting requests the use of non-lead ammo.

What a great buck! As a daughter of a teen girl myself, I think it's really awesome that you're teaching your daughter about hunting and spending quality time together! Don't take it for granted because I can't get my daughter interested in it, even though I've tried. I saw your videos somewhere on here or youtube and was impressed with your teamwork. Great job Dad!gun)

It is a 7/08 with a 40o shoulder and slightly less body taper. It headspaces with the 308,or 7/08 head space gauge so you can shoot 7/08 ammo in it and maintain head space while fire forming.

PO Ackley never did a 7/08 so liking the benefits of the 40o shoulder some of the "Old Timers" decided to use it and it became the 7/08 x 40o. Just because it has a 40o degree shoulder does not automatically make it a Ackley and there are many different versions of it including a 30o and a 37o and including the 40o shoulder. The standard 7/08 Remington has a 20o shoulder and buy moving the shoulder to any of these shoulder dimensions increases the powder capacity and improves brass life.

The 7/08 x 40 will push a 140 grain bullet as fast as the 7/08 will a 120 grain bullet and improves brass life and all but eliminates case stretch that requires trimming often to maintain case length.

I have both the 7/08 and the 7/08x40 and they are some of my favorite rifles for accuracy and stopping ability on deer size game.

There are plenty of dies for the 7/08, 7/08x30 and 7/08 x 40 plus the fact that any of the 308 line of cases can be used for any of the 7/08s. Also Lapua now makes cases for the 7/08 that are the finest cases made with the proper case head stamp.

J E CUSTOM

I just had my first custom rifle built and I had it built in 7/08 because I like the 7mm. 168gr. Berger VLD's. I shot my first buck with it this year at 550 yards. One shot, he ran a few yards and he was done. Wish I could load some pics on here so I could share the story. My friend used my rifle to shoot his at 420 yards during the same hunt. (He owns a 338 ultra mag and chose to use my much more accurate 7/08):D

Just figured out the issue with uploading photos...here's some pics

Attachments

• IMG_5527.JPG
    IMG_5527.JPG
    262.6 KB · Views: 142
  • 20161110_143946.jpg
    20161110_143946.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 152
  • 20161114_163340.jpg
    20161114_163340.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 150
It is a 7/08 with a 40o shoulder and slightly less body taper. It headspaces with the 308,or 7/08 head space gauge so you can shoot 7/08 ammo in it and maintain head space while fire forming.

PO Ackley never did a 7/08 so liking the benefits of the 40o shoulder some of the "Old Timers" decided to use it and it became the 7/08 x 40o. Just because it has a 40o degree shoulder does not automatically make it a Ackley and there are many different versions of it including a 30o and a 37o and including the 40o shoulder. The standard 7/08 Remington has a 20o shoulder and buy moving the shoulder to any of these shoulder dimensions increases the powder capacity and improves brass life.

The 7/08 x 40 will push a 140 grain bullet as fast as the 7/08 will a 120 grain bullet and improves brass life and all but eliminates case stretch that requires trimming often to maintain case length.

I have both the 7/08 and the 7/08x40 and they are some of my favorite rifles for accuracy and stopping ability on deer size game.

There are plenty of dies for the 7/08, 7/08x30 and 7/08 x 40 plus the fact that any of the 308 line of cases can be used for any of the 7/08s. Also Lapua now makes cases for the 7/08 that are the finest cases made with the proper case head stamp.

J E CUSTOM

Well, if you want to buy anything for it you would ask for a 7mm/08 Ackley Improved...not a 7mm/08x40.

7mm-08 Remington Ackley Improved- MidwayUSA

Same goes with reamers.

Just sayin.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.