6.5 Credmoor vs 7mm-08

Which do you prefer and why, the 6.5 Creed or the 7mm-08?

I own a 308, 300 win mag, and a 257 Weatherby mag. Looking for something different. Will use this rifle in a lightweight bolt action platform. Plan on handing it down to my son for his first whitetail deer rifle. I'm not a paper puncher but do like to go out to the range and shoot long distances for fun.

Of those 2... 7mm-08 hands-down. Alternative option.... .260 Rem or .260 AI.

Gonna have to go Creed on this one. I really considered the 08 for my AR-10 build but it's just a little under capacity for a LR rig.
Also you said lightweight. A 130 at 2900 will be more fun in a lightweight than a 160 class in the 7-08 especially when you hand it down to your son.
Killing wise I think its nearly a dead heat. The Creed will run a higher BC faster than the 7-08 can, with less recoil and a higher SD which will yield better penetration.
Also the Creed brass is becoming very easy to find and will be forever at this point. The new Lapua stuff with the small primer will put it in a different class than the 08 for many uses.
Either one will be a great rig, if elk is on the menu go 7mm. If not run a Creed.

Gonna have to go Creed on this one. I really considered the 08 for my AR-10 build but it's just a little under capacity for a LR rig.
Also you said lightweight. A 130 at 2900 will be more fun in a lightweight than a 160 class in the 7-08 especially when you hand it down to your son.
Killing wise I think its nearly a dead heat. The Creed will run a higher BC faster than the 7-08 can, with less recoil and a higher SD which will yield better penetration.
Also the Creed brass is becoming very easy to find and will be forever at this point. The new Lapua stuff with the small primer will put it in a different class than the 08 for many uses.
Either one will be a great rig, if elk is on the menu go 7mm. If not run a Creed.

Lapua makes Palma .308 Win brass, and to neck it down to 7mm-08 is a simple process... Also, Lapua has been making .260 Rem brass for years. So, I'd say Lapua brass portion being a plus for all 3 mentioned.

Don't rule out the 6.5X47. Really nice round that will do everything the Creed and 260 will.

Well, if you want to buy anything for it you would ask for a 7mm/08 Ackley Improved...not a 7mm/08x40.

7mm-08 Remington Ackley Improved- MidwayUSA

Same goes with reamers.

Just sayin.

Not to start an argument, but as I said, not everything that has a 40 degree shoulder is an Ackley
there are plenty of 7/08x30o and others. what would you call them? If you called it a Ackley you could mislead the owner because most people relate the Ackley's and the 40o shoulder because that was his favorite shoulder angle and the use of the wrong ammo could be attempted.

There are many different 280 Remington AIs for example, and the best example currently is the SAAMI 280 AI by Nosler. It is called that Because Nosler had it certified By SAAMI and it is different than all other 280 AIs. As A gunsmith, It is a requirement to place the cartridge designation on the barrel and it has to be the exact description of the cartridge if it is a SAAMI cartridge, There description is to be used. If it is anything other than SAAMI, that has to be part of the description. Any dimension difference like tighter neck, shorter neck, different shoulder angle, less or more body taper, ETC has to be part of that identification or at least the Wildcat name to let the owner of the rifle know that it is not a SAAMI chamber.

SAAMI does not list a 7/08 AI even though some of the die makers make dies for the 7/08 x30o
or the 7/08x40o and you must know what the dimensions of the dies are when you order a reamer.
for now, the dies are the most commonly used 7/08x 30 or 40o that have been used for many years but if someone submits there own version to SAAMI and it is excepted as the standard, All of that may change.

One more time, The reason it is called a 7/08x40 is Because it is not a SAAMI cartridge and PO Ackley never submitted or designed a 708 Ackley. In fact if they wanted to standardize it and call it a 7/08 x 40 that would be the barrel designation if in fact that was what it was chambered in. so for now gunsmiths are required to mark the barrel 7/08x40
because it is not A SAAMI cartridge and the description matches the cartridge and tells the owner that it is NOT a 7/08 but something different and will require different ammunition. (It is not a TEXAS thing, just a matter of being correct)

JUST SAYING.

J E CUSTOM

I own all the calibers mentioned. I have the Kimber Andirondack in .308 and it is my goto for short range work inside 500. Just to hard to steady a sub 5 lb gun at 500 plus for me. After that it's my 6.5.My 7mm-08 spends more time in the safe. It really is a matter of personal preference. I have my walk and stalk rig and my bean field rig. This is what I prefer for my hunting situations. Took me many years to settle with these two but I have after 3 decades settled.

My daughter bought a savage 7mm-08 and it wont stabilize the 162 a-max so 140 grain and smaller. I really like the 7mm caliber but the factory rifles have too slow of a twist for the best bullets so range is a little limited, most factory 6.5 creedmoor's have a 1-8" twist and will stabilize the best 6.5 bullets.

I agree. Standard 7mm twist needs to be changed up to a true 1:9 twist. Especially since 180's have become standard fodder these days.

I would love to see Remington make a 5R Gen2 in 7mm RemMag with a 26" threaded 1:8 twist barrel on it. I would be first in line to buy one. And Remington...If you're out there listening...If you use this idea, the only thing I ask in return for my ideas is free rifles that you build based on my ideas. That's all. :D

I agree. Standard 7mm twist needs to be changed up to a true 1:9 twist. Especially since 180's have become standard fodder these days.

I would love to see Remington make a 5R Gen2 in 7mm RemMag with a 26" threaded 1:8 twist barrel on it. I would be first in line to buy one. And Remington...If you're out there listening...If you use this idea, the only thing I ask in return for my ideas is free rifles that you build based on my ideas. That's all. :D
Yes that would make the 7mm bore the king of long range or any range for that matter.

Almost all factory twists need changed up in todays day and age. What is a 14 twist 223 cal barrel good for?

Almost all factory twists need changed up in todays day and age. What is a 14 twist 223 cal barrel good for?

Exactly... 1:7 for .223, 1:8 for .257, 1:8 for 6.5, 1:8 for 7mm, 1:10 for .30 would make the gun world a MUCH friendlier place. They'd probably sell a lot more factory rifles, too. Especially since factory rifle production technology has increased to high-quality mass-produced products, and more factories are using 5R rifling on their guns now. It would be nice if they would update their twist rates to handle most of today's new standard of "heavy-for-caliber" bullets.

The first manufacturer to start doing it, will be the new pace-setter for the rest of the rifle manufacturers. I hope Remington wises up. It appears that with some of the new additions, like the .260 Rem to their 5R lineup, like they are starting to progress.

Which do you prefer and why, the 6.5 Creed or the 7mm-08?

I own a 308, 300 win mag, and a 257 Weatherby mag. Looking for something different. Will use this rifle in a lightweight bolt action platform. Plan on handing it down to my son for his first whitetail deer rifle. I'm not a paper puncher but do like to go out to the range and shoot long distances for fun.
As big of a fan of the 7mm's as I am the 6.5 x 55, 6.5CM, and 260Rem are all much to be preferred over the 7mm-08.

The 7-08 is just simply too under powered.

Loaded with the right bullet and then putting that bullet where it belongs the 6.5's are more than ample for all but the largest and most dangerous game in the world.

In the last week I've taken two large wild boars with the .260Rem, both at 300yds plus and both dropped stone dead with a shot to the neck with neither taking a step.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.