6.5 CM vs 7MM-08 head to head ...

All I know is that, "WE" have, 2 very DEAD Elk, in our Freezer's, shot with "piddly, middle of the road", Cartridges and small "piddly" 140 and 150 grain Bullets, out of our under nourished, low velocity, 7mm-08 and .270 WSM,.. 7.5 Pound, "Hunting" Rifles! LOL !

Fastest load in the Hornady handbook for the 162 ELD-X is 2700. According to their website, the heaviest factory load is the 150 ELD-X at 2770. Gonna be hard to get 2800 out of the 7-08/162, even with a 26" barrel.
I'll bet if you stuff the case full of rl-26 you could get 2800+. My 6.5cm will easily break 2800 with 140s with what I would call "standard " 6.5 cm powders. With rl-26 the accuracy node is 2945 fps. Maybe not heck what do I know i dont have any experience loading 7mm-08.(wish i did though)

Every Rifle, is a little bit different, my sons 7mm-08 was hitting 2,850 FPS with just under 45 grs of, RL-17 a "top end", HOT Load, and showing, "Pressure",.. obtaining 2,850 to 2,870 FPS in HIS Rifle, he backed off a few tenth's ( 44.3 or so ) for Accuracy at 2,835- 2,845 ish with, the 150 ELD-X. The 162 gr ELD-X was "Marginally stable" at about, 2,700 FPS or so and would NOT group consistently at past 100 yards, as usually, there was one Flyer from, his 1-9.?? twist, Tikka T3X. He really wanted that, high BC bullet, to "work" in his rifle and he almost shot, the whole Box, trying ! But he got impressive, sub MOA to 1/2 MOA groups with, the 150 and IT,.. did it's "Job" !

Last edited:
I posted earlier on this comparison and just thought I would post another comparison that Is a more Apples to Apples comparison with
no bias or opinion on which is best. just a fair comparison with considerations for ether cartridge.

J E CUSTOM

Thats a great video - thanks for sharing. I watched that a while ago when I bought my son a creedmoor and was trying to decide what I should do for myself - I ended up going with a 260 and its a win win for both of us!

That must be an old 5-digit serial number rifle. Some of the first 700 magnums had those grooves cut into them for a relief cut for loading the longer .300 H&H mags and such, but I guess they realized it wasn't necessary for the 7mmRM's COAL, so the bolt doesn't go farther back on the 7mm RemMags. I guess they used a standard bolt stop for the 7mmRM's, but a modified bolt stop for the longer H&H mags.

You are absolutely correct on both the 5-digit serial number and the length of travel of the bolt in this July 1962 manufactured Remington 700 7mm Rem Mag!

Every Rifle, is a little bit different, my sons 7mm-08 was hitting 2,850 FPS with just under 45 grs of, RL-17 a "top end", HOT Load, and showing, "Pressure",.. obtaining 2,850 to 2,870 FPS in HIS Rifle, he backed off a few tenth's ( 44.3 or so ) for Accuracy at 2,835- 2,845 ish with, the 150 ELD-X. The 162 gr ELD-X was "Marginally stable" at about, 2,700 FPS or so and would NOT group consistently at past 100 yards, as usually, there was one Flyer from, his 1-9.?? twist, Tikka T3X. He really wanted that, high BC bullet, to "work" in his rifle and he almost shot, the whole Box, trying ! But he got impressive, sub MOA to 1/2 MOA groups with, the 150 and IT,.. did it's "Job" !

I shoot both 6.5 Creedmoor and 7mm-08 Rem, and have at least 5 rifles of each. All my 7mm-08s have 1 in 9.5" twist rates and all shoot 162gr ELD-X bullets great, at least out to the 450 yard range limit where I did load development on each of them. Only getting 2,650 fps max out of the fastest of them. Most are running @ 2,600 fps average year round, using RL-16 here in northeast FL. The only one of the 7mm-08s that wouldn't shoot sub-MOA was the Remington Model 7 with a pencil thin 20" barrel and it occasionally shoots 3 rounds MOA but, is a solid 1.5 MOA for 3 rounds shooter. It runs @ 2,570 fps. Still, it is probably going to be wearing a 21" Bartlein #3 5R 7mm 1 in 7" twist SS barrel chambered in 7mm-08 Rem by next year... Thought about changing it to 6.5 Creedmoor just for a bit thicker barrel in a #3 Bartlein contour compact but, I already have a very accurate lite weight and compact Ruger American in 6.5 Creedmoor.

I hope someone wildcats a 7mm-08 to a 6.5mm-08 to add to the mix. :D That should be good for another 10 pages.
The .260 Remington has been around (standardized) since 1997, and the wildcat it was derived from called the 6.5-08 A-Square has been around before that.

Last edited:
I had a Remington 700 from the custom shop in 7mm-08 AI. It had a 24" barrel and was super accurate. Someone made me an offer on it that I couldn't refuse. I sometimes miss that rifle and question if I should have let it go.

I was just thinking that would make a great cartridge. Kinda wish I had one.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.