I want a legit argument against an old trusted cartridge

Badgerclaw

I started off my hunting career with a 7mm Remington Magnum. It never failed me but eventually I was bitten by the "bigger and better" bug. I switched to a 300 win mag which I believed would serve me well with a little more knock down power, if I ever made it to Alaska to hunt big bears.

I shortly realized elk, dear, antalope, and black bear don't know the difference between the 300 and 7mm... it's more about shot placement and the type of bullet being used.

So I went back the the 7mm because of less recoil and better wind fighting capabilities.

Then I was bitten by the "newest shinniest" bug. I picked the next cartridge by going backwards. I wanted the highest BC, highest SD bullet made, which was at the time the 7mm 195 Berger EOL. Then found the cartridge which would push it the fastest and flattest, the 28 Nosler (besides the Allen mags and other wildcats).

After messing with the 28 Nosler for probably 2 rifles, 5 barrels, maybe 2000 rounds within the last year... I don't know it's worth it.

The 7mm Remington Magnum will kill anything. It's cheap. It doesn't kick bad with a muzzle brake. I could hunt around the world and if I lose my hand loads, I can find ammo. I believe it is the best all around, do anything, caliber ever made.

It has better ballistics and more power than all the small target cartridges (6mm, 6.5mm Creedmoor and x47 Lapua, 6.5- 284, the BR range of cartridges, and 308 win). Yet is far cheaper, less recoil, more available and easier on barrels than the "bigger and better" or "new and shiny" cartridges like 26 and 28 Nosler, 300 rum, 6.5-300 weatherby and the like.

I guess I want a valid argument (I hope you win) as to why any caliber out there is better than the 7 mag, because the more I try new things, the more I get pulled back to my 7.

Well, I agree the 7RM is a great caliber, and with the right twist, bullet, load and shooter, it will take game at LR/ELR. BUT, what are your intended goals for your thought experiment? Limits on range used? What size game? etc, etc? Those answers may present very different responses.

If in the deer, elk, black bear categories, and say 1,000yds and under, then learning to be extremely proficient with a good performing load is more important then changing from a 7mm to say 30 or 338 cal. Heck, my first experiences on the 1,000 yd line was shooting the old 30-06rd and then the 308/7.62 in Palma and M14. While not the flattest nor lowest drift, when well learned, they worked then and even more so now.

There are few substitutes for knowing your load/rifle/self's abilities and spending time becoming proficient with that load/rifle.

Changing cartridges all the time won't really get you anywhere IMO. Pick a cartridge that has the numbers that will meet your goals and get to work on it. 5 barrels and however many rounds cost you at least $2000 you could have put into your first setup. Use what works for you and get the best you can with it by shooting it as much as you can afford.
I chose a 28 Nosler. It's a cartridge that can take anything I will ever get to hunt. On top of that it was so easy to tune and load for. I took a Bison on Tuesday with it. One shot and down it went. Use what suits you and get the best you can with it. That's my take on it.

I guess I should answer the question. If an old trusted cartridge doesn't have the ballistics to meet your goals then get a new one. My old trusted is a 22-250, don't think I could make it work on a bison lol. So there is your argument I guess.

Last edited:
Funny with all of the latest long range Crazy and cartridges, one of the best long range cartridges 7mm Rem mag has been here all along. Throat it for the heavies and its as good as it gets for hunting.

Now with that said I have never, and will never own one, just to plain Jane for me hahaha

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.