I want a legit argument against an old trusted cartridge

I like the sledge hammer analogy. When I go to shoot a pesky skunk or raccoon on the farm do I grab a 7mag or 300mag? Of course not, I'll go the 22. Coyotes off of the front porch don't get the big guns either. There are other calibers for them also. One gun......Why?

When you bring up RECOIL in a conversation about 7mm RM vs 300 WM ...... I lose my lunch with disgust....

Where did all the men go in the shooting sports ? weenies
Especially when both have brakes.....I honestly can't tell the difference. The ergonomics of the stock make more difference. As far as braked rifles go.....I'm just a stock away from a 338 Norma mag that will weigh 8.75 lbs ready to hunt. With the MBM titanium beast 5 port, it will probably be about like an unbraked sporter .308 win......pleasant. The 11.5 lb T3 braked .338 norma mag I'm currently finishing up load development for allows you to spot your hits past about 250-300 yards, I would let my 110 lb niece shoot it without hesitation.

I am no hero, I get knocked around by recoil too, but I manage it better than most by correct posture and foot placement when shooting off-hand and, as I shoot F-Class Open with a 264WM & 300WM from prone, I am handy at field shooting from hastily assumed prone positions.
Once, and only once, have I received a scope hit to the eye, and that was a 300WM Super Grade, shooting prone, scope hit my glasses and bounced into my nose, left a small graze, not a cut.

Recoil is all about fit and function, if the 7RM or 300WM are too much for you, then a 30-06 is probably too much too.

Cheers.

There are few instances where the newest thing is really that much better. However sometimes they are. It depends on your needs but here is an example. The 224 valkyrie and the 22-250 are very similar in potential performance. The valkyrie fits in ar15 sized guns. Could be a plus for some people. Also the valkyrie has a faster twist so can make use of the heavy 22 caliber bullets. Could be a plus as well. It being new means that it isnt constrained by legacy guns or ammo specs alowing it to do something different. That difference could be better for someone.

Legacy constraints and ammo specs as in factory ammo. When you buy a box of 45-70 they don't know if you are loading in a modern Marlin or a hundred year old Sharpe's. Same with many many older calibers. Leaving this up to the public to figure out is why they have lawyers, sad to say.

Legacy constraints and ammo specs as in factory ammo. When you buy a box of 45-70 they don't know if you are loading in a modern Marlin or a hundred year old Sharpe's. Same with many many older calibers. Leaving this up to the public to figure out is why they have lawyers, sad to say.

Why the 444 marlin was introduced. No old trap door Springfields chambered so the companies could bump pressures and get more performance.

Pretty much every possible "niche" has been filled for many years, with the exception of some very exotic cartridges. We just keep building new mousetraps. But....you can't be one of the "cool kids" if you stay with one of the proven old standards. So......do you "need" to be one of the "cool kids"! If you are content and happy with your cartridge....that's all that matters. My preferred "do it all" cartridge is 107 years old, and still gets the job done effectively.....and still has a large following!

Some of the new "wiz-bang" cartridges will continue with large followings......while still "not" being better than it's predecessors. But, I guess that is just good marketing and manufactures meeting "supply and demand"! memtb

Last edited:
The 7's have always been to in between for me.

I know there are several being used as class rifles.

It's never been enough more than the .30-06 or other standard cartridges in my mind.

I like the 7mmRM, I had one of the 1st gen Senderos in this caliber and it was wonderfully accurate. I shot the barrel out on it (1300rds).
Got an un-braked 700P that kicks the beJesus out of me. I don't shoot it much because of that. It's really my sons (I gave it to him) but has ended up back over here at my house, for some reason?
I always shot the 150gn Ballistic Tip's in my 7Mags and the 700P shoots them well, and fast (3200+fps). I had a few of the Wildcat 169.5gn bullets and worked up a decent (.4") load but they're all gone now. This was a pleasant surprise (to me) because I had tried to get this same rifle to shoot a 168gn Berger and never could get the results I was after.
I've semi-convinced my boy into putting a brake on the thing and he's agreeable but has yet to send funds, thinks he's waiting/hoping I'll do it.
This is a factory 9.25t, so not sure how heavy I can go but with a brake I might try it!

I also have a braked .300WinMag and like it a lot. It spits out the 215gn Bergers at about 3050fps and holds fist sized groups out to 1k, the last time I shot it. It sends the 212gn ELD-X's a little faster but haven't sent them in to the next zip code, yet, maybe this weekend.

"Where have all the men gone"?...to the range with their muzzle brakes! LoL.

Last edited:
I've used the 7mm RM for over 30 years and on a lot of game, I'm currently on my 5th rifle and until a few years ago it was my go-to trophy hunting round....
Now I reach for my 300 RUM, and secondly my 6.5-300 Weatherby for important outings for this reason- these newer rounds have noticeably flatter trajectory, making it easier to place a killing shot accurately at uncertain distances when there isn't time to range the target animal.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.