I want a legit argument against an old trusted cartridge

It's all in what you want to do. If your goal is to hunt at extremely long distances and shoot a little paper here and there then you might not be able to beat it. For me I shoot a lot at more medium ranges like 200 to 500 yards and nothing in Oklahoma is bigger than a well placed 308 will take care of at those distances. I don't mind shooting 100rds at the range in 308 but a 7 mag wears me out faster.

The 6.5s and now 25s offer a legitimate low recoil long range option for deer and elk in a 7 lb pack rifle. I love brakes but a brake won't keep a 7 lb 7mm Mag on the target when firing. I used a 270 win/270 WSM and 300 WM for many years using 140 Accubonds and 200 gr Bergers without fail and I recently have dropped back to 6.5 for the same reason you dropped back to the 7mm. The 6.5 has also performed equally well to my surprise on both deer and elk. I can now stay on target and watch for impact without losing sight of the animal using my pack rifle. I recently built a 25 Creedmoor firing the 131 ACE at 3050. Perfect for a small pack rifle. I won't be packing a large magnum rifle around anymore. No big brown bears where I hunt; you may have a legitimate magnum need

I had the 7mm Mag on my list of rifles when I returned to the shooting sports and hunting,,, I think it made it to the top 10 on my list,,, it might of got to the top 5 before I crossed it out...

Not becuase it was a 7mm Mag,,, it was just a fraction to much of a cartridge that I didn't need at this stage of my life...

I wanted to get into frugal budget long range with standard cartridges,,, so a 30/06 and 308 fit those needs,,, my hunting range is capped at the give or take 200 yard mark with exceptions to reach past those distances,,, but the majority of critter hunting where I hunt allows for close range hunting up close...

I packed a shinny 7 mm Mag case in my pocket for 4 months this summer,,, a friend of mine was talking about going long,,, so I set that empty case on the dash of his truck... LOL...

Yuppers,,, he is young and in good shape with mechanical skills that could benefit something like that...

I'm to frugal and mid age that can't get past the 30/06 or 50 and 54 caliber Black powder stuff...

My argument is a fail as I'll take the low road with challanges since I missed the sign post that said take the good route... Ha

Dang Namit,,, age and not thinking always puts me in the under dog position

Cheers from the North

My buddy swears by the 7mm RM. Thinks it's 'magic'. Everything just dies when shot with it (per him, ha!) You'll get no argument from me. Classic cartridge capable of dealing with all North American game.

As time passes and recoil becomes more bothersome, you could switch to the 7mm RM LITE (aka, .270 Win) and not notice any change in your effectiveness in the hunting fields. Some people seem to freak out about the 0.07" bullet size difference, which amuses me. Not sure there is an animal anywhere in the world that has noticed.

If you don't need to chase the 'big stuff' anymore, the .25-06 Rem is waiting in the wings to serve your needs, too.

If you want to play 'games' (compete at long range) there is apparently this thing called a 6.5mm Creedmoor that might give your 7mm RM a run for it's money 'way out there'. But even it is getting supplanted by it's little brother, the 6mm Creedmoor. As for hunting, the 7mm RM will leave them both in the dust quite handily.

Is our goal to talk you OUT of the 7mm RM? Sorry I'm doing such a poor job...seems like you should just keep it. Nothing "whiz-bang-new" out there to make you replace it. You've already followed the .28 Nosler path to find it leads to more noise, higher recoil, increased cartridge costs, shorter barrel life, and not much (any?) difference in on-game performance. New cartridges are fun. They keep life interesting. But if a man or woman has limited funds, there sure doesn't seem to be anything wrong with the classics.

Last edited:
Look guys we all know that the younger hunters are getting fewer and the rest of us are getting older . All any of us need is a good bolt 30-06 and know how to shoot it proficiently . The gun co have to come up with something for us to buy to stay in business, period . Sure the new calibers are interesting, some slightly improved . But dead is dead guys . I personally have tried to keep Winchester and leupold in business . If your happy with the ole girl keep shooting if not try something new. My problem is I don't sell guns . Some inherited from family the rest I bought but they are all sentimental to me .

morning, elk, bear any very large game animal will not
know what killed them. NOW thru the ages for me I have owned
vast amounts of firearms in different calibers and killed
game and varmints with all. the 1 1 1 caliber that I favor
is the 308. easy to load, vast amounts of bullets, casing, powders
and primers. just THINK what this cartridge and caliber has
done in the history of firearms. TO ME none better.
justme gbot tum

I don't own one, but the 7mm mag still has some appeal to me, were I to explore the belted mags. I don't need to for my purposes. At the end of the day, many of these cartridges were spawned by guys that flat out knew what the heck they were doing and they've stood the test of time. My personal favorite is the .243. Sure it's a bit overbore and only dethroned the 6mm Rem due to timing/marketing reasons but it remains the most versatile and deadly cartridge I own. I don't need a .243 WSSM, AI, or 6 mm CRDM as far as I'm concerned, I'll stick with Warren Page's brainchild. It has served me well.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.