Hammer bullets

Yeah, they be small, but they hit big. No worries on elk. Just keep your hits above 1800 fps & it'll do the job handily. I haven't got to that particular projo yet in the .277, so if you try them, I'd love to have a report of your development process and the final results in the WSM.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Here is a bit of a different question out of curiosity.

What are y'all's experience with the Hammer Hunters say past 5 or 6 hundred yards with respect to accuracy.….So, do they begin to fall off rapidly?
Here is a group from my 300PRC.
199HH/RL26
1020 YARDS
MOA drop was very similar to the 212eld-x factory. Wish I could remember exactly.
30D89ACE-DE1C-4F23-86D5-AC7912861693_1_201_a.jpeg

I use Hammer Hunter 124 grain in my 6.5 CM with a 1 in 8 twist barrel at 3080 fps. And I really like them. But I also have a 270 WSM I'm taking elk hunting with which I have used Winchester 140 grain Barnes TTSX bullets. The gun shoots better than 1 moa at 500 yards (off a bench). I have decided this year to load rounds instead and wanted to use 140 grain Hammer Hunters but Hammer says the heaviest I can use is 124 grain Hammer Hunters because my gun has a 1 in 10 twist barrel.

Can somebody please tell me (in plain English as I am not physics major) why the Hunters 140's can't be stabled when the Barnes can.

And if any of you have used the 140's in a 1/10 twist let me know.
It is just physics. It has everything to do with bullet length/bullet weight/ and barrel twist. We are very careful to make sure we are marketing bullets that are fully stable. Some bullets on the market are listed with a min twist that will have them marginally stable. You can get marginally stable bullets to shoot well but the likelihood of poor performance on game increases with marginal stability. Don't let the weight of the 124g Hammer Hunter fool you. It will perform very well on elk.

To get "dropped in their tracks" performance out of the Hammers, where are you guys hitting them (deer specifically)? I notice in the majority of conversations about bullet effectiveness, that very important factor is often left out.

I'm planning to whitetail hunt on my 6 wooded acres this season and have zero desire to ask my neighbors if it's cool if I track a wounded deer across their property. My current plan for my 13 year old son and I was to high shoulder shoot them. Him with his 20" 6.5 CM and me with my 6.5 PRC, both using a 147gr ELD-M.

If I get the time to see which single bullet and powder will work for both cartridges, am I still going with the high shoulder shot, or does the speed and fracturing of the bullet mean I can heart/lung them and have a 90%+ chance they'll go less than 30 yards?

30-50 yard shots out of a tree stand.
It is very tough for me to say that Hammers will drop them all the time. There is always the possibility of that deer that will run with a perfect shot. I can say that we see faster tip from hit time with Hammers than I have ever seen with any other bullet. Guys that shoot thousands of animals per year will agree. Trophy Game Safari in South Africa will only use Hammers now and even offer a discount to customers who use them. Less time tracking is money made for them.

If you want a deer not to travel then your best shot will be to take out both front shoulders. High shoulder shots are very dramatic but sometimes require a finishing shot if the lungs are not impacted. They don't show you this on tv. I am a pocket shooter but now crowd the shoulder harder, since we see so little meat damage. Tighter into the shoulder gives more dramatic drops.

It is very tough for me to say that Hammers will drop them all the time. There is always the possibility of that deer that will run with a perfect shot. I can say that we see faster tip from hit time with Hammers than I have ever seen with any other bullet. Guys that shoot thousands of animals per year will agree. Trophy Game Safari in South Africa will only use Hammers now and even offer a discount to customers who use them. Less time tracking is money made for them.

If you want a deer not to travel then your best shot will be to take out both front shoulders. High shoulder shots are very dramatic but sometimes require a finishing shot if the lungs are not impacted. They don't show you this on tv. I am a pocket shooter but now crowd the shoulder harder, since we see so little meat damage. Tighter into the shoulder gives more dramatic drops.
True that. Case in point, shot Whitetail @20 yards through the heart with 50cal ML and still ran 60yards. These animals are tough.

I use Hammer Hunter 124 grain in my 6.5 CM with a 1 in 8 twist barrel at 3080 fps. And I really like them. But I also have a 270 WSM I'm taking elk hunting with which I have used Winchester 140 grain Barnes TTSX bullets. The gun shoots better than 1 moa at 500 yards (off a bench). I have decided this year to load rounds instead and wanted to use 140 grain Hammer Hunters but Hammer says the heaviest I can use is 124 grain Hammer Hunters because my gun has a 1 in 10 twist barrel.

Can somebody please tell me (in plain English as I am not physics major) why the Hunters 140's can't be stabled when the Barnes can.

And if any of you have used the 140's in a 1/10 twist let me know.
Because the Barnes is a shorter bullet.

They're both copper but the overall profile of the bullets are a lot different.

I appreciate the insight. I definitely have no expectation of a DRT shot every time as that's just not realistic with any bullet. Learning where to shoot to increase those odds was what I was after and you answered it. I have a video of an elk I double lung shot with a NAB and it just stood there for 52 seconds before dropping. The herd didn't know where the shot came from, so they didn't run. I'm quite sure the distance she could have travelled in that 52 seconds would have been much further than I wanted to pack her out. Two holes and lots of blood is great, but dying close to the shot is better.

Totally agree on shot placement in regards to whitetails, especially at dusk.