Hammer Bullets

I've used both the 92 and 98gr Hammers in mine (also 1:10) with excellent results. The bullet construction gives excellent speed and performance . When I rebarrel I'll be going faster twist...
Agreed! 98s have worked well in my 10 twist 25-06 and 257 Roberts.......excellent results on 12-15 deer and hogs with these two rifles.

I read on a different thread that they "load different than anything else" and the numbers were impressive with a faster burning powder than I would've guessed. In what ways do they load differently?
They have a very SMOOOOTH feel when seating. Also some seating considerations are required.
A bit more Jump than I'm used to.

What you are reading is with respect to the newest hammer bullet design, the Absolute Hammer.

The Hammer hunter and Shock hammer are a more conventional design, and behave more like bullets of like weight

The reason the Absolute behaves differently is that the nose is a little smaller in diameter. As a result, it doesn't engrave on the rifling - only the 'pdr' drive bands do. This novel design significantly reduces engraving pressure on ignition and bearing surface as the bullet travels down the barrel. As a result, under the right conditions, higher speeds can be obtained.
Okay...I'm old! And I guess maybe that's it......but would you explain to an old guy... something here......What bullet made ever....(except for balls)..... doesn't have a smaller nose diameter that doesn't engage the rifling? Even wad cutters have a taper!

Okay...I'm old! And I guess maybe that's it......but would you explain to an old guy... something here......What bullet made ever....(except for balls)..... doesn't have a smaller nose diameter that doesn't engage the rifling? Even wad cutters have a taper!
I think what he's saying is the shank of the bullet below the ogive is sub caliber. The only part of the bullet that actually engages the fifling is the rings.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.