Hammer Bullets

IMG_3128-X2.jpg

There's a whole bunch of stuff I'd like to try now but with the availability of supplies being what it is I'll have to wait. But believe me, I'm taking all sorts of notes.

Okay...I'm old! And I guess maybe that's it......but would you explain to an old guy... something here......What bullet made ever....(except for balls)..... doesn't have a smaller nose diameter that doesn't engage the rifling? Even wad cutters have a taper!

Yes, it's tricky to explain - typically the nose will taper into the ogive, but with the absolutes, it doesn't.

I don't have the time to draw a picture presently, as that would explain it best.

In Steve's words
...We set out to design this bullet to address the problem that we see with bullets of tight bore specifications that engraver further out onto the ogive resulting in poor bc performance. We came up with an ogive design that does not allow any engraving forward of the shoulder of the bullet. Just before the ogive reaches bore dia we put in a reverse PDR going into the first PDR drive band. For those that don't know PDR is Parabolic Drag Reduction, this is what we patented. Now there will be no difference from rifle to rifle in how much they distort the nose of the bullet. The only thing that can change is the configuration of engraving on the baring surface. So with this design you will likely not be able to reach the lands. Nor will you base to ogive measuring tools work as you are used to. They will set on the shoulder of the bullet.

From the thread:

Sorry for the confusion. I'm not a Hammer expert like some here, but I believe my understanding is correct.

@koonazz

In talking with Steve from Hammer, he said run up to pressure and back off a grain (Nosler data). It's literally that easy. Been the case with a 308 win with 152, 30-06 with 152, 300 WM with 152 and 181, 300 RUM with 152. Only one that has been a little tricky so far has been the 124 In a 6.5 SAUM (completely shooter induced). Only thing I would say is follow the twist rate recommendations and overspin if anything. These have all been with the Hammer Hunter. No experience with the Absolute Hammer.

I live in VA and will rarely shoot beyond where an ES of 20 FPS will induce anything that the shooter hasn't already.

For extreme range...of which I am still searching, I would load an appropriate pill. For up to 600+ Hammer is bomb!!!

@koonazz

In talking with Steve from Hammer, he said run up to pressure and back off a grain (Nosler data). It's literally that easy. Been the case with a 308 win with 152, 30-06 with 152, 300 WM with 152 and 181, 300 RUM with 152. Only one that has been a little tricky so far has been the 124 In a 6.5 SAUM (completely shooter induced). Only thing I would say is follow the twist rate recommendations and overspin if anything. These have all been with the Hammer Hunter. No experience with the Absolute Hammer.

I live in VA and will rarely shoot beyond where an ES of 20 FPS will induce anything that the shooter hasn't already.

For extreme range...of which I am still searching, I would load an appropriate pill. For up to 600+ Hammer is bomb!!!
Based on everything I've read, I'm sold. The only problem I have now is powder. All my powders are based on old school thinking. Slow burning powders for big cases. I don't even shoot a fast powder in my Creed, it gets fed RL26. A 15 year old 1/2 pound of H4831 is about the quickest burning stuff I have on hand. One step at a time.

RL26. What's that? I have never seen that unicorn dust. Until recently H1000 and RL22 were as slow as I went.

Not sure about the creed (never owned any 6.5 until about four months ago). I would say try it. Run it up wit a chrono if you have one or not.

RL26. What's that? I have never seen that unicorn dust. Until recently H1000 and RL22 were as slow as I went.

Not sure about the creed (never owned any 6.5 until about four months ago). I would say try it. Run it up wit a chrono if you have one or not.

Definitely unicorn dust. Its pushing a 140 gr Speer Gold Dot 2920 fps out of a 24" tube with no signs of pressure. I thought that was pretty quick for an old school bonded bullet. Then I see the performance these hammers are producing and there's no comparison.

I have seen where AR500 steel target companies recommend not shooting solid coppers at AR500 steel. Are most people validating Hammer bullets on paper out to 800 yards?

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.