Hammer Bullets

Terminal performance is the number one most important feature for us at Hammer Bullets. We entered into the bullet industry as hunters that were looking for better terminal performance. We had a very specific ideal of what we thought a bullet should do for terminal performance. It was much more difficult to achieve than we thought it would be but when we figured out how to make it happen, it set Hammer Bullets in a class of their own. Rapid opening, full shedding of the petals, and a flat frontal retained shank is the goal. Consistent retained weight from low to high velocity impacts in a wider range of velocity than any other bullets that I am aware of.

This is the physics study of terminal performance that we based Hammer Bullets on.

Lots of Hammer Bullets terminal performance data. This will keep you busy for a while.

I admit I was the biggest skeptic of the Hammer bullets when I started reading about them and had used Barnes bullets for the past 20 years with great success. So knowing the only way to prove them good or bad was to to try them on my annual elk hunt. I got hammer Absolutes tuned in one rifle and Hammer Hunters in another - both 280 AI's. Turns out, my friend had scope issues so he borrowed my back up. We both took elk and I would say shot placement was not the best on both. But neither animal took another step after being struck and a quick follow up shot was needed. The distance on both animals was close to 400 yds. I'm not sure another bullet would have immobilized both animals as the Hammers did, but I am beginning to be a believer in their performance. We have taken two other elk with Hammer Hunters since, but they were hit perfect and dropped where they stood. Although this is a small sample of their effectiveness, I will try them again this season. By changing powders, i have increased my velocities and it is reflected in the terminal performance. So far, I see nothing to dispute the claims of this manufacturer.

I admit I was the biggest skeptic of the Hammer bullets when I started reading about them and had used Barnes bullets for the past 20 years with great success. So knowing the only way to prove them good or bad was to to try them on my annual elk hunt. I got hammer Absolutes tuned in one rifle and Hammer Hunters in another - both 280 AI's. Turns out, my friend had scope issues so he borrowed my back up. We both took elk and I would say shot placement was not the best on both. But neither animal took another step after being struck and a quick follow up shot was needed. The distance on both animals was close to 400 yds. I'm not sure another bullet would have immobilized both animals as the Hammers did, but I am beginning to be a believer in their performance. We have taken two other elk with Hammer Hunters since, but they were hit perfect and dropped where they stood. Although this is a small sample of their effectiveness, I will try them again this season. By changing powders, i have increased my velocities and it is reflected in the terminal performance. So far, I see nothing to dispute the claims of this manufacturer.
Thank you. Your comment means a lot. You are correct, we learn more from poor hits. Marginal impacts that result in quick recoveries is what sets great bullets apart from the rest.

1st year I switched to hammer Hunter bullets I shot 16 deer. Three bucks and 13 does plus three coyotes. 90% of the deer dropped in their tracks. Only ones to run made it less than thirty yards. Those were hit a little back. Bucks chasing does don't always present the best profile. All three coyotes never even twitched. Don't send hate mail about the number of deer killed. We were helping a farmer with a infestation. And all the deer went to needy people.

My brother and I shot a few wild hogs with Hammer bullets.He called them Thor bullets so I called them Thor bullets.I learned the real name after his death as his son sent me the box with a few bullets left inside and sure enough it was Hammer Hunter 52 gr bullets!
I never would have thought a 52 gr 223 would be a great hog round but post mortem showed it was a Great hog round!
Now I load several rounds with Hammers.

I was the biggest hater of Barnes bullets, I did not see the performance expected on deer here in TX, my experience only not saying they don't work for other folks. I switched to hammer hunters, what a change! I've shot multiple whitetail and have yet to track any! Shot a Nilgai this year with a 180 gr HH, didn't take a step! I'm a believer, you'll love them, accurate and easy to load, also, email the hammer guys with questions and they actually get back to you.
Good luck,
H

405 Shock Hammers are a touch heavy for the 45-70, they work but at 1800 fps at the muzzle the velocity is low enough that the petals don't shed.

View attachment 472553

I've used the hammers for the past few years and killed everything I've shot with them.
What was the distance on the shots with the two bullets shown? I would like to figure impact velocity.

Thanks
Dave

I hunt/shoot with a few different bullets every year with my 2 cartridges (.280AI and 7-08) and started with Hammers in the mix last year. Hammer by far the easiest to load develop. Steve and company 5 star. Sounds like I'm a fan boy but I'm only giving credit where due. I will continue to shoot a few different bullets each year like I have for many years and Hammer will always be one of them. Fast, consistent, and accurate.

Sometimes you just try something and it actually works as described by fans. There always seems to be a "but" inserted in actual performance, however, I haven't found it yet. BC can be a factor for the ELR folks, but that's really not my thing.
I agree with this comment wholeheartedly. BC for ELR might not be the best but there are different tools for different jobs for a reason. I limit my shots to keep impact velocity to 2000 fps and no issues so far. Not preaching you have to, this is what I do, and I'm Ok with the limitations it brings.
H

30D89ACE-DE1C-4F23-86D5-AC7912861693_1_201_a.jpeg
This is a sub moa group at 1020 300PRC 199grain HH
Accuracy kills.
BC numbers be damed.
Dialing is dialing and was running very similarly to the factory 212 FWIW

Last year's load for my 300wm was 166gn HH being pushed by 77.7 gn VV 560. In the 24" 1/10 barrel they were moving at 3208 fps and I was getting groups between .75 moa and .48 moa. This year I have a new 26" 1/9 Brux on the gun, so I'm working up a load with a heavier bullet (205 gn Berger EH and Retumbo). I still had 10 of the HH loads left. They chamber fine, so I checked them in the new barrel.

Chrono at 3240 fps (3 shot average), no signs of pressure

3 shot 100 yd group (Yes, only 3, but I wasn't there to play with these rounds anyway)

Images don't seem to be working well for me today, but the 3 shots measured .486"

Attachments

• HH166 VV77.7 300wm 100yd.JPG
    HH166 VV77.7 300wm 100yd.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 26
View attachment 474715
This is a sub moa group at 1020 300PRC 199grain HH
Accuracy kills.
BC numbers be damed.
Dialing is dialing and was running very similarly to the factory 212 FWIW
Are there any ranges in the Adirondacks to shoot long range? There is one in the Catskills I have been to but was wondering if there was one closer.