Hammer bullets

I thought @RockyMtnMT sent me an empty box in the mail this week 😂 Nope, just the cutest little Hammers I've ever seen!

31gn .204s, next to a 350gn 8.6 Makers REX.

IMG_0023.jpg

Yes please update us. That will be an awesome test for them
Hammer Hunter 124 gr performed outstanding out of the 25-06, 220 yards. Dropped where it stood. Those wounds are from the petals! The shank left a quarter-sized hole!

Attachments

• IMG_2508.jpeg
    IMG_2508.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 72
  • IMG_2510.jpeg
    IMG_2510.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 65
Last edited:
I use Hammer Hunter 124 grain in my 6.5 CM with a 1 in 8 twist barrel at 3080 fps. And I really like them. But I also have a 270 WSM I'm taking elk hunting with which I have used Winchester 140 grain Barnes TTSX bullets. The gun shoots better than 1 moa at 500 yards (off a bench). I have decided this year to load rounds instead and wanted to use 140 grain Hammer Hunters but Hammer says the heaviest I can use is 124 grain Hammer Hunters because my gun has a 1 in 10 twist barrel.

Can somebody please tell me (in plain English as I am not physics major) why the Hunters 140's can't be stabled when the Barnes can.

And if any of you have used the 140's in a 1/10 twist let me know.

Anyone using hammer bullets for deer? Just curious if they are to tough for whitetail?
Nah, you can sucker punch a deer at any velocity over 1800 fps (maybe less) with pretty much any of them and it'll do the TKO. The 124 gr 6.5's have been incredible for us on deer. "Get em light and get 'em movin, cuz dats wat dey like"

Last edited:
I use Hammer Hunter 124 grain in my 6.5 CM with a 1 in 8 twist barrel at 3080 fps. And I really like them. But I also have a 270 WSM I'm taking elk hunting with which I have used Winchester 140 grain Barnes TTSX bullets. The gun shoots better than 1 moa at 500 yards (off a bench). I have decided this year to load rounds instead and wanted to use 140 grain Hammer Hunters but Hammer says the heaviest I can use is 124 grain Hammer Hunters because my gun has a 1 in 10 twist barrel.

Can somebody please tell me (in plain English as I am not physics major) why the Hunters 140's can't be stabled when the Barnes can.

Think I'd run the new 122 gr HHT.

Think I'd run the new 122 gr HHT.

Thanks. I hadn't looked at them because they are awfully small for elk. But I might try them.

It's simple and all about stabilizing a mono that has different properties. Forget what you've experienced with other projectiles, Hammers are different. Great example, 550+ lb Nilgai at 480 yds with a Weatherby 270 mag running the 117 Hammer Hunters. Shot through both shoulders and stoned him. They're different and quite simply the best hunting bullet made.

Last edited:
It's simple and all about stabilizing a mono that has different properties. Forget what you've experienced with other projectiles, Hammers are different. Great example, 550+ lb Nilgai at 480 yds with a Weatherby 270 mag running the 117 Hammer Hunters. Shot through both shoulders and stoned him. They're different and quite simply the best hunting bullet made.
Thanks Window. What was your velocity?

Thanks. I hadn't looked at them because they are awfully small for elk. But I might try them.
Yeah, they be small, but they hit big. No worries on elk. Just keep your hits above 1800 fps & it'll do the job handily. I haven't got to that particular projo yet in the .277, so if you try them, I'd love to have a report of your development process and the final results in the WSM.

To get "dropped in their tracks" performance out of the Hammers, where are you guys hitting them (deer specifically)? I notice in the majority of conversations about bullet effectiveness, that very important factor is often left out.

I'm planning to whitetail hunt on my 6 wooded acres this season and have zero desire to ask my neighbors if it's cool if I track a wounded deer across their property. My current plan for my 13 year old son and I was to high shoulder shoot them. Him with his 20" 6.5 CM and me with my 6.5 PRC, both using a 147gr ELD-M.

If I get the time to see which single bullet and powder will work for both cartridges, am I still going with the high shoulder shot, or does the speed and fracturing of the bullet mean I can heart/lung them and have a 90%+ chance they'll go less than 30 yards?

30-50 yard shots out of a tree stand.

To get "dropped in their tracks" performance out of the Hammers, where are you guys hitting them (deer specifically)? I notice in the majority of conversations about bullet effectiveness, that very important factor is often left out.

I'm planning to whitetail hunt on my 6 wooded acres this season and have zero desire to ask my neighbors if it's cool if I track a wounded deer across their property. My current plan for my 13 year old son and I was to high shoulder shoot them. Him with his 20" 6.5 CM and me with my 6.5 PRC, both using a 147gr ELD-M.

If I get the time to see which single bullet and powder will work for both cartridges, am I still going with the high shoulder shot, or does the speed and fracturing of the bullet mean I can heart/lung them and have a 90%+ chance they'll go less than 30 yards?

30-50 yard shots out of a tree stand.
We always shoot in the crease. Our goal is no meat damage. Don't mind a short tracking job, but the majority are DRT.

Recent Posts