Hammer bullets?

coop2564

Question. Does anyone know the weight design of the shank portion of 6.5 bullets in HH line, that is left after petal split off?

I'm guessing this would vary per bullet weight...but does it? Maybe the shank is same and weight difference is in front end of bullet that splits off?

Reason I'm asking, my AR 6.5G shoots the 85gr HH @2865 in one hole almost every shot. Crazy how good that bullet shoots in my gun with TAC and its very flat. With a 2" high 100yd zero I'm only 5" low at 300yd and it .7 moa or better over 2 grs of powder. I cant make this load shoot bad, no weather or temp condition has changed its ability to group this well either. I've tried the 99gr and its good but not this good. 124gr is just about 1 moa on avg but I have got .5 moa but not as consistent. And not as flat.

Where I'm going with this is penetration of shank in hogs and deer size animals? How much weight difference is there in that shank after the petals separate. Hogs are tough and fatty and having a exit will be import if they don't drop on shot. I found 1 video on 85 shooting gel, penetration was 28" in gel but they didn't weigh the shaft. But just curious on how that weight of the shank might vary between 85,99,124 and effect overall penetration?

Hogs hate 90gr God dot bullets from a 6.8spc, they used to have 80 and 85 gr bullets that worked well too--- and those were all cup/core/bonded bullets.

Any hammer hunter bullet from a 6.5g will kill hogs just fine if ya shoot them just behind the ear like you are supposed to.

Last edited:
Shank portion will weigh about 65 grains. And penetrated will not be a problem. I'm shooting the same bullet in a 24 inch bolt gun @ 3000 fps. Its devastating on deer, hogs, coyotes. Hammers guys wife killed a Golden wilderbeast with this bullet. That animal weighs about 350 pounds.

Hogs hate 90gr God dot bullets from a 6.8spc, they used to have 80 and 85 gr bullets that worked well too--- and those were all cup/core bullets.

Any hammer hunter bullet from a 6.5g will kill hogs just fine if ya shoot them just behind the ear like you are supposed to.
We are under eradication dictates from our lease land owner. Kill ever hogs possible, so shooting behind ear is not always going to be a option. Body shots will be necessary at times. That's why Im concerned about the penetration. The land owner and his son kill them and leave them. I intend to eat them so I want to find them after shot. We killed a total of 132 last year and there are more this year than last. They just breed and breed.

Attachments

• hogs.jpg
    hogs.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 48
We are under eradication dictates from our lease land owner. Kill ever hogs possible, so shooting behind ear is not always going to be a option. Body shots will be necessary at times. That's why Im concerned about the penetration. The land owner and his son kill them and leave them. I intend to eat them so I want to find them after shot. We killed a total of 132 last year and there are more this year than last. They just breed and breed.
Sounds like you could use some help shooting hogs...? I know a guy that could help after Christmas ;-)

Rosebud is spot on there. A friend has about 900 acres bordered by a place that sells hog hunts. We always tried to drop the gate on the whole sounder, not just a few straglers. I don't think I could afford to buy ammo or components to kill the 200+ we can trap each year. Then just a 22lr in the earhole does the rest. Trying to shoot them away is like sending arms and ammo to Ukraine. Not much to gain in the long run. Don't get me wrong, we never turn down the opprtunity to shhot one or more, but its not a winning strategy.

You will never kill them off shooting them. Want to get rid of them start using a drop trap. Then you can kill them at your leisure with a 22LR.
Well traps doesn't work well either. We have 3 traps. They worked well 1st year at times and then the ones not caught but were close when others got caught stopped coming anywhere near near and taught that to the young. The land owner said first year they caught 200 roughly and now its down to less than 50 per year. They eat corn to wire and will not go in. The land owners son uses dogs also but again its a low numbers take over the year...although fun. 132 last year included traps. He he has not used a drop trap yet though. Just wire traps.

Last edited:
Well traps doesn't work well either. We have 3 traps. They worked well 1st year at times and then the ones not caught but were close when others got caught stopped coming anywhere near near and taught that to the young. The land owner said first year they caught 200 roughly and now its down to less than 50 per year. They eat corn to wire and will not go in. The land owners son uses dogs also but again its a low numbers take over the year...although fun. 132 last year included traps. He he has not used a drop trap yet though. Just wire traps.
Traps have to be moved every third day. They aren't stupid. move to new area, bait it up when they are coming in, set the trap. Its hard work to cut back to a level you can live with. As long as your neighbor has them , you will have them.

Your putting wayyy too much thought into this
Yes. Just shoot more. If one or two get lost to being gut shot you should have 10 more on the ground already to pick from. The little ones eat better and die easier anyways.

Sounds like you need a big group with thermals to put the hurt on Miss Piggy and her kids.

@Zen Archery has a lot of experience on the Hammer in an AR platform. Hopefully he can answer your questions.
Only thing for me to add is speed is your friend on this bullet and other monos. I doubt you'll find much or any part of a Hammer in critters of this size. Hogs are pretty tough but, this bullet has been doing well on them.

Sounds like you could use some help shooting hogs...? I know a guy that could help after Christmas ;-)
I am with Quintus. You need more peole with boomsticks. Depending where your place is, I could volunteer to shoot a few nights. You can KEEP all I kill.