Hammer Bullets

Thanks fellas. Got a 1:10 on my 25/06 AI, the hammers I wanted to try are recommended for a faster twist. Not sure I wanna lighten up that much.
Suggest you go to the Hammer Bullet Load Data thread and look at the info there. It's at post #2. You will be amazed. Now these are all the Absolute Hammers. Regular Hammer Hunters or Shock Hammers follow more conventional powder loadings and use standard powder burn rates.

Suggest you go to the Hammer Bullet Load Data thread and look at the info there. It's at post #2. You will be amazed. Now these are all the Absolute Hammers. Regular Hammer Hunters or Shock Hammers follow more conventional powder loadings and use standard powder burn rates.
Looked it up. WOW! Butterbean is my hero! Lol That's impressive indeed.

10.25 twist would not stabilize the 181s in .308. May be a little better at higher elevation, but would not risk being marginal at this point anymore. Definitely look to overspin if anything.

What you are reading is with respect to the newest hammer bullet design, the Absolute Hammer.

The Hammer hunter and Shock hammer are a more conventional design, and behave more like bullets of like weight

The reason the Absolute behaves differently is that the nose is a little smaller in diameter. As a result, it doesn't engrave on the rifling - only the 'pdr' drive bands do. This novel design significantly reduces engraving pressure on ignition and bearing surface as the bullet travels down the barrel. As a result, under the right conditions, higher speeds can be obtained.
I agree with this but all hammers load differently, the have there own set of rules, With that being said load development is simple

I agree with this but all hammers load differently, the have there own set of rules, With that being said load development is simple
Seems like they prefer faster powders for bullet weight from what I'm reading. If this is the case, how did you determine which powders? If they act differently than published data is there a trick to powder selection?

Seems like they prefer faster powders for bullet weight from what I'm reading. If this is the case, how did you determine which powders? If they act differently than published data is there a trick to powder selection?
The AH do need a faster powder, If your loading 115g look at the 100g data, 100g-85g and so on, If your loading the HH look at the book max for what ever your loading drop down one grain and work up from there until you find pressure, drop 1/2 grain and let it eat

The AH do need a faster powder, If your loading 115g look at the 100g data, 100g-85g and so on, If your loading the HH look at the book max for what ever your loading drop down one grain and work up from there until you find pressure, drop 1/2 grain and let it eat
Gotcha. Thanks!

Absolutes require experimentation.
Get a copy of the powder burn rate chart. For regular Hammers, start with recommended powders for a given wt bullet. If you don't get desired speed, go to a faster powder by a couple of speeds. Work up again.til you find the sweet spot.

For Absolutes, refer to the Absolute load charts on post #2. A bunch of us have done most of the leg work for you. A bunch of powder has been burned in the learning curve!

Another thing: Absolutes do not seat like traditional bullets. You will not measure base to ogive, because these bullets do not engage/touch the rifling like traditionally shaped bullets. Seat bullets at or near the base of the neck and measure the Overall Length. This is your reference. No chasing the lands with these bullets!

Part of the secret to this design is vastly reduced engraving pressure. That's why it takes MUCH faster powders to achieve velocity. Also why these bullets average 200-300 fps faster than normal. Also why these bullets require more neck tension and some add neck crimping. All of this helps hold the bullet while pressure is being developed to speed the bullet down the barrel.

These factors are why Steve recommends only accomplished handloaders should load Absolutes. They are truly a step change in bullet design. As Butterbean says, they are in a league all their own.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.