Hammer bullets

I ran the 85gr HH at 3,700 fps from a 26" Browning Creedmoor.
What powder are you using? I went with W748....which works fine at 30 degrees, gets a bit sticky bolt at 60 degrees, and you won't find me firing one of those over 60 degrees....

I've got some StaBall Match that I'm wanting to test in that rifle if I have time....

Hammers work amazing on deer. I've personally shot or have seen a total of 8 deer now taken with a hammer bullet. Fired from a 22-250 to a 7 mag and they do one thing and thats ruin everything between the ribs and save the meat.
I didn't believe it that hammers won't ruin meat but after witnessing it you can eat literally everything. The wounds through the meat look similar to a broad head like it's cut not a mangled mess like a cup n core.
The faster you run a hammer the more impressed you'll be.
They penetrate well too I witnessed a 35gr hammer almost penetrate a deer lengthwise at 300 yards with an impact velocity of 2800 fps. It stopped on the back ham bone or I believe it would've went through.

Last edited:
Holy crap batman. That makes me wanna try it!

Without reciting my load, I used Lapua cases, CCI 450 SRP and Varget. I started quite a bit lower and crept up slowly because I kept feeling that I'd max out any second. Oddly enough, at 3,700 fps (in my 26" bbl) I still didn't experience any of the typical signs of excess pressure. But, as Clint Eastwood said, "a man must know his limitations". So I quite escalating right there. LOL

Without reciting my load, I used Lapua cases, CCI 450 SRP and Varget. I started quite a bit lower and crept up slowly because I kept feeling that I'd max out any second. Oddly enough, at 3,700 fps (in my 26" bbl) I still didn't experience any of the typical signs of excess pressure. But, as Clint Eastwood said, "a man must know his limitations". So I quite escalating right there. LOL
Thats how I felt when I was launching 140s north of 3000 fps with rl26. Never hit pressure but it made me nervous so I stopped before I got into trouble

Nice new fad. Just remember the great lead hoax. In California you may not use lead. Death by a thousand cuts. Anti-gun Democrats love copper bullets...for now.
I wouldn't call it a fad, I'd call it results. For flat out killing with predictable results it's called the truth. I primarily hunt with overbore cartridges (Weatherby's exclusively) and had failures with cup and core bullets. Sierra, Berger and Nosler (both partitions and accubdonds). Years ago I switched to Barnes and loved them and would still be running them if not for Hammers. I saw a lot of people talking about them on this forum and decided to give them a try in a 270 Weatherby and a 30-378. I called Steve and he gave recommendations on the powder I had available and the rest was history for me. My range is only 800 yards, but they shot better that range than any bullet I'd every shot. Now five years later and ton of deer and elk, with perfect results,I'm a believer and it's the only bullet I'll load for hunting, period.

I had a bad experience with Barnes solid copper bullets penciling on deer. That's the reason I'm a little nervous about solids.
Hmm haven't had that experience with the Barnes. Been shooting them over 15 years & killed many animals, always quickly & cleanly. Never a problem. tried hammers and couldn't get decent accuracy from them. The Barnes even shot better than the CX I tried in a couple calibers. They're not target bullets, but are the best hunting bullets I've tried.

I wouldn't call it a fad, I'd call it results. For flat out killing with predictable results it's called the truth. I primarily hunt with overbore cartridges (Weatherby's exclusively) and had failures with cup and core bullets. Sierra, Berger and Nosler (both partitions and accubdonds). Years ago I switched to Barnes and loved them and would still be running them if not for Hammers. I saw a lot of people talking about them on this forum and decided to give them a try in a 270 Weatherby and a 30-378. I called Steve and he gave recommendations on the powder I had available and the rest was history for me. My range is only 800 yards, but they shot better that range than any bullet I'd every shot. Now five years later and ton of deer and elk, with perfect results,I'm a believer and it's the only bullet I'll load for hunting, period.
Pure lead bullets have been killing big game for centuries. Variants of copper have been around for a century. Pick what you like. If some special group of people don't want you shooting or hunting then no projectile will be safe.
Even if we don't agree on which vehicle to buy stay united in the fight to enjoy our sport.

Pure lead bullets have been killing big game for centuries. Variants of copper have been around for a century. Pick what you like. If some special group of people don't want you shooting or hunting then no projectile will be safe.
Even if we don't agree on which vehicle to buy stay united in the fight to enjoy our sport.
Bullet choice should have nothing to do with staying in the fight to enjoy our sport. How you vote does. Those who don't vote are the biggest problem.

I didn't switch to hammer bullets because cup and core bullets didn't work. It's because hammers are better. I hunted with Berger bullets before switching to hammer hunters. Berger dropped off the planet, Hammer will ship the next day. AND, Their better.

Listen, I'm not trying to persuade anyone to change what they're shooting, an to your point lead bullets will do the job from pellets to all caliber cast rounds. I probably have lead poisoning from all the years I held pellets in my mouth like a lip full of Copenhagen when I was a kid. Not to sound like a psycho, but killing animals to eat was not for fun but was put food on the table. Times have thankfully changed and I've shot them all over the past forty years. As far as a do all hunting bullet, Hammers are the best. There are copper and lead core bullets that have a higher BC, but for flat out killing game and putting meat on the table, I'll keep shooting Hammers. I've got no dog in the fight and I've got nearly every caliber of Hammers on hand as I load for ton of buddies. If you'd like to give them a shot, I'll be happy to send you some. Send me a PM. As for the trucks, I'll only drive a GM and most importantly, we absolutely will stay united!