Hammer Bullets: Worth the Hype?

Not sure they are worth the 'hype' but to me they are worth the money. Easy to tune, good wound channels with a small diameter of deep tissue bruising, and always available. There are a lot of bullets that kill just as well and a lot of bullets that will manage a better BC if that is a concern for your application. What I really appreciate about the Hammers besides the ease of load development is they have shown VERY consistent terminal performance across a fairly wide range of calibers, bullet weights, and impact velocities. I have not been overwhelmed or underwhelmed by tissue damage or seen anything but a straight wound track yet.

I shoot them in all my 6.5's. Short answer yes they are worth it. Yes they are a few buck each but let's be honest nobody complains about the $3.50 beers they drank 4 of same night of hunt. Or the list of others things not needed. Would I target shoot them nope but for hunting even if they were $5 more per bullet and you shot 5 deer that's still not a ton of money. As for crimp I crimp every semi auto but don't crimp my bolt action stuff.

YOU will find hammers are very easy too load for , they are worth the hype, you need too understand how they perform on game too get the full potential from what caliber and bullet you choose and the type of game hunted . Bullet placement is key to their performance , there is a lot of info on this forum in favor of hammers and their some naysayers like with anything . You will not beat the customer service. Good luck

IMG_2381.gif

All depends on your expectations!! If you go into it thinking they are some miracle bullet then you'll be disappointed. But usually load work up is quick and easy and they perform well without random what happened moments. They are predictable and function well. If I wasn't required to shoot lead free I wouldn't but that's only because I'm an accuracy snob and I can usually get bergers to group better than anything else. Attached picture was a fire forming load in my 6.5ss first time loading an absolute and just a wild guess for load data. Will be an easy one to tune for sure.

Attachments

• Ballistic-X-Export-2023-11-25 10:27:32.034120.jpg
    Ballistic-X-Export-2023-11-25 10:27:32.034120.jpg
    201.2 KB · Views: 73
I've shot 4 deer with my 25-06 using 90gr Absolute Hammers going over 3600 fps at the muzzle….and 1 deer with my 6.5Cm using 85gr Hammer Hunters going just over 3400 fps at the muzzle. One bang/flop/zero twitch and the other 4 never made it past 40 yards. The one deer I deboned in the field had a hole through the far side shoulder with zero bloodshot meat….quite literally eat up to the hole…which is what I did.

Terminal performance has been stellar for me in the field.

A week ago I did a load development ladder on my new 270 WSM XBolt using 122gr HHT Hammers. 4 cleaning/warmup shots, 5 more rounds in 1% powder increments to find signs of pressure, backed down 2% and fired 2 more rounds to check group size. 11 rounds total to get a 0.4" group found. Those are 1/2" squares:

IMG_2011.png