Hammer Bullets: Worth the Hype?

If you're hunting whitetail, I highly recomend using 140 eldms. Most 6.5 creeds shoot extremely well with factory hornady ammo too. When reloading, even better.

For deer sized game I am all about using explosive bullets. Explosive, or frangible non-bonded thin jacketed cup and core bullets leave massive wound channels. These massive wound channels help make up for less than ideal shots. If all of our shots were perfect then non-expanding bullets would be perfect. The reality is, not all shots are perfect.

Where I hunt whitetail deer in south texas, having deer run farther than 20-30 yards is terrible. Thick brush and cactus where you have to crawl through parts to find your animal is not much fun. Myself, along with family members have had much better luck with frangible bullets than partitions, eldxs, and solid copper bullets.
Yeah, and in that 30 yards ya gotta crawl over 2 or 3 rattlers and apologize for waking them.....In S. Tx brush a cannon is just fine w me. Kill, gut, filet all in 1

Not for me but I've really never had an issue killing game with what I have.
I used to throw round rocks. Then I started using flat rocks because I could curve them in for a better shot angle. Then momma made me start throwing left handed because I was tearing up too much meat. That's been a bummer because the vapor trail is much smaller when I throw left handed.😏

Yeah, and in that 30 yards ya gotta crawl over 2 or 3 rattlers and apologize for waking them.....In S. Tx brush a cannon is just fine w me. Kill, gut, filet all in 1
Amen to that! A lot of people don't know the struggle of not being able to watch your game run off in clear-ish terrain. I'll take the loss of a few pounds of meat to have my deer fall faster or lose them in the thick stuff. Heck even if you did have a perfect blood trail it's still hard to track them in thick black brush.

Amen to that! A lot of people don't know the struggle of not being able to watch your game run off in clear-ish terrain. I'll take the loss of a few pounds of meat to have my deer fall faster or lose them in the thick stuff. Heck even if you did have a perfect blood trail it's still hard to track them in thick black brush.
Same with where I hunt. When I shoot I want the hunt to be over, not have a new hunt in hellacious terrain start. I shoot what I think gives me absolutely the best opportunity to end the hunt and not be crawling through briars three ours later. I'm glad at least most of us are free to use what we want.

Last edited:
I use eldm's in 6.5 Grendel 123s, 140s and 147s in the 6.5-06. They do a very good job and kill fast. I have one 308 that won't shoot the eldm well and it gets Amax's. Every once in a while I may use a 150 accubond in my other 308.

I use eldm's in 6.5 Grendel 123s, 140s and 147s in the 6.5-06. They do a very good job and kill fast. I have one 308 that won't shoot the eldm well and it gets Amax's. Every once in a while I may use a 150 accubond in my other 308.
Nice! A buddy has a 308 and his loves the a maxs, but can't get the eldms to shoot good either. The amax's seem to act like the eldms from the little bit of experience I have with them. I've used the 140s in 6.5 cms, 108s in a 6cm, 225 eldms in a 30 Sherman mag. I have the 147s ready to go for my 6.5prc this year but haven't gotten a shot on game yet.

Nice! A buddy has a 308 and his loves the a maxs, but can't get the eldms to shoot good either. The amax's seem to act like the eldms from the little bit of experience I have with them. I've used the 140s in 6.5 cms, 108s in a 6cm, 225 eldms in a 30 Sherman mag. I have the 147s ready to go for my 6.5prc this year but haven't gotten a shot on game yet.
I shot a doe with a 140 eldm at 2990 fps last week. I'll pm you a couple of pics but you've likely seen what it can do. I'm also working with a 147 grain load at 3016 with H1000.
My AR 10 just will not shoot the Amax. The Amax if anything is a bit more explosive than the eldm but does very well with lower velocity, longer range. It does a lot of damage

If the bullets you are using aren't doing the job then hammers are worth considering. I'm not a huge fan of fragmenting bullets so for me Barnes and Badlands are the better choice. For fragmenting monos hammers and cutting edge

I shot a few deer with them had good results and then tried the controlled chaos bullets and if you're not into saving meat go with the chaos. most devastating bullet I ever shot. I judge a bullet by the amount of damage it does. The more the better.