Hammer Bullets: Worth the Hype?

I don't think so

Not that they are bad, but I don't think they are worth 2x the cost of a normal cup and core especially from a short barreled 6.5 creed. Where you're having to drop down to a really light bullet to get velocity decent.

Idk I don't personally get the crazy for super light coppers at a million miles an hour for 95% of hunting applications. But if you want mpbr I guess it works.

I shoot a 130tmk from my 16" creed at 2600

I load a 70 grain sledge? Hammer in my brother in laws 243 and when they run out I'll just start loading 90gr eldx

how much of the deer do you lose with a high velocity frangible? I've seen elk hit with two partitions that destroyed almost 1/2 of the elk. to recover only 85 lbs of edible meat from a bull elk is not what I'm after in a bullet.
Hit them behind the shoulder and you don't lose much.
Not sure where the elk were hit but it doesn't sound like good behind the shoulder shots and I really don't consider partitions as highly fragile bullets.
To the OP I have only worked up 1 load with hammer's and it was easy peasy but haven't used on game. As others mentioned just buy 50 and give 'em a go.

how much of the deer do you lose with a high velocity frangible? I've seen elk hit with two partitions that destroyed almost 1/2 of the elk. to recover only 85 lbs of edible meat from a bull elk is not what I'm after in a bullet.
I need to hear more of the story! Half an elk was destroyed? Unless he ham blasted it…twice then I I'd love to hear how this is possible when 1 ham weighs more than both shoulders combined (plus backstraps, tenders, neck, trim)

I need to hear more of the story! Half an elk was destroyed? Unless he ham blasted it…twice then I I'd love to hear how this is possible when 1 ham weighs more than both shoulders combined (plus backstraps, tenders, neck, trim)
Yeah I'd like to hear that story too. I've shot a mulie with a 180 PT. DRT with minimal meat damage. Besides only the frontal half of a Partition could even be considered frangible. The rear section would act like a solid wadcutter .

Been thinking about trying some 80-90 grain .264 bullets in 6.5 Creedmoor for hunting whitetail in a 16.5" barrel suppressed Tikka.

Are Hammer bullets worth the hype? I see in threads people ask about crimping them?

The light Hammers make for some interesting performance from the 6.5 Creed. I was shooting the 80HH at 3,700fps from a 26" Browning bbl. The deer I took with a Hammer/ Creed combo were with their 124HH. The 124HH will shoot through a deer from the brisket to the tail.

As far as crimping Hammer bullets goes - I'm one of the guys who has had better accuracy and uniformity by not crimping. A few loads seem to benefit by a crimp while many others did not. I'd suggest finding a good load and see if it can be improved by crimping. If not, why introduce another variable.

BTW - some guys crimp on the crest of the curve while others prefer to crimp in the valley. Some like a light crimp while others prefer something a bit more tangible. Crimping on Hammer bullets can be achieved many different ways and different crimps usually have different outcomes on paper.

Either way - I find that all new bullets are worth a try. I shoot and hunt with several different bullets and the Hammers are among them. Overall, I find them to be an excellent hunting bullet and I'll be working with a few of their newer HHT bullets this spring.

Hit them behind the shoulder and you don't lose much.
Not sure where the elk were hit but it doesn't sound like good behind the shoulder shots and I really don't consider partitions as highly fragile bullets.
To the OP I have only worked up 1 load with hammer's and it was easy peasy but haven't used on game. As others mentioned just buy 50 and give 'em a go.
From what I saw at the skinning shed, the first shot went through the near side ham and got into the far side backstrap. Jello was present throughout the ham and 75% had to be tossed. As the bull spun around, the second shot went thru the center of the near front shoulder turning most of it into jello and got into both tenderloins. The bullets used were 180 gr partitions from a 300 win mag. I didn't ask if they were handloads or factories. I've had 140 partitions from a 284 win literally disintergrate inside a mouflon ram as I found numerous 3 to 7 grain pieces throughout the body cavity. Most pieces were just slivers of copper but there were some copper lead fragments too. From then on I've used strictly monos on game. I know these were horrible shots, but had the person been using Hammers, perhaps a second shot on the bull would not have been necessary.

From what I saw at the skinning shed, the first shot went through the near side ham and got into the far side backstrap. Jello was present throughout the ham and 75% had to be tossed. As the bull spun around, the second shot went thru the center of the near front shoulder turning most of it into jello and got into both tenderloins. The bullets used were 180 gr partitions from a 300 win mag. I didn't ask if they were handloads or factories. I've had 140 partitions from a 284 win literally disintergrate inside a mouflon ram as I found numerous 3 to 7 grain pieces throughout the body cavity. Most pieces were just slivers of copper but there were some copper lead fragments too. From then on I've used strictly monos on game. I know these were horrible shots, but had the person been using Hammers, perhaps a second shot on the bull would not have been necessary.
I gave up on Partitions while living in Wyoming and using them on elk. Too much meat is damaged. I started using Swift A-Frames when they came out and that problem was solved.