Hammer Bullets: Worth the Hype?

Been thinking about trying some 80-90 grain .264 bullets in 6.5 Creedmoor for hunting whitetail in a 16.5" barrel suppressed Tikka.

Are Hammer bullets worth the hype? I see in threads people ask about crimping them?
two years ago I took an elk and my friend shot one with my backup rifle. Both shot placements were not ideal, but both animals were immobilized and a quick follow up shot ended things. I believe the Hammer bullets used helped to anchor the animals as the autopsy showed a petal in each case did their job. I also use Barnes TTSX and LRX bullets a lot and they provide a very good wound channel from start to finish. But they only provide a single wound channel vs 5 with the Hammer. It is however much larger than the ones provided by the Hammer. As to crimping, I found with the 280 AI that a very slight crimp enhances my accuracy by maybe 20 to 25%. Also it keeps the bullet firmly in place.

If you're hunting whitetail, I highly recomend using 140 eldms. Most 6.5 creeds shoot extremely well with factory hornady ammo too. When reloading, even better.

For deer sized game I am all about using explosive bullets. Explosive, or frangible non-bonded thin jacketed cup and core bullets leave massive wound channels. These massive wound channels help make up for less than ideal shots. If all of our shots were perfect then non-expanding bullets would be perfect. The reality is, not all shots are perfect.

Where I hunt whitetail deer in south texas, having deer run farther than 20-30 yards is terrible. Thick brush and cactus where you have to crawl through parts to find your animal is not much fun. Myself, along with family members have had much better luck with frangible bullets than partitions, eldxs, and solid copper bullets.

They work fine. They're not anything particularly unique. If you want/need to use lead free or monos they're more or less the same as what Cutting Edge and Maker's offer. They're the only ones I've found making a 140 class 6.5 mono bullet that'll stabilize in an 8 twist barrel. I haven't found them particularly easy to load. Finicky guns are still finicky with hammers. I haven't tried them in any of my guns that seem to shoot anything well because they're not the first brand I try. If you're not looking for a lead free or mono bullet there's a plethora of options that kill and shoot just as well for half the price.

two years ago I took an elk and my friend shot one with my backup rifle. Both shot placements were not ideal, but both animals were immobilized and a quick follow up shot ended things. I believe the Hammer bullets used helped to anchor the animals as the autopsy showed a petal in each case did their job. I also use Barnes TTSX and LRX bullets a lot and they provide a very good wound channel from start to finish. But they only provide a single wound channel vs 5 with the Hammer. It is however much larger than the ones provided by the Hammer. As to crimping, I found with the 280 AI that a very slight crimp enhances my accuracy by maybe 20 to 25%. Also it keeps the bullet firmly in place.

Side note, I've seen it often times before where the TSX/TTSX lost one or all 4 of the petals as well. In the case when they lost all 4 you effectively had a wadcutter pushing thru which annoyed most users....

Recent Posts