Hammer bullets shoot!!!

So do you really proud of yourself. I'm not talking ---- about you "deviant". I'm just saying they didn't shoot for. Excuse me for posting my results. I'm not asking for your help or your approval.
I'm not offering either one. I just don't think you should post negative comments about a good product after only shooting 7 rounds.

Seriously? You're saying that when the detailed descriptions plainly state, "bullet weight is xxx grains" that isn't necessarily true? Keeping a name is one thing but descriptions should be factual if you expect customers to trust you. I'm shocked!

Any other errors in the descriptions that were should know about?
I'm am sorry for the error. We'll remedy it as time allows. In all honesty I did not think 2g was a big deal. Awful lot of bullets on the market vary that much within one box. Thus the reason folks spend so much time weight sorting.

Setting up more equipment and getting it running over the next few weeks and should free up some time for house keeping.

7??? Really. You shot seven rounds and you're claiming they don't shoot. How many rounds did it take you to get the Berger's shooting in your rifle? I have never done load development for any rifle in just 7 rounds OCW or Ladder. They are not a magical unicorn bullet they still require propper load development to get them to shoot in your rifle.
Would you please point me to these unicorn bullets? I'd like to give them a try lol!

I'm am sorry for the error. We'll remedy it as time allows. In all honesty I did not think 2g was a big deal. Awful lot of bullets on the market vary that much within one box. Thus the reason folks spend so much time weight sorting.

Setting up more equipment and getting it running over the next few weeks and should free up some time for house keeping.
Wouldn't the important thing be that they weighed the same not necessarily what the box says?

For what it's worth it's a 1-8 twist.
Those 227g are a tough bullet being extremely long for caliber. Them seem to shoot well in some rifles while others can struggle. We are figuring out that when bullets get that long for caliber the Miller stability formula does not work well. It does not take into consideration density of bullet material. The increase of required twist rate does not act linear. It seems to be more of a progressively increasing need for twist. When we tested that bullet here at 4000' elevation from an 8" twist rum, they ran very well out to 1500y.

I would be happy to send you a box of 214g Hammer Hunters if you like.

Seriously? You're saying that when the detailed descriptions plainly state, "bullet weight is xxx grains" that isn't necessarily true? Keeping a name is one thing but descriptions should be factual if you expect customers to trust you. I'm shocked!

Any other errors in the descriptions that were should know about?
Little dramatic don't ya think? That's like saying I should be mad because my 4wheeler is a 549cc and not the 550 it's labeled. Don't think he meant to do anything underhanded. I think I read that the variance comes from a change in copper material used...to make them better...an upgrade.

........Any other errors in the descriptions that were should know about?..........

If you have a good micrometer, I think you'll find the Hammer's are dimensionally very good. Which yields bullets very consistent in weight.
Hammer's were developed in plain view on this site, the variation in listed weights is something that's been discussed, as has the changes in material, and hollow point. On occasion what is fairly common knowledge to some, it's found some one didn't get the memo, not some nefarious scheme.
I like the consistency in the Hammer's, some other bullets I've used have more than 2 grains variation in the box, and that average is above or below what's on the box.
The Hammer's have been the easiest to develop good loads with. Likely the consistency contributes to that.
When I started loading the various Hammer's I took the opportunity to clean up the powders I had, that only had little bits left in the canister. Meaning most wouldn't make the short list for what generally is considered ideal for a particular cartridge. My son in laws .270 we used a total of 12 rounds from start to meat on the ground.
The site is a work in progress, growing pains, with neither Steve or Brian being well versed in such things.
Steve is pretty accessible, and as in this case, works to end up with a satisfied customer.

Last edited:
Little dramatic don't ya think? That's like saying I should be mad because my 4wheeler is a 549cc and not the 550 it's labeled. Don't think he meant to do anything underhanded. I think I read that the variance comes from a change in copper material used...to make them better...an upgrade.
I have to agree with this. Sounds like the guy that ordered a foot long from subway then sued them because it was only 11.75" long.....

On another note, if someone expects load developement to be done and finalized in under 7 rounds every time, have consistent, excellent accuracy, low e.s. and in the velocity range they want, then give up on a bullet when it doesnt, that is simply their fault, as they are being somewhat unrealistic, and are in for a long road of disappointment. It can be done, but it is the exception, and usually involves a healthy dose of luck, certainly not the majority of cases.

If 25 to 30 rounds had been fired and a decent load was still not found in a proven rifle, a negative review/opinion of this type would be of more value to people, however someone stating they don't like a proven bullet and throwing in the towel after 7 rounds, simply gets overlooked as most people won't take that as useful information, because it isn't.

I'm not being negative. Not every bullet shoots in every gun, just like not every powder works for every gun. You can go down to cabelas and buy 4 boxes of shells and not every box will work for that gun. Anyone who's reloaded or shot guns for any length of time knows this. I would think Steven understands this. I'm not going to apologize for my comment. I'm not going to be misleading and I would think others would not want that either. Or at least I would hope others are not being misleading?
Hammer bullets work for some. People today get so butt hurt over the least little thing. But excuse me for knowing my gun and how its going to shoot. I don't care if people find my information useful. Just reporting how my gun shoot them. With all this crap am really regretting buying them now. I'm done here. Say what you want keyboard warriors.

If you have a good micrometer, I think you'll find the Hammer's are dimensionally very good. Which yields bullets very consistent in weight.
Hammer's were developed in plain view on this site, the variation in listed weights is something that's been discussed, as has the changes in material, and hollow point. On occasion what is fairly common knowledge to some, it's found some one didn't get the memo, not some nefarious scheme.
I like the consistency in the Hammer's, some other bullets I've used have more than 2 grains variation in the box, and that average is above or below what's on the box.
The Hammer's have been the easiest to develop good loads with. Likely the consistency contributes to that.
When I started loading the various Hammer's I took the opportunity to clean up the powders I had, that only had little bits left in the canister. Meaning most wouldn't make the short list for what generally is considered ideal for a particular cartridge. My son in laws .270 we used a total of 12 rounds from start to meat on the ground.
The site is a work in progress, growing pains, with neither Steve or Brian being well versed in such things.
Steve is pretty accessible, and as in this case, works to end up with a satisfied customer.
I strongly agree on consistency! I weighed 5 different bullet sizes using 5 randomly picked bullets from each box with difference being .10 grains at worst and the others being .02, .02, .08, .06 grains difference.....that's pretty consistent in my book. Some have taken me 20-30 rounds to develop a load with but this was for velocity purposes more than accuracy. All of these rifles are shooting .5" or less and the pic of the 3 shot group attached here was developed in one of my 25-06s with 9 shots! Hammers are definitely the easiest bullets to develop an accurate load that I've ever tried!

IMG_2939.jpg

Last edited:
FYI....I just weighed five 140 VLDs and five 127 LRXs in 6.5 caliber....the VLDs had a difference of .14 grains and the LRXs had a difference of .60 grains!! Are Hammers Consistent? Absolutely!

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts