GOOD TRIGGER WEIGHT FOR A HUNTING RIFLE?

nksmfamjp

2.5 - 3.5 lbs is about right for me. It comes down to simple questions....will I carry the rifle loaded? Does the safety lock up the striker or the trigger? Can I see/test it is absolutely working? Do I have a concern the mechanism will be solely responsible for safety, or are there parallel safety mechanisms?

For example, Win 70’s lift the striker off the sear and lock it. If the safety fails, the sear catches it. You can see the safety is working because the striker is held back a bit.

On a rig appropriate for this forums purpose, I’m running 12 oz. I know the safety is rock solid and everything has locktite. I wouldn’t be comfortable with factory or a used rifle until I checked it out.

BoomFlop

I try to set all my hunting rifles to 2lbs 6oz-2lbs 9oz. average pull weight on the scale over 10 pulls.

del2les

Hunting rifles I run around 2lbs, varmint rifles are 8-12 oz and target rifles are minimum legal, and BR's are 2 oz. Everything with zero or near zero over travel, and often, I run lighter weight firing pins with heavier springs.

Rich Coyle

All my hunting rifles are 2.5-3.00 I don’t like anything under that on a hunting rifle . Cold weather , a little adrenaline they get lighter on a hunting rig
The last time I had buck fever I could hardly pull the trigger. It seemed like it was twenty pounds not twenty ounces.

Beardeddeer91

I like mine at 2 lbs +/- 2 oz. For me this is heavy enough that I can still feel the trigger and get a nice finger placement with light gloves on, but still seems light enough to get a nice quicker trigger break when I have that adrenaline rush shooting at game.

billcaldwell

When I contacted Timney Triggers to purchase a Calvin Elite, they said they come standard with the trigger set at 8 ounces. I asked them to set it at 1.75 pounds. I installed it in my new 338 Norma. All of our hunting rifles are set for 1.75 lbs.

okie man

I have a couple of cz’s and the set trigger is great. I have them set for 2.5# and 1#. Best of both worlds!

Trending threads