Good Weight for a Hunting Rifle

memtb

Care to share specs on a 3lb 8oz scoped 6.5CM? I would LOVE to see that! I cannot comprehend how nice that would be to carry/pack.
Is it a pistol?

As the 6.5 Creed has developed a “cult” following, I used it as an example. As for the weight, I merely kept “plugging-in” weight values until the recoil was a few pounds lighter than that of my wife’s rifle. As to rifle construction .....I’m thinking all components made of plastic. Plastic should provide adequate structural integrity for the “Creed”! :p

In was a “tongue in cheek” response, in an attempt to show how light rifle would need to be, chambered in the 6.5 Creed ....before recoil becomes an issue for those that can tolerate a little recoil. I guess my sarcasm was wasted! memtb

Last edited:

BrentM

As the 6.5 Creed has developed a “cult” following, I used it as an example. As for the weight, I merely kept “plugging-in” weight values until the recoil was a few pounds lighter than that of my wife’s rifle. As to rifle construction .....I’m thinking all components made of plastic. Plastic should provide adequate structural integrity for the “Creed”! :p

In was a “tongue in cheek” response, in an attempt to show how light rifle would need to be, chambered in the 6.5 Creed ....before recoil becomes an issue for those that can tolerate a little recoil. I guess my sarcasm was wasted! memtb
i understood the hate speech. Ha ha

WYO300RUM

I’ve always hunted with light sporter weight guns. 700 mt rifle, 70 featherweight and always enjoyed hunting with them. Made the switch to a med Palma weight barrel and absolutely hate it for hunting! It’s great to go shoot for fun but it’s horrible on the shoulder, I’m definitely looking for another light sporter for a hunting rifle! The Christensen Mesa in 6.5 prc is looking pretty good right now. 81/2 pounds ready to go is much better than 11pounds for sure
I had the same thing happen to me. My favorite rife to hunt with a Rem mod. 700 in 300 Rum. Has a VX6 4x24x52 on it. Was 10.5 lbs. with factory sporter barrel. Not counting bipod. I had a new 28 in. Bartlien barrel put on it. I cant remember if Palma or Sendero conture but heavy. Bigger recoil lug. A bastard break. Trued action and cerrakoted. It now weighs 13.0 pds. I wont be packing it around in the mountains anymore !
I bought a C.A. Ridgeline in 6.5 PRC. Rifle 6.3 pds.. Put a VX6HD 4x24x52 on it. I dont remember exactly but it's 8.5 pounds. It's very easy on my shoulder :)

WYO300RUM

I have to agree with Aushunter on this. I have several rifles and I pick the one that I think fits the hunt and terrain of that I am hunting. Lighter rifle for long hike hunts. The rifle has to fit your needs not others. And remember the biggest guy in the squad usually carried the Browning 50 cal, the rest carried an M16.
Or carried the M60.

lancetkenyon

I didn't want to just call BS.....
But now I got ya. I am usually fluent in sarcasm. My apologies for the mistranslation.

Ksduckhntr

My hunting rifle is just shy of 10lbs all up with a suppressor. What I have noticed is not so much the weight but the weight distribution while over my shoulder. I trekked around kodiak island and didn’t notice the weight as much as I noticed how the rifle was positioned on my shoulder. I think weight is relative as long as it carries well. My next rifle though I hope to correct this.

littlebighorn

Most all of my hunting is backpack, mountain hunting. For that reason (and also I'm getting pretty old) my ideal rifle weighs 6.5-7lbs. I have found that I will hunt harder and farther with a light weapon, and if I can't get far enough into the back country to find what I'm after, then my rifle isn't doing me any good anyway.

okie man

For me it wasn’t just the extra weight, it’s just I felt I was fighting the extra barrel weight above my shoulder. Which ever way I moved seemed the rifle kept going when I stopped. I’m looking at a backpack style sling but I’m think getting whacked in the head a few time with the barrel will end that.

Ol' Red

I have rifles scoped that are from 7 pds. To 13 pds. . I just consider what type of hunting I'll be doing and what game I'll be hunting and choose. That's the fun part of having multiple rifles. Sometimes tho if you have too many it might take you awhile to choose. It can be a b***h. :)
Exactly!

Latest Classifieds

Nightforce has great tracking capabilities, they are rugged, a bunch of elevation, holds zero forever, and reticles are designed for long range shooting. So if you are looking to shoot long distances constantly, then you need a scope that can take the abuse. -- gilmillan1

Culture Of Excellence At Nightforce Optics
By Len Backus

A high level of quality both in production and in service. Read More

Nightforce is such a solid combo of reticle, available elevation, glass that is good enough to shoot at the longest range you can dial. Nightforce has bullet proof construction that can handle the incidental horse rolling or some other rodeo action. -- bigngreen

Nightforce ATACR Scope Review
By Jeff Brozovich

The new NightForce ATACR is for sure a top choice for any long range shooter. Read More

The total package. Nightforce is the best I have used as far as turret feel and solid detents. I have never had one that didn't track right on and always return to zero. Nightforce NXS is the best value for everything I need. -- Broz

Nightforce Velocity 1000 Reticle Review
By Scott Shreve

I think Nightforce knocked it outta the park with this reticle! Read More

NightForce