Good Weight for a Hunting Rifle

Since walking all over for hours on end is part of your mission, I would stay light light light. Six or seven lbs scoped. And because the rifle is light, I'd also keep to a light-recoiling cartridge such as a middle of the road 6.5 or maybe a 7mm 08.

What's your all's ideal weight for a hunting rifle? Whether it's a 100 yard walk to sit in a stand or to walk all over for hours at a time? Thanks guys let me know!!
As light as possible if you are carrying all day. Heavier if you are in a blind. I have a 280 that's in a 700 mtn rifle with a 4-12X and for hunting muley's it's great especially when you're walking coulees and hills. It's about 6.5 lbs without scope probably closer to 7.5 with and loaded.

Last edited:
I guess mine are heavier than mentioned by other members, ypull eventually find out what works beat for you

My 7mm-08's are 8.5 with scope and my 7mm Rem Mag is 9.5 lbs. Hunt mostly with the 7mm-08 since it's lighter and just 2" shorter, and I got a couple of loads that are good out to 500m, so dont need more. This is for Javelina Coues and Mulies, although sometimes the 7 Mag gets to get out as well.

For Elk then I'd take the 7 Mag, can reach further and only 1 lb more of weight.

I believe in finding a balance between light and heavy, weight helps accuracy whether shooting of a bipod or offhand, at least for me, cant shoot too good with light rifles

This years observation, I built an AR-10 in 6.5 CM. Even with a carbon fiber barrel the gun weighs in at 10 1/2 lbs. carrying with a strap is no problem but 7 1/2 lbs is in the upper alone making it rather unwieldy. In Texas we stand hunt and that last 30 minutes before dark you're spotting with your rifle. With that much weight up front it gets old quick! This became even more apparent when I switched off to my 300 Ham'r which weighs 7 1/2 lbs total!! I'm seriously thinking of going to a small frame AR-10 to get the weight more manageable. Being 66 doesn't help either!

For a tree stand/box blind rifle I don't care. My 6.5 lb AR is good and so is my 16lb 300 win mag. For a all day hiking rifle for climbing mountains in western Montana, my 9lb 300 am is nice and balanced. The 9 lbs includes the scope, base, rings and ammo.

I have a Fierce Firearms CT Carbon Edge in 7mm-08 w 22" Bbl. Carbon stock, titanium action, carbon barrel. Very accurate and deadly, comes in at 6.5 lbs WITH optics. Muzzle brake keeps it from being "snappy" as well as the fact its a 7mm-08, so pretty shoulder friendly. I very much enjoy carrying that one over my 10.5 Lb. .300 Wby Mag...I carried that one many miles in Africa and I could mo' debley tell the difference.

I'm disappointed... I remembered mine being 9 # 1 ounce. I guess that both, my rifle and I need to diet! ;) My wife's rifle is top photo. memtb

ygQinbBl.jpg

FWWKC88l.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.