Long Range Hunting Rifle Weight???

I hear you guys, I've had 9 orthopedic surgeries..

Anyways the j34 is a good pack but it is heavy and not great (to me) for hauling meat. Check out the Stone Glacier packs esp the Solo or Approach for day packs. Also Kuiu has new packs out. Im going to try the Kuiu Ultra 3000 this year. Both companies have nice rifle carrying attachments. Also both have meat shelves to expand load hauling. Both weigh between 3-4lbs.. check em out

Regardless of your condition couch potato or marathon runner, and regardless of how much weight you can spare with other gear, the lighter rifle is going to be much more pleasant to carry in the mountains. This will become increasingly noticeable as miles increase, and as days of the hunt increase. Most importantly, the max range is going to be the energy of the 6.5 bullet, not the accuracy potential of your rifle. Of course this depends on what kind of game you're hunting, and how accurate your rifle is. The increase in accuracy you gain from a 2lb heavier rifle is unlikely to be worth the extra weight on a mountain hunt. Run some numbers in a ballistics program and cross reference the energy with your group size at various ranges. I use 1000 ft/lbs for elk myself, but I know some hunters and guides like to see closer to 2000.

I hunt with a Model 70 300 H & H pre-64 & Leupold 3.5x10 CDS & it's no light rifle for Elk but for Mule Deer a Model 70 .264 Win Mag with a 24 inch barrel & it is lighter but I feel Confident with it to 700 yds. So yes rifle weight does matter I would not carry my 300 H&H for Deer it's just not needed. I use Eberlestock Just one pack & do find it comfortable but heavy for a day pack. I don't think there is a comfortable pack with a heavy load from Elk Quarter to Mule Deer going up hill. I think any heavy load going up hill is tough but this sport is not for the weak & so far I have no knee or back problems at 52. I will also admit I carry to much but at 6'2 & 240 I think I know where I can shed some weight. Last year after a 10 mile hike in Idaho's mountains by Salmon my friend would not let me ride in his truck till he put plastic on the seat, to say I sweat is putting it mildly. But as a ExMarine I just don't know quit.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.